Tiger Airways

ShaunWilson

What would have happened if Tiger said they cancelled the flight due to operational reasons like technical fault, inspection or lack of crew etc?

Is there any travel insurance that coveres such eventualities?

I did, and that's what worries me.

No insurance company I talked to offers any cover if an airline reschedule or cancells flights due to operational reasons. Tiger has won an award for rescheduling flights due to operation reasons....which means buying a ticket with them is a like buying conditional ticket for a "flight that may fly, but may not as well". If you are lucky, you will be ok. Otherwise, expect to pay heaps more.

• 1 month later...

Update: Well after much arguing, and my travel insurance company getting on to them, they have refunded the return leg of our flights after 9 weeks of messing us around. Glad we took out the insurance, as they have been great in getting involved and knowing the legalities which we would never know about. Just waiting for the insurance now to pay out the difference we had to pay to get other flights sorted, extra accomodation, and hire car. So glad we took it out, and will not travel anywhere now without travel insurance!!!!

Glad that finally Tiger refunded the ticket costs of the cancelled flight. I'd be interested to know what the legalities that you got to know from your travel insurance.

cheers

They are shocking. Won't happen to me again as i won't be using them again!!!

I am so looking forward to my Christmas day flight with Tiger to the Gold coast now, not worried, really not worried, not at all worried something will go wrong.:err::(

Simon

going to fly Tiger and not worried :):)

Don't worry :-) Tiger says they have the lowest cancellation rate of all domestic Australian carriers.

"Tiger works hard to keep them to a minimum and actually has the lowest cancellation rate of all major domestic airlines since we started operations in November 2007."

I have no idea how true this claim is.

This is my explanation

Tiger's definition of "cancellation rate" must be somthing dodgy like "Number of cancellations per year".

Say Tiger has cancelled 30 flights a year and other airlines have cancelled slightly higher numbers.

Then, Tiger has the lowest "cancellation rate".