New Rental

redwing

Hi Guys

We are moving to a new rental tomorrow and only noticed yesterday when I had picked up the keys and went to the house that there were no blinds in the en-suite, toilet or main bathroom and kitchen. The blinds and curtains that are there are only 1/2 size they do not cover the whole window, the thing is that when we went around on the open day it was an ex show house and one does not notice these things. So who is responsible for the curtains and blinds as it is not mentioned in the rental contract.

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

Steve

Guest motlyman

You would need to speak to the agent. You would be responsible for cleaning and general up keep of of anything in the house.

Most landlords would'nt be interested in changing anything whereas some would.

We have had a few rentals since being here and have asked to put our own stuff up.

This is generally ok as long as you put the original items back when you leave.

Colin

Guest nikki & john

Hiya, from memory (and I may be wrong its been a while) the Landlord isn't obliged to provide window coverings such as blinds but is obliged to provide fixings/fittings to allow you to put up curtains of your own. But when in doubt give the OCBA advice line a ring on 8204 9544 and they should be able to tell you for sure. Good luck

Nikki

I've had a few rentals that have not have curtains/blinds on some windows, or not enough to close the gap ....... nothing you can do about it except be inventive, or ask to put up your own and then reinstate back to rental condition when you leave. I've also had occassions when taking nets down to wash when they have disintegrated ........ I've replaced some, left others and had the landlord offer to replace them sometimes.

If you have the rod/pocket type curtains (very common in rentals) and they don't quite cover the gap, try buying some cheap rod pocket satin or gossamer curtains, take the original curtains off the rod, thread the new ones through on to the middle of the rod, replace the old ones onto the rod, then loop the new ones round and through the original curtains (like tying half a knot) so they sort of look like tie backs. They look quite decorative during the day, and can be undone at night to close the gap completely. (hard to explain I'll have to try to find some pics!)

Sharon

Thanks guys, we have moved in this afternoon and so I will go around and measure the windows that need blinds and tomorrow ask the estate agent if the land lord is going to provide or subsidise us getting them fitted. We will make a trip to Ikea

Its only when one moves in that you realise what you need, eg no plugs for any of the sinks or bath and please don't laugh :biglaugh:the reverse cycle ac unit instructions, in the previous rental we just had a wall mounted unit, easy, either on or off.

Ah well time for a beer or two.

Thanks

Steve:notworthy: