Oh my my, what have I done

Guest mike and tor

Guest calamitycaz
How are the stress levels today? You must be getting excited as the big day gets nearer.

I'm really down in the dumps today - the boiler's packed up again,:arghh:the weather's pants, the PC has gone away to remove a serious virus infections :realmad:and our application took 5 days to arrive by registered 1st class post. :sad:

Only on the 2nd step of the ladder and the prospect of waiting 20 months before we even get a case worker is really not helping. The prospect of 2 more UK winter's is not good and who know's what our house will be worth when/if we get the go-ahead.

Good luck to all of you about to start on the big adventure and hope to see you there one day.

Oh dear!! I have to say this is the reason that I have decided to bite the bullet and use my visa just before it expires - I was told at an expo a couple of weeks ago that the Skills List had changed, visa applications had changed, and it would cost a packet to reapply, and the thought of having to go through it all again was an awful thought! If it's any consolation, my visa was granted on 6th March 2006 and I've watched FOUR horrid winters go by without ever knowing if I'd be ballsy enough to emigrate on my own with the kids.

Do you fancy coming to a meet up? might help to chat with everyone who is going through the same? I've put a post on the socials board x

I know what you mean after 2 years of the visa process we received ours end of last year and put the house on the market in Jan but no takers (dont say it, i did want to put the house up then but hubby wudnt) and we dont really want to waste money coming over to validate our visa. We are also thinking of renting out our house but that means all our money will be tied up in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience of renting in the UK whilst in Oz, we have a property in Spain which is a nightmare (lost all money on that one).

What i really want to say is, is it worth renting out your UK house?

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
I know what you mean after 2 years of the visa process we received ours end of last year and put the house on the market in Jan but no takers (dont say it, i did want to put the house up then but hubby wudnt) and we dont really want to waste money coming over to validate our visa. We are also thinking of renting out our house but that means all our money will be tied up in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience of renting in the UK whilst in Oz, we have a property in Spain which is a nightmare (lost all money on that one).

What i really want to say is, is it worth renting out your UK house?

Hi

I'm renting my house out in the uk. The rent doesn't cover my mortgage which is a bit of a worry sometimes, and the renting agent doesn't check stuff properly. If I could have sold it for a rpofit I would have but we weren't sure if we were going to stay so we kept it as a safety net.

I've had two tenants in 1 year, and it was an extra stress not having benefits etc as was on the worng visa but if you've got two wages etc and beenfits it might be worth just renting it, so long as you don't have to sub it much.

I personally have flet like it was a noose around my neck at times (sorry to be so dramatic) but we couldn;t sel ours either and if we didn't rent it we couldn;t have come os its a catch 22 really.

Hope that helps somewhat. PM me for more.

Sarah.

Good luck with your decisions.

I know what you mean about the noose thing, we feel like that about the house in spain, first time we ever used money on our home to better ourselves and it has bitten us in the arse!

I feel the same about renting the house in the uk as just want to get to Oz but worried i will make another housing mistake. I love my house/home hear and cant bear the fact that somebody might ruin it.

From what weve seen the rent will easily pay the mortgage although am sure there will be all sorts of cost the letting agent hasnt told me about yet.

Think i need to have a serious talk with the hubby.

Thanks for your thoughts

I know!!!! £1.20 for diesel :shocked:

Cost us £1.23! told you things were bad! :wacko: Just got the PC back after another infection. Loads more virus protection added.:policeman:

At least the boiler is working now but our completed and checked application can't be sent to Perth as the Volcano has grounded all flights and that presumably means post to Australia too.:sad:

hey ho - it must get better soon

Don't give up, things can only get better :) x

Thanks Caz - was thinking of changing my name to Calamity Jane now but you pipped me to it!:notworthy:

Feeling a little more cheerful today. The sun is shining, flights are starting to go out from England and I have a full tank of petrol! The computer is working well and so are the cental heatral heating and hot water.:D

Guest rockpool crab
:jiggy:

Oh dear, I suppose I had explain my 'situation'. I applied and got a job as a nurse, they will sponsor me and last week I recieved the nomination number. I submitted my application and today had the medical and blood tests (and no I did not vomit this time nor did I pass out)

The scary thing is the completion date on my house sale is 7th May. So now I am running around looking for rentals for when I hit Ade on or around the 10th May. This is in between shipping the dog over and my stuff too. And the usual organisation of bank accounts etc.

Maybe I should not of accepted the house sale eh!

So as you can guess, I am a little stressed lol.

On a serious note, does any one know where I can get a rental house for around $300-$350 per week?

And just a warning for the rest of you reading this post and laughing, I will be there soon :biglaugh:

Mike

Our rental will be up on 21st May..in Port Noarlunga..

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/renting-real-estate/16296-breaking-lease-5-bedroom-home-pool-fab-outdoor-area.html

Hope that link works..but if not it's in the rent section of the forum. You could do a short term rental for a couple of weeks and then do as we did and buy your outdoor furniture and use it indoors, borrow sofa bed (thanks cornelia :-), we bought a couple of single beds as we knew we needed them for this rental and we didn't have those in container. You can always make it work and it goes fast till your container comes..you'd be surprised.

Carol Ann

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mike and tor

ok folks just an update.

I have had an offer on the house, quite below the asking price, quite quite a bit. But it is a cash buyer, so what the hell. If it all goes to plan the house should be finalised on Monday 17th May this year. I have contacted the shipping company to see when they can come and ship my gear. The buyers will give me until the 28th to move. However I think I can busy myself and push for the 19th. Hey its all about getting to Adelaide right? so some elbow greece may be required.

So can I ask a favour from POA. Everyone please pray to who ever they pray to and ask for this to work for me and Tor. I draw the line at offers of voodoo (unless its to my exwife) COME ON.

I will certainly do that for you. 19th!! my stress levels would be through the roof.

We have news too, my boys have decided to rent my house from me along with a friend (yeah i know 3 men in my tice tidy clean house) so we are going to book our flights this weekend and will arrive in Adelaide in September, and i dont think thats enough time. We have no jobs, no accomodation and dont know anyone!!

GOOD LUCK to you and let me know how you get on.

Guest WhatNow?

Hi - know how that feels, mine was sold last year for about 3 weeks then fell through and is still on the market with tenants in.

When you are ready to come over, try Donna Jacobs at Real Estate Owners - Welcome

She has helped many people we know with short/medium term furnished accommodation and is friendly and approachable. Has anyone mentioned that when you are looking for your longer term rental, having a dog will severely limit the properties you can rent? Most owners will either refuse to have pets or will charge you extra either in rent or as a bond against any damage you pet may do to the property. www.realestate.com.au is excellent for giving you an idea of what is available. Use the blue Rentals tab rather than the red Sales tab, put in your preferred max and min rental payment, number of bedrooms you want and select which area you want and it will search and provide you with a selection of properties that fall into those limits. IT will also tell you if pets are permitted or not, and even if it says they are not welcome, you can often negotiate on this by offering more than the asking amount if you really want that rental.

Guest calamitycaz

YAY! Great news Mike....so if you and Tor are arriving first you can scout a good pub out for that beer and pork scratchings yes?!! X

Guest mike and tor

I am not taking the mick here. I recall asking for no voodoo as it can go wrong. So to the person/people that did use voodoo (no doubt are labour voters with some anger issues) I want to tell you that I know you have used it. How do I know? Well simple, I woke up on Saturday morning and the top of my head had expanded and thus I have a hairless patch on the top of my head. Hold on there is more, my waist line exanded and now overhangs my jeans. Please this is not funny dont do it again.:GEEK: