Sorry but I need some help...

Guest Libby1971

• 6 months later...
Guest fluff

I have just found this thread from long ago...I wanted to add to some points of reality.

First I assume that things have gotten better for you Libby?

I have come here on my own, with no family, no friends, no partner (still in UK, trying to get visa). I have come as a mature student. And it was always my dream.

When I arrived late Jan 08...everything was peachy. Lots of festivals, culture, interesting things to do. However after about a month of 'being on holiday'....I started to realise how things were not quite falling into place. I struggled (and still am) to find a decent job to fit around my studies. I have no income and am just about to run out of funds. I have been fortunate to be able to borrow some money from family back home.

I am renting a room, but realised that it was just that...a room. Not a home, not great communication with other housemates. And wow...I suddenly felt the most isolated I have ever felt. I have struggled finding a social life...and miss my wonderful one back home. I don't know where to meet people. I have travelled all over the world and have never felt the despair and isolation that I have felt here. And it has been so conflicting with what should be my dream. I thought many times about going home. But I love my course and what I learn, and it would be devastating to give it up.

I find Adelaide a very reserved place. I have never been short of friends or being able to make connections. But here it seems different. Lonely. At college, I don't seem to fit in to the couples/married with kids (returning to study) bracket...and I don't fit into the just left school bracket. There is no inbetween. All the International students have other students from their home country here. So it's kind of like no mans land. And although I get on great with everyone...they all go home at the end of the day, to their own lives. Which is perfectly understandable. And I come home to my non-existent one here.

It all came to a head, when filling out yet another job application form, I got to the part of 'emergency contact' and fell apart. It suddenly hit me that I had nobody to write (here) as my emergency contact. How sad is that? And then I thought, who would be there for me if anything happened, or notice?

So I want to put forward that it is not "all a bed of roses"...even when it is your own dream. It is hard to leave your family, loved ones, friends, social life, house, familiarity. Especially if everything doesn't just fall into place immediately. This site has been a lifeline to me. I don't know where I would be without the generosity and endless support from Kerry. Not to mention Graham, Karen, Pam, Sarah and Rachel...who by just being around have given me hope at times when I needed it...even if they didn't realise it.

My situation is still the same....no job, no permanent home, no income. But I feel that things are starting to look up and there is going to be a positive change very soon. And my partner is coming to visit for 3 weeks next week. Thank the lord for small mercies!!!

So maybe it's just a question of time? But to re-iterate, if you have no one that you feel you can express to...because everything is wonderful for everyone else and the sun is shining and those back home are jealous...it is the loneliest feeling.

So chin up to me and everyone who is or has gone through this feeling. Glad to know that "you are not alone". Let's get it out in the open on this wonderful supporting site.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

Fluff.

Guest Libby1971

((((((((((((fluff))))))))))))

:(

I have no idea real idea what to say to you. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, although I do appreciate that at night, in bed, that is very much how it is going to feel.

I am working this week which is depressing as I have developed a strong desire for coffee mornings. But then I have the hols, which is great. So maybe you would like to pop over for a coffee chez moi.

I am thinking of you, and as you say, your partner is on their way so that will be lovely.

Libby

Guest paul_smart

Hi Libby,

One of my biggest fears is moving out there and my other half hating it or having feelings like you are having, I came back to the UK in 2004 and have not settled at all, I appreciate England a lot more for what it has to offer in the way of theatres culture etc, but I know I am not and won't be settled until I can get back to OZ, talk to your husband as dealing with it alone is difficult and get out on your own socially, look up your own hobbies and branch out then you may see what your after, as it sounds as though it's a bit cloudy right now! My better half is always saying things like "this is your thing" though she is keen to go! in a years time I might be asking your advice on how you got over it!

Guest Roz G

Hi Libby

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit low right now and that you're little girl has been unwell too. I've been reading this thread with interest. Only you know how you're feeling and it's great you can speak to your OH about it and of course all of us on here.

You've been here for everyone else on this site, let us be here now for you.

Take care, look after yourself and you know where we are if you need 2 chat.

Love

Roz

Guest The Pottertons

Hi Libby, Dont have any advice as have not been through this yet but just wanted to add that im sorry you have been feeling so down. You remind me a lot of myself in the way you describe your situation. I tend to listen to everyone else and try to make everyone happy and consequently find it hard to reveal my feelings to close ones, im meant to be the strong one!. Thats why this forum is so good for allowing you to get it all out. Hope little sophie feels better soon, you must be really worried. And i really hope you feel better about things soon! Xx:wubclub:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi Guys,

A few of you might be a bit thrown out with this thread in the fact that poor Libby was on a low back in September when she first posted, I think I know her well enough now to say thinks are a lot lot better and things are going well for Libby and family, the thread as remerged due to the fact that now Fluff is at a low and struggling and it is indeed him who requires your words of wisdom and support,

Guzzler

Guest fluff

Thanks Guzzler ... muchly appreciated. I must admit that although my situation is still the same, my feelings are nowhere near at that same low. The support from here has been endless and helped me tremendously. Thank you all.

P.s I am a she, not a he!!!

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Thanks Guzzler ... muchly appreciated. I must admit that although my situation is still the same, my feelings are nowhere near at that same low. The support from here has been endless and helped me tremendously. Thank you all.

P.s I am a she, not a he!!!

Do apologise for the mix up, very glad to hear that you a feeling a bit brighter, stick at it, be positive and things will work out,

Good luck

Guzzler

Hi Libby, I,m New To This Site But Your Thread Has Struck A Cord With Me. Ive Been Here Six Months And Love Parts Of It But Find Many Other Aspects So Difficult. I Feel I Could Go Into A Depression If I Dont Do Something About It!