Sallyh

So what's your favourite food this weather?

Just wondered about what everyone else likes to eat this weather.. always good to get new ideas for family eating that keeps children's energy levels up but isn't too high maintenance or hot to cook!

Oh and what did you eat Christmas day? (Tho it wasn't incredibly hot). We had dinner with the inlaws who traditionally seem to like to BBQ a turkey roll (NOT my favourite dinner but hey someone else cooked it and the family dinner was nice). There seem to be more hot dishes on the table these days (think MIL does that for me!) but also traditional German potato salad, sauerkraut (I didn't try that, I forgot!) etc.

So today of all days we are christening the new gas BBQ but will be at teatime so hopefully a bit cooler. I'm currently roasting veg in balsamic, olive oil and brown sugar to have cold later - and then with stacks of hoummous in wraps tomorrow.

Anyway. What's on your menu today and throughout the summer?

oh some other things we love are home made pizzas - usually just put ham and pineapple and cheese on top of the tomato paste (which I mix with a bit of sugar and soy sauce for BBQ flavour topping) and salad with that.

Also JPs with a mix of everything for everyone to choose from, whatever's free - leftover casserole out of freezer, grated cheese and PLOUGHMANS PICKLE (currently having a ploughmans pickle revival!!!!), baked beans, cottage cheese, philadelphia (kids' fave).

Guest Chandan

was given a icecream maker for christmas.. made cheery icecream last night.. have died and gone to heaven.. but will have to be good and make frozen yogurts and gelato instead.. just to be healthy!

If anyone has any ideas that involve ham I would love to know. my brother gave me a leg of ham for christmas.. we have been eating it for a week and there is still 3/4 of a leg to go...

chop useable bits off it and freeze them to get out when you want more...

this BBC good food recipe is great, you could have it with any dinner: Quick braised cabbage with pancetta recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

chunks in omelette, macaroni cheese, or any casserole you are making, risotto (could get extra meats such as chorizo and chicken to make a risotto / paella type dish)

use it on home made pizza.

Guest Chandan

have done all of the above excpet for paella idea.. luckily hubby likes ham sandwiches! thanks so much help!

Guest guest3462

We're having piri piri chicken with spiced cous cous salad for dinner tonight! Yummy hot or cold!!!

Tomorrow I'm cooking a joint of pork (my mum always did pork new year so now I do!!) on the BBQ and we'll have it cold with pre roasted veggies and salad with a homemade tomato salsa and homemade garlic bread. Any leftover pork will go into Sandwiches for our picnic in belair on sunday!

Guest Chandan

thanks for that... have some puff pastry in the freezer will try them tomorrow..

And yes have frozen some..

Shame it isnt pea n ham soup weather..