Skills assessment, confused big time

Guest fishes20

Sorry mate life getting in the way,

A three knife trimmer is a machine that trims of unwanted parts of a leaflet or booklet after it has been stiched and folded.

Blinder creep is a finishing term. When pages are collated into a book the centre pages stick out further than the outside ones. This is called page creep or binders creep.

And yes it does mean dot gain.

Dave

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

Cheers mate, Binder creep, you would think they would spell things correctly on such an important form lol, no wonder i couldnt google it. I am on my short turn around now, all work no play.

thanks again.

Whats made you make the move to oz mate. Do you have a family? are they keen?

Jase

Hi Jase,

Sorry for the delay. On nights this week and im never anygood to man or beast, when on nights. Yes, all family are desperate to get out to Adelaide. City was always going to be our first choice, for the laid back life. I am married with two kids aged 14 and 6 and they are both as keen.

The whole process is starting to get a bit wearing, but we can just about see the light at the end of the dark long tunnel. It would be better if we cokld get a case officer for our application. My future employer is starting to get a bit frantic over the worklosd he has. Thid is the last chance saloon fot us, as I am 45 this May.

And you, why are you starting to put yourself through thid hell?

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

We are generally cheesed of with this country, and want something better for the children, it is something we spoke about for years, but now the plan is in action. Our kids are nearly 6 and nearly 1, so probably best time to go.

Just some further questions if you dont mind.

The importance of grain direction on:

Brochures

Books

Labels

Asked the lad who runs a flexo web at our place printing labels and he didnt even know... great eh!

I am off now till Sunday night then 3 nights on and 8 days off after that, cant wait.

Thanks again

Jase

No problems.:dull:

Books : text work on a book, the grain does not really matter. But on the cover the grain must go with the direction of the spine on the book. This will stop spine of book cracking. Bookcovers are mostly on thicker stock so should be on long grain as this stock will mould round cylinders better when printing.

Labels : Do not do any label work. But again it is dependent how job is planned up. If its a label to go on a tin then the long edge of the label ( top and bottem ) should be with the grain in order to curl round the tin. If I were to guess, I would go for short grain.

Brochures : as book work. Text does not matter but covers should be long grain.

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

Just sent off written test and evidence 96 pages lol, hope its enough took nearly 2 and half hours to upload it all. so its the waiting again.

Jumping the gun a little here, but if or when i get my AQFIII what do i need to do with TRA

Thanks again

Jase

Any news on your visa

Hi Jase,

I will look up all the paperwork I had to put in for the TRA Application. I thinks its mostly work history and work training. They want to see that you have had training or on the job training for your proffession. Give me a couple of days. Snowed under at present.

Nothing so far as our application goes. Still waiting for a case officer at Melbourne.:arghh:

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

No probs, I thought that was what the skill assessment was for, so the TRA want all the same sort of info basically, is the fact youve just passed for an aqf III not good enough, now i am confused again. Is the TRA like a Union memebership I am a union member in the uk.

How did you get your job offer by the way, is it something you found yourself, or did they approach you after seeing your details somewhere.

Thanks as ever

Jase

Hi Mate,

Yes unfortunately you have to do everything and then everthing again !!!!!

The TRA stand for Trade Recognition Australia. It just basically makes sure that it is a trade that is in demand in Australia. Unfortunately, you have to put in a great deal of paperwork to satisfy them.

I am going to try and contact you directly, without going through this thread. Then I can forward on all the infomation I received about the TRA. You will have to fill out a Migration Skills Assessment Application which I have on file. I think you can also download it from the TRA Website.

The members list is down at present so I cant get in touch, but I will try again.

Bit risky sending your details via this threat in feel?

Watch this space...............Dave.

Guest fishes20

Hi dave

Just passed AQF lll written test, need to book skype technical interview now, woo bit quicker than i thought( i was expecting at least 2 weeks). need to buy headphones and a mike now lol.

Hope you are ok.

jase

Hi Jase,

Blimey that was quick, mine took about three weeks. Mind you there was a backlog when I did mine. Anyway, good news you passed.:jiggy:

When you have your interview, make sure have some printed sheets you have produced at home so you can show him. He may ask you a couple of questions on these. The interviewer will probably be Andrew Reynolds......nice guy.

Did you manange to download the TRA documents?

Dave

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

yes got the TRA docs, thanks a lot. Bit of a pain it cant be done online, sending all that via post is a bit daft, why you cant do it like the AQF and photograph everything is easier. I dont have any printed sheets from work, i did photograph some and send them with the written work.

Jase

Guest tuckerfitz

HI Jase and Dave,

Hope you don't mind me asking a question. I am appplying for the 176 visa to include my partner and baby. My partner is also a litho printer would he need to do the skills assessment as he has full apprenticeship papers and a city and guilds from the london college of printing.

Thanks in advance

Claire

HI Jase and Dave,

Hope you don't mind me asking a question. I am appplying for the 176 visa to include my partner and baby. My partner is also a litho printer would he need to do the skills assessment as he has full apprenticeship papers and a city and guilds from the london college of printing.

Thanks in advance

Claire

Hello Claire,

Firstly are you applying for the visa or is it your partner. If it is the printer he should be alright if he has done his full apprenticeship, but it may be worth checking out with the ASA. (DETAILS ON FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD)

Also when I had my interview for my printing job in Adelaide, I was told by the director of the company that all of the printers on his staff were having to take the AQF 111 in printing and graphical studies. This is an australia printing qualification and this is what I had to do with the ASA.

Give Allan a ring at the ASA to confirm.

Dave.

Guest fishes20

Hi Claire

Your O.H may be able to go straight to TRA on the suitable pathway, but as dave says check with asa first, i am doing a skills assessment because i did a 2 year in house apprenticeship at a place which has long since closed, i am getting my TRA on pathway E with AQFlll

Jase

Guest tuckerfitz

Hi Jase and Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I will be applying for the visa as a public relations professional but would obviously like him to be able to get work as well.

I will email the asa and see what they think.

Thanks

Guest fishes20

Hi Dave

Technical interview booked in for 9.30 pm our time, next tuesday..... Gives me chance to get some printed sheets from work. Anything else that may be use you can suggest.

Cheers

Jase

Hi Jase and Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I will be applying for the visa as a public relations professional but would obviously like him to be able to get work as well.

I will email the asa and see what they think.

Thanks

HI Claire,

If you are going over on your visa, I dont think your other half will need to do anything. The visa will be in your name so he will not have to apply for anything. He will be free to work when you get over

Dave.

Hi Dave

Technical interview booked in for 9.30 pm our time, next tuesday..... Gives me chance to get some printed sheets from work. Anything else that may be use you can suggest.

Cheers

Jase

Hi mate,

Think your all set to go. Good luck on the night and say HI to Andrew for me.

Let me know how you get on.

Dave.

Hi Mate,

Great news, congrats and all that. Now for the slog.

We have heard........ not a sausage. We may have someone interested in buying our house, which is a bit of good news. Case officer is thinking of putting in an application for state sponsorship, just in case the ENS falls by the wayside. Dont know if its a good idea putting in multiple applications, but I suppose she knows the score.

Arsenal drew with sunderland..........not a good score for a cockney in Durham!!!

Dave.