Teaching - primary

Guest natstar
HI natstar, could you please clarify what the 4 digit codes are for,

Cheers K

I'm sorry lol, the digits at the top and just underneath are 8 digit phone numbers, i cut and pasted it wrong. They are all South Australian phone numbers.

Hills TRT Booking Scheme 08 8391 1562

Noarlunga Basin TRT Scheme 08 8382 3266

PeninsulaTRT Scheme 08 8240 1394

Salisbury TRT Scheme 08 8266 7402

Southern TRT Scheme 08 8326 8239

Tea Tree Gully TRT Scheme 08 8395 1575

Guest Ian Butler

Hi All

An interesting post! I'm a primary school teacher in the UK (been teaching 7 years) and qualified via someting called a graduate teacher programme (GTP). My family and I are moving over Feb/March 2012. I have been led to believe that the GTP isn't recognised in Australia - although some seem to think it is when used for supply/relief teaching. I would be grateful if anyone had any advice on this.

I also realise, moreso after reading this forum, that I may need to look elsewhere instead of teaching. I'd be interested to know of anyone's experience of entering the job market after teaching - ie I worked in marketing before but haven't done so for around 8 years. I was wondering how realistic it is to land a job in marketing with a CV that doesn't have recent experience in the field. I am determined to make the move but really don't know which employment path to tread!!! Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Ian

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi All

An interesting post! I'm a primary school teacher in the UK (been teaching 7 years) and qualified via someting called a graduate teacher programme (GTP). My family and I are moving over Feb/March 2012. I have been led to believe that the GTP isn't recognised in Australia - although some seem to think it is when used for supply/relief teaching. I would be grateful if anyone had any advice on this.

I also realise, moreso after reading this forum, that I may need to look elsewhere instead of teaching. I'd be interested to know of anyone's experience of entering the job market after teaching - ie I worked in marketing before but haven't done so for around 8 years. I was wondering how realistic it is to land a job in marketing with a CV that doesn't have recent experience in the field. I am determined to make the move but really don't know which employment path to tread!!! Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Ian

GTP is not recognised full stop - you cannot use it for supply work, nor migration purposes. You can do a conversion course, I believe it is currently 1 year, but is going to 2 years long from next year - if you are already planning on coming over, do you already have your visas? In which case you may be a home student, not an international, which makes the fees a lot less! :) If you contact the uni they can give you more details.

IMHO I don't think its like 'you can't get a job in teaching' you just need to be realistic in terms of how contracts work in Australia, and with regards to areas you are willing to work in and having to put the leg work in to get your face seen - look at Natstar's post above with regards to jobs that have just been posted on the DECS site for jobs within Adelaide - although it is likely there will be a similar amount of people applying for each primary job as there are in the UK (from experience, if you are any good, then that does not make it impossible to get a job at all - I managed it despite not being Primary trained in the UK and everyone on TES saying there were no jobs and up to 400 applicants per job). Just don't think you are going to walk into a job is probably a better way of looking at it (obviously, I am not there currently, and we all want to hear from people actually there and teaching currently, but to be honest they seem to be thin on the ground on here....). Although, on second thoughts - yep, go get a job outside of teaching and leave more jobs for me :biglaugh: hehe! :)

Guest Ian Butler

Thanks for the post. It's an honest opinion and one that seems to be fair game. I already have my visa as the wife is also a teacher (not GTP trained) and she was the main applicant. However, I will be the main (only) wage earner as we have a baby daughter so she wont be working for a couple of years. The re-training could be a poosibility in the future but I'll need to start earning as my wage will pay the bills, so I guess I need to look at other job opportunities. I guess I still hope that the GTP will become recognised in the future...but I also realise that this is just wishful thinking. So it's just now a case of finding another career, inside education would be good but I suppose anything will do!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I noticed a posting on a yahoo answers page which said that Primary Teachers needed to have a IELTS academic cert and not a general cert - is this true?

I thought the academic was only for those wishing to train or be educated at further/higher education institutions

My OH is the main app and has a general cert; it's vital as we need the extra points for superior English.

Thanks in anticipation.

IrishStew (OH).

Guest Becster19

I am a secondary teacher and I only did the general which was fine. I also needed the extra points and got all this on the general certificate. You don't need the academic for teaching.

Guest Adelaide_bound

I did the Academic as at the time I was being told different things by different people in SA - it wasn't a problem at all during SS or 176 with DIAC, and I worked on the basis that the Academic wouldn't be turned down if I only needed General, but it would the other way around. There was some confusion about registration with TRB as well, once we get to SA, but that's down the list of things to do at the moment, so not sure if you even need IELTS for that :S I seem to recall thinking it was SA, rather than DIAC that wanted the academic, and then further on with the TRB. I may well be wrong however so I'd email SA immi to check.

However, for a teacher, the academic really isn't a struggle over the general version imho, so if you need to take/retake and you are still unsure, just go for Academic imho.

Guest Becster19

I had a look on TRB yesterday and it says they are introducing IELTS and other English tests for those registering but it doesn't apply to you if you have studied for 4 years (inc your teacher training) at a university in Australia, Britain, UK, USA or Canada. They do request the academic though but if your wife did her teacher training in an English speaking country, you are fine.

I had a look on TRB yesterday and it says they are introducing IELTS and other English tests for those registering but it doesn't apply to you if you have studied for 4 years (inc your teacher training) at a university in Australia, Britain, UK, USA or Canada. They do request the academic though but if your wife did her teacher training in an English speaking country, you are fine.

Cheers Becster19,

That's helpful and clears up my confusion, must rush of to work now - at least it's Friday!

:jiggy:

IrishStew (OH)