some possibly silly questions!!! help needed!!!

KathC

hi all.....

we now have our visas, flights organised for december and shipping of goods sort of organised, somewhere to stay on arrival and appt at high school for oldest son arranged on 20th jan....BUT....now am wondering....do i ask his school here in the uk for an assessment or some sort of final report to bring with us??? and also what about our medical / dental records??? can we ask for them to bring with us ??

sorry if sounding a bit dumb...got so much going on in head....!!!!

many thanks!!

kath (vet nurse)

shaun (electrician)

niall (15)

billy (5)

Guest Pam777

just bring red books, you dont need anything else from doctors. with regards to dental records, i wouldnt bother. if you have had recent xrays they might be useful but that would be all you will need. we just take new ones when you come for your first chck up. the xrays are taken every 2 years so if they are older than that, dont waste your time. I think its a good idea to get a recent report from school to bring to the new school.

Hi Kath,it sounds as if we are in the same place as you.We had our visas at the end of march and have just put our house up for sale today.We have 3 children ages 8,5 and 2.We are hoping to be in oz before christmas and have been looking at schools.We have had our first removals company visit today and have been advised to use a 40 foot container and should be looking at about £6-£7000.I was quite shocked but that was only our first quote we have another 3 booked over the next 2 weeks.I have been struggling trying to find accomadation for the first few weeks of arrival-the prices were ridiculous quoting upto $1000 a week for the 5 of us-house rentals seem difficult to secure from this end and its hard to see wether they would be in a nice area without seeing them first,Where about are you thinking of settling.We like the sound of Happy Valley and have been looking around this area.Which removal company have you decided to use and what sort of accomadation have you decided to use when you first arrive ? My husband is also an electrician and I am a dental nurse.Has your husband got an electrical job lined up ? Sorry about all the questions but now everythings ready to go im having a panic crisis,thanks clare

Guest Mitchell

If you are currently taking medication it's worth getting a 4 page summary from your GP. I've found it very helpful in getting repeats and the Drs here love it. You can ask your UK GP for a larger repeat before you leave too so you don't have to worry for a bit :)

Guest ebstar
Hi Kath,it sounds as if we are in the same place as you.We had our visas at the end of march and have just put our house up for sale today.We have 3 children ages 8,5 and 2.We are hoping to be in oz before christmas and have been looking at schools.We have had our first removals company visit today and have been advised to use a 40 foot container and should be looking at about £6-£7000.I was quite shocked but that was only our first quote we have another 3 booked over the next 2 weeks.I have been struggling trying to find accomadation for the first few weeks of arrival-the prices were ridiculous quoting upto $1000 a week for the 5 of us-house rentals seem difficult to secure from this end and its hard to see wether they would be in a nice area without seeing them first,Where about are you thinking of settling.We like the sound of Happy Valley and have been looking around this area.Which removal company have you decided to use and what sort of accomadation have you decided to use when you first arrive ? My husband is also an electrician and I am a dental nurse.Has your husband got an electrical job lined up ? Sorry about all the questions but now everythings ready to go im having a panic crisis,thanks clare

Hi there, we arrived nearly two weeks ago and are still in the throws of sorting out er well everything. It is definately worth getting a few quotes for the the shipping as there can be huge differences between companies.With accomodation have you tried margaritas? We are also a family of 5 and are staying at the Hallett cove property.It says on the site 2 bed (sleeps 4) but the owner is really flexible.We were struggling to find anywhere with availability as from visa grant to move was only 4 weeks! we are waiting to hear back this morning to see if we have secured a rental in Happy Valley (it's about 10 mins from where we are staying).We have found some areas to be a little more built up than we had expected but Happy Valley seems to have what we need,along with lots of trees and great views. Like anything it's a personal choice.we have found lots of yes areas and some definate no's.Sorting a job for arrival gives you peace of mind on one hand but can cause issues aswell.My oh had a job lined up which was and still is great but he was supposed to have two weeks off on arrival and only got a couple of days.His job is not in the most accessable part of the city for where we want to live so he has had the hire car ( he leaves at 6.30)and i have been trying to sort what i can along with 3 very jet lagged, bored kids. It's half term at the moment but we will be looking at the local schools next week when they re-open. My 3 are 14,10 and 9. If you pm me in a week or so i will let you know what the schools are like. If there is anything else you would like to know about this area i will do my best to answer (although it may take a few days as things are so hectic).x

wow,i didnt realise you were actually there,thats fab.What a coincidence you are going for happy valley too,i have looked at so many places but kept going back to happy valley,sems to have everything we want.Its great your husband had gone straight to work but must be so hard for you with the kids! I bet its just chaos with you at the moment but so exciting too.I will get back to you in a few weeks to catch up and find out about the schools if thats ok with you and good luck with sorting everything out in the meantime,clare

Hi guys we leave for adelaide on the 31 august and have found some holiday accommodation at west beach so the only cheapest option we could find... this is the info which was provide for us

Did you have a look on Total Travel?

The Glenelg units are closer to shops & more public transport.

They are a large 2 bedroom unit fully self contained. full cooking facilities, linen provided.

Washing & ironing facilities in each unit.

Weekly rate for 2 weeks would be $732 per week.

The other units that I manage are Beachside Holiday Units at

90 Seaview Road

West Beach.

These are 2 bedroom, fully self contained units.

Double bed in the main bedroom,

Single bed & single bunk in the 2nd bedroom.

Full self contained, full cook facilities, linen provided.

Washing & ironing facilities in each unit.

Cost of these is$650 per week.

hope this helps

tracey