newly qualified electrician questions!

Guest orlaandjoe

Hello, this sound a bit worrying. Hubby got the skilled visa 176 granted as electrician by using Vetasses early this year and it is fully recognised by TRA. He also finished doing electrical gap training so it will help him find job easier (we hope)! hopefully all he have to do is get a white card when we get there. It would be very upsetting if he will have to do it again after all the hard work he's put in it. How is electrical jobs doing in SA?

Hi, if you have the OSTR you will be working as a trades assistant for 12 months. Only way around this in SA is to get the ARTC from the TRA You will also have to pass the wiring regs course aswell before you can get your A class licence from energy safe.

Go on British expats forum and look under the electricians thread, loads of info on which is the best way in each state. From what I have read from the guys that have gone over in the last year this is still the quickest way.

Would love to find a quicker one though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maria Day
Hi, if you have the OSTR you will be working as a trades assistant for 12 months. Only way around this in SA is to get the ARTC from the TRA You will also have to pass the wiring regs course aswell before you can get your A class licence from energy safe.

Go on British expats forum and look under the electricians thread, loads of info on which is the best way in each state. From what I have read from the guys that have gone over in the last year this is still the quickest way.

Would love to find a quicker one though.

Thanks so much for your info, it's very helpful. My hubby has done Australian Reg course already here in Uk via Downunder Tradies.com and now waiting for his paper works to come through and as i understand this should get him a temp class A for 12mos.

Guest duggy281

F.A.O. thebacons.

Hi again. I have a copy of the as/nzs 3000:2007 wiring rules.

But find it just as hard to find my way through as BS7671.

Do you know if you get a study guide as you do in the UK when doing the regs course.

Cheers

Duggy281

12 months gap training on TA wages is an absolute joke!!! If you can do tray, plastic tube, twin and earth and RCDs then you're an Aussie spark.

Thats why I started from scratch with the ARTC to avoid the gap training.

My opinion aswell.

Don't want to do the gap training and there is a way around it so an easy option.

F.A.O. thebacons.

Hi again. I have a copy of the as/nzs 3000:2007 wiring rules.

But find it just as hard to find my way through as BS7671.

Do you know if you get a study guide as you do in the UK when doing the regs course.

Cheers

Duggy281

Not sure, I've not found any (apart from what you get with the PEER course).

Just get your head in the regs books and the distance learning material.

Remember you will go over everything on the exam week at PEER.

Thanks so much for your info, it's very helpful. My hubby has done Australian Reg course already here in Uk via Downunder Tradies.com and now waiting for his paper works to come through and as i understand this should get him a temp class A for 12mos.

You can work as a trades assistant just with the vets course. At £3k i would want to ba able to work unrestricted. If you still have to be watched im not sure what this gets you.

If you dont want to work restricted if you apply for your ARTC $300 and do the wiring regs course at PEER $1500 you can with these two certs go into energy safe and get a full unrestricted A class licence.

If you do the gap training and ARTC from here and you book onto the exam week at PEER at the right time you will be fully qualified within 2 weeks.

Guest Maria Day
You can work as a trades assistant just with the vets course. At £3k i would want to ba able to work unrestricted. If you still have to be watched im not sure what this gets you.

If you dont want to work restricted if you apply for your ARTC $300 and do the wiring regs course at PEER $1500 you can with these two certs go into energy safe and get a full unrestricted A class licence.

If you do the gap training and ARTC from here and you book onto the exam week at PEER at the right time you will be fully qualified within 2 weeks.

Hello... Hubby has done the reg course already and passed the exam. If he applies for the ARTC the end result should be the same, right?

Hello... Hubby has done the reg course already and passed the exam. If he applies for the ARTC the end result should be the same, right?

Yes, with the regs course and the ARTC you get the licence straight away, no gap training, no 12 months as a trades assistant.

Guest Maria Day

wow that's sounds promising! Thank you so much. Now, i will chase downunder tradies for his certificate as we have not heard from them. They were not very informative at all! Good luck on your move.

Hi all,

I've been doing some research about the ARTC. You need to apply via the website, you print the form off and fill it in. On it you apparrently need to write down in great detail what you do. If you can get it references from you previous employer. As haven't told mine yet i need to do a statutory decloration explaining everything. Theres a lot of info on british expat forum, just search ARTC. On the written side some people have written 4 pages, one wrote 50/60 pges and on there one person wrote 150 pages. so you can see how in depth everything needs to be. Once you apply, at a cost of AS$300, apparrently if you have written what they want they sent you a cert, if not they will arrange with you a phone technical interview. Answer the questions right and then you get your cert. It needs to be sent to an Australian address or they will hold on to it untill you arrive.

Hope this helps

Andy

Guest Lsmith

Hi guys

just be aware that if your not long out your time (like me) the ARTC states you need no less than 7 years experience to apply! So for some (me by 6 months) the only option is 12 month trade assistant!

Hello this is our first post so here goes - I'm in the UK and applying for ARTC, we have a PR visa. On completion of the form noticed on FAQ the following requirement - proof of residency in Australia. Has anyone encountered this and if so what evidence do you need to send?

What evidence doI need to supply?

· Proof of identity including:

o ifyou are an Australian citizen – a birth certificate, passport or officialgovernment identification

or

o ifyou are not currently an Australian citizen – a passport including evidence ofAustralian visa.

and

o proofthat you are currently residing in Australia.

Many thanks

Nigel

Hello this is our first post so here goes - I'm in the UK and applying for ARTC, we have a PR visa. On completion of the form noticed on FAQ the following requirement - proof of residency in Australia. Has anyone encountered this and if so what evidence do you need to send?

What evidence doI need to supply?

· Proof of identity including:

o ifyou are an Australian citizen – a birth certificate, passport or officialgovernment identification

or

o ifyou are not currently an Australian citizen – a passport including evidence ofAustralian visa.

and

o proofthat you are currently residing in Australia.

Many thanks

Nigel

Ah, this is a new problem.

If you completed and send back the old 13 page ARTC form and it was received before the 21st July it will be accepted and they take applications from overseas.

On the 21st July a new 11 page ARTC application form came out and it says that you now have to provide proof that you are currently residing in Aus.

If you got the application in before you could do it from the UK, if not you now have to be in Aus to apply.

You can do the PEER course oversee's. When i made an enquiry they said that they wanted me to have the ARTC cert before applying, and that it could take a couple of months to do.

For the PEER course i believe you apply and pay the (i think) AS$750 for the course, and about the same for the books that you need. They send you a work book to work through, once done you send it back to be marked. Once you arrive you can book you 2 day revise and exam. Apparently the exam is just like the work book, which is just like the BS7671 regs open book exam. ie find the reg number in the book and explain.

• 11 months later...
Guest NatsandSteve

Hello,

I can see from the date that this is quite an old thread.

My partner and I are arriving in Adelaide in January 2013 and we are starting the long process of sorting out information on getting his electrical a license.

I have just contacted a few colleges in Adelaide to enquire about the PEER reg course....and the ones I have found are Tea Tree Gully campus and Durban international.

Does anybody know of any others?

After reading a huge amount of information about electrical licenses I think we have finally understood the process...I hope it hasn't changed too much since these posts?!

Does anybody know as well if the license is interchangeable between states?

Can't wait to get to Adelaide now but my goodness what a long road it would have been!

Hi Nat and Steve,

We're currently in Adelaide at the moment. We've been here for about 7 weeks now and the process for licensing isstill dragging on.

From the uk google PEER Veet, Adelaide. Look for the As/Nzs 3000 course via correspondence, you need to submit a expression of intrest to them, if you put that your in the uk and are looking to train to be able to work in Aus. You should get a reply from Rebecca Turner, she's the upskill administrator and will help you out. You'll need to book the course and order the books (if you PM I've got some thing that might be usefull). Book the exam for about two to three weeks after you've arrived, to save waiting, (I'm doing mine next week) That sorts out the wiring regulations.

You then need to apply to the TRA (trades recognition Australia) to get your ARTC (Australian recognised trade certificate) once you get that you go in tho the city and hay presto a A grade licence.

For your ARTC don't mention Vetassess. Or your be going back to college for 6 months.

This is the quickest and cheapest way to do it.

If you need any more help let me know and I'll give you my take on it as I'm currently in the middle of doing it.

Cheers Andy

P.S check out my other posts on here on PEER and also look at the British expat forum as they've got lots of info on the above subjects