Nursing ?

adkat

Guest lisalou6

Hi kathy,

I found the nursing very diffetent over here compared to what i was used to in wales.

I think mainly though as I worked in the public sector back home, and given that the

majority of hospitals here are private its very different. It's relatively easy to find an employer to

sponsor a visa for you to come out, but i suggest you use an agency to guide you through

the process as it can be very daunting at times (but well worth it in the end!)..

I used an agency who were fantastic, they dont charge a penny from you. They get their

money from the employer once you started your job. In saying that though the process is

pretty pricey from memory to actually come out (i was 5yrs ago) but again all worth it.

Hope this is of some help to you!

Lisa

Jobs are easy to get . I don't suggest an agency at all. Do a bit of research. You can get a job so easy. Having been an agency nurse working for NASANSB every ward I went into I was offered a job. That easy.... Stick to Public Hospitals,nursing is sooooo easy here !:4 pts, 1:6 on a late ...

Go for it xx

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply,

Where do you work?

I only work 30 hours are these available too?

Im so confused at the moment as we were all for starting the process but my dad has been given some bad news reg his health, so we holding fire untill next year.

Do you have to get a job first then apply for visa or apply during the process?

Do you just apply for jobs online?

So many questions and im sorry,

Thanks Kathy.

Guest Kat+Rocco

Hi kathy

I just contacted hospitals directly via email enquiring about vacancies and recruitment process and after a couple of months landed myself a telephone interview. Once accepted for the job and with valid AHPRA registration ( which took 5 months to process!!) applied for 457 temp visa online. I was registered with agency but not heard anything from them yet!?! Shout up if you need any further advice

Kelly

Hi to all the nurses over there, what i want to know is how different is nursing in adelaide, and is the ratio better than 1 to 9, or 1 to 13 which is normal on the late shift.

And how easy is it to get a job there from over here?

Thanks Kathy.:wink:

Hi kathy,

I have just started over here so far from an expert! I am still in shock that I only have four patients on an early or late! Nursing is pretty similar so far, although no health care assistants, all rn and en. Docs do more of the jobs I'm used to but that might just be my ward! Everything seems to be called a different name, which is really the hardest bit!

I had a visa first, but got the first job I applied for from u.k, having just seen it on sa health website,

and am only doing 32 hrs which is great and four days a week, can't get used to core shifts again!

Cheers

Gill x

Hi Gill,

I cant belive the ratio, im getting totally disgusted at the way we are being treated here, last thursday i was in charge of a ward with 27 patients with 2 health cares and a newly qualified nurse who is pregnant, the seniors knew about the staffing but do nothing about it as i dont think they care as long as the beds are filled, i work on a respiratiory ward and had few on the LCP, and a few very poorly, i felt like crying by the end of the shift and going home feeling i havent done my job. i dont think i can carry on doing this as its my pin number on the line not the managments.

Sorry moaning over now.

Are the shifts same as here 1-9, 7-3. do they do long days 7-9??

It sounds too good to be true, but im willing to give it a try.

Thanks For the info,

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I know know how you feel, was used to thirty patients between two RN's in an acute stroke unit!

I'm sure staffing must get a by worse in royal Adelaide hospital every now and then, but four is soooo lovely! The practitioner nurse on the ward is English and keeps telling the others what a hard worker I'll be as use to so many more patients! I did laugh when the night staff where complainng of having eleven patients between the two of them!

Shifts are 7-330, 1300- 2130, and 2100-0730.

Are you starting to look?

Gill x

Guest woolmerdj

I did hard yards at the beginning and got a permanent visa, which believe me, in the long run is much better. I was able to work where I liked, was not tied to any employer or agency and have since re-developed my carer at the expense of the commonwealth government who paid for my training. This was all because I had a PR visa. It entitles you to better health care access for yourself and lots of other things if you decide to make this your home. I think the working conditions are better but you have to take a step back in your status. I was a level 7 nurse in the UK and had to go down to a level 1, which is what a newly qualified nurse is on, but they do increments here, which means I went to the top of level 1. Good luck, jane

Guest Kat+Rocco

I cant belive the ratio, im getting totally disgusted at the way we are being treated here, last thursday i was in charge of a ward with 27 patients with 2 health cares and a newly qualified nurse who is pregnant, the seniors knew about the staffing but do nothing about it as i dont think they care as long as the beds are filled, i work on a respiratiory ward and had few on the LCP, and a few very poorly, i felt like crying by the end of the shift and going home feeling i havent done my job. i dont think i can carry on doing this as its my pin number on the line not the managments.

Sorry moaning over now.

Are the shifts same as here 1-9, 7-3. do they do long days 7-9??

It sounds too good to be true, but im willing to give it a try.

Thanks For the info,

Kathy

Hi Kathy just to say a couple of things firstly i feel your pain!!! we are in this job to help people and give the best care we can and finishing a shift knowing you've been unable to give your patients the care they need because you are stretched beyond your capabilities is so disheartening....i long for a job where i can be a nurse without the pressures of poor (sometimes none existant!!) staffing.

The job i have been offered in Adelaide WCH is full time (which i need to wrk for 457 visa requirement) think the shifts are the same as mentioned by Gill i wanted to laugh during my interview when they almost apologised for the 10hr night shifts instead of 8hr ones (i'm used to 12hr nights sometimes 13 if i don't get away on time) My contact is based on level one nurse (equivalent to band5) but i start on increment level 8 of 10 which is based on my 7 yrs experience in uk puts me on a wage much higher than my uk equivilent!!

hope that helps i have pay scales for next 3 years if you need them

kelly

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kathy

I worked in the royal liverpool and had a ratio of 1:8 although at least one of them should have been in HDU but never any beds the ward was very acute loads of picc and hickman lines and drains. nearly every shift was like the one you discribed!!! I got fed up and went into crit care in a high turnover surgical ICU and loved it am now in adelaide working 24hours (contacted hours) taking home more than uk on a more junior pay scale and expected to do a fraction of the work and have more educational options

now you are gona wait a year before coming over defo investigate PR visas dead easy to do online no agent required (first have to get nursing qualifications verifed ) all info on the gov website and is even quite user friendly you can even phone them did mine myself heap of forms but questions are straightforward you can save your form and do it in chunks public hossies much better to work in here x