Chefs and Cooks - IMPORTANT NEWS!

Gollywobbler

Chefs and cooks wishing to immigrate to Australia under its Skilled Migration Program now have a golden, but brief, opportunity to take advantage of the re-listing of their occupations on State Migration Plans. But as each state and territory has set sponsorship quotas, it is imperative that prospective visa applicants act quickly to secure their place.

Eligible chefs are currently able to apply to the Australian states of New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory for State sponsorship nomination, while Western Australia and Victoria are currently offering State sponsorship nomination to both chefs and cooks.

As neither chef nor cook is included in the Australian Government’s Skilled Occupation List for independent immigration, their inclusion on the State Sponsorship lists opens the door for a limited number of eligible, skilled and qualified practitioners to live and work in Australia.

While the re-listing of their occupation is great news for chefs and cooks wishing to obtain Australian permanent residency, they should be aware that States and Territories have quotas in place for each nominated occupation.

Once a quota is reached, applications will be closed for the remainder of the program year and there is no guarantee that their occupations will be included on future lists.

Visit McGrath Migration Lawyersfor more information.

Best regards

Susan

Susan Wareham McGrath

Registered Migration Agent

McGrath Migration Lawyers

Hi All

Susan and I help to look after another internet forum. She has just posted the news above on the other forum, so I've nicked it and am repeating it on here because it might help one of more of the regular readers of Poms in Adelaide.

Cheers

Gill

so more dodgy overseas students looking to get an easy ticket to Australia. Just look at the influx of dodgy training organisations that closed because the government pulled the pin on chefs and cooks on the list, it was the best thing the government did. So its opened the flood gates again! Just wait and see what happens.

so more dodgy overseas students looking to get an easy ticket to Australia. Just look at the influx of dodgy training organisations that closed because the government pulled the pin on chefs and cooks on the list, it was the best thing the government did. So its opened the flood gates again! Just wait and see what happens.

Hello Moosh

I can understand why you are so critical but I think your judgement is too harsh.

The Government knowingly and willingly allowed the proliferation of privately owned colleges, teaching Cookery to International Students. The Government made no inquiries into the quality of the teaching being provided in any of these colleges. The Government knowingly and willingly accepted HUGE WADS of money by encouraging the International Education industry. I read somewhere recently that this industry was worth $18.5 billion (sic, billion) in earnings during 2009/10 and that it was Australia's largest export industry during 2009/10. Things like the export of iron ore had slumped during that financial year because of the Global Financial Crisis.

The Australian Government then felt able to tell the International Students, "We were happy enough to grab your money. It cost us next to nothing because we made no effort to control the quality of the International Education that we offered. You should have known in advance that the quality of the Education that you would be offered in Australia would be rock-bottom lousy and that no other country would want you afterwards because they all knew that the Australian Government was conniving in the perpetration of a complete racket. Made Australia quite rich, that racket, and the money from it certainly helped to cushion the blow of the GFC. But having ripped you off completely, we intend to spit you out now."

How can you blame the Students for the acts and omissions of your own Government? The Students weren't even allowed to vote in Australia, after all.

In my view, Australia should hang its head in shame about this one and so should the people who are trying to blame the International Students for their failure to realise that Australia would rip them off if it got half a chance.

A civilised moral code says, "You live by your mistakes." In my opinion, that is what Australia ought to be doing.

Cheers

Gill