Broadband in Adelaide

Guest Trakki

I know it has been mentioned on here before that broadband is not widely available in Adelaide. I was just wondering if there is anyway you can find out if it is available in certain areas before we get out there. Also, can you still use msn, web cams etc without broadband? I know we haven't even got our visas yet but have to ask questions when I think of them.

Hi,

the only way I have found is a bit of an effort, if you go to http://www.comparebroadband.com.au/?partner=cb~cu

it compares broadband packages, however you need a telephone number to find if its available in an area, so I then go to http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/index.jsp this is the Australian phone book, I look up a name, Smith normally works, and use there number to check for broadband availability.

takes a bit of time but works.

:)

Simon

Guest dglamoore

Broadband can be a bit hit or miss in some areas of some suburbs. When we were going for rentals we used to ask this question as I need broadband for work and they could normally say yes or no. The trouble is until you have your phone connected there is no way to know for sure if any broadband ports are available in your area :o It may be available to the previous people in that house or to others in your street but if the ports have all been taken when you enquire it will be back to dial up.

Lisa:jiggy:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

You have to check the actual phone number, not just any in the street, our neighbour over the road cant get it and it is nothing to do with ports, it is to do with the cableing when the houses were built.

Seaford has a massive new build going on and there are not enough ports:realmad:. Goes to show how broadband is not so important to lots of aussie! The girl I work with has only just got a computer, she is 33!!:biglaugh:. She cant believe my 72 yr old mum has email and web cam!

sarah

From my experience over here, home broadband can be a problem, but Adelaide city has more WiFi hotspots than any other Australian city, or so I am led to believe.

I have used my Laptop on a WiFi spot inside Fasta Pasta in Unley Road, which was all free and very fast, and I have also found a number of other eating places with free WiFi.

My only problem now is that the screen on my laptop (only 5mths old) has failed, I bought same in the Uk before coming out, and it seems as if the my only option to repair is to it same to the UK for repair under warranty. I can see the screen, just, and only if the light is in the right position, so this limits my use somewhat.

Broadband seems high on the Governments list for improvement, as it is limiting the Australian infrastructure, particularly in the Bush, and I am sure it will improve by leaps and bounds in the next couple of years.

We had dial up at the rental with Telstra (not tied into a contact) then when we brought our house & the phone line was connected, NETSPACE installed broadband, contract is 24 months (certainly most have a min of 12 months contract). No problems, so far so good.

Good luck

Angela

Guest dglamoore
My hubs (a native) says unless you're "out in the sticks", broadband is widely available in Adelaide.

ermmm not quite true - even some parts of Hallet Cove and quite a few other suburbs are in 'black spots' and are dial up only and not in the sticks :v_SPIN:

Lisa:cute: