centrelink and medicare appointment?

Guest boesman

Guest guest7008
A word of caution to anyone "expecting" to get centrelink payments when they arrive here. it is not a given right. we have been here a year and hubby has not been able to get a job yet. We came here with $60,000 savings which have now gone due to all the start up costs associated with emigrating etc. We have applied 3 times for assistance and been refused every time. we have 2 school aged children and so I now work 1 full time job and 4 part time jobs to make ends meet. This is purely my personal experience and i am aware other people have been more successful in getting assistance but no-one should come here and depend on getting it to help them.

Hi - would you mind me asking what Visa you are on? We are not expecting any kind of benefits when we arrive, but if we are able to apply, then great, if not, then thats fine too! Cheers!!

Guest Guest6899

If you read the SA goverment website for new migrants it states things to do when you arrive in SA, two of those are apply for your medicare and Centerlink. As far as im aware most Centrelink payments are means tested and some you are not allowed to claim until you have been in the country for over 2yrs like unemployment benefit. This is why they want a minimun $40,000 for a family on entry to the country to keep you self sufficient. We havent come to this country to sponge of it, however if we are entitled to anything then we will.

I think you will need a TAX FILE NUMBER this can be done over the internet. Dont quote me on this.

They have an office at Colanades Noarlunga.

All the best for when you arrive, we have been here 10 weeks know and loving it.

Only bit of advice I would give is things are a lot more relaxed and there doesnt seem to be any rush to process things.

Guest boesman

I thought you had to register with centrelink to get a tax file number. I have never been on their website and didn't know people could claim all sorts of things on it. Through this post alone I have learn't different....still can't make out where to get TFN though..

Guest THE HAMLYNS BIG ADVENTURE

Hi, you can get a Tax file Number from the Australian tax office in Adelaide, I think you can also do it on their website but we were warned to beware of bogus websites, you will both need a TFN even if both not intending to work immediately, and definitely need one each to register with Centrelink, hope this helps x

I want to share my opionion with you. There is no need of avoiding help from centrelink. Of course immigrants have to register at centrelink. Not everyone is from Great Britain or another English speaking country. For example, in Germany applications and cv's look completely different from english versions!!! They are much more shorter, they begin with the oldest experiences first etc. It would be stupid not having a job yet and not to registered at Centrelink!!! Australia is a country of all nations, people with different rules, habits, laws who have to adjust to the English system (of course Aussie-English system) often need professional help. In my experience I'd better ask a professional Aussie at centrelink than preparing a cv in a wrong style and not getting the job I wanted to.

Medicare is also naturally.

• 1 month later...
Guest justsheldon

Four Medicare offices offer Centrelink seniors and carers services. You can:

• update personal details
  • lodge a claim for
    • age pension
    • carer payment/carer allowance
    • Commonwealth Seniors Health Care

[*]register for Pension Bonus Scheme

[*]get a replacement for lost or stolen concession cards

[*]register for self service