Poms in Gawler

Guest Paterson00

Guest Paterson00

Hi just wondered if there were any of you in here that lived in Gawler or nearby. I wanted to say hi and find out more about the area and what it has to offer for days out, cinema, maybe camping nearby etc. What do you like to do in the area?

We are still torn between living in Gawler or Perth somewhere so it would be good to here more about it before we came.

My family should be over in June or July.

Hey,

I work in Gawler, live in Kapunda. Kapunda is a wee country town, half hour drive north of Gawler.

2-3 hours north of Gawler will get you to the southern Flinders, great for camping. Adelaide is just under an hour away on the new expressway, beaches and campground there are great. 2 hours west(ish) is the Yorke Peninsula, great beaches and camp grounds. I hope you don't think that 2-3 hours is long, in Oz 2-3 days is long!

Gawler is a great spot, all the shops etc you'll need! Close to the city but also far enough away from it too! Plenty of big cinemas in areas near by (Elizabeth).

When I backpacked around Oz (1990-91) I fell in love with South Oz. The people, laid back lifestyle, dry heat done it for me!!! We spend most of our spare time at the beach or 4wdriving in the Flinders.

I could go on but then don't want to bore you...

Guest Paterson00

No no not at all, the more you go on the better for me, we are struggling to decide between living with my family in Gawler and me having to fly to Perth every month to my fly in fly out job in northern WA or wether to live near six of my mates from the UK and their families (who I am coming over with at the same time) in Madurah in Perth to save the travel time and be right on the beach. They both look fantastic for different reasons so it's a tough choice.

So it's family in Gawler in the countryside with land and the ability to easily get to Melbourne and Sydney at the weekends or friends in Mandurah to live right by the beach.

All info helps.

Hey,

I'd say stick with your friends but bare in mind that some of us Brits find WA too far away from the rest of Oz! If you want the ease of nipping over to Melbourne & Sydney (we do, all my dads side of family are in Victoria) then SA has it's advantages. Also easy for nipping up to NT, been there for long weekends to see my mate in Alice Springs.

My hubby was brought up in Cornwall, on the beach, but now happy to live in the country and visit the beaches when it suits him...

However WA does have it's advantages too..., great wine region, Monkey Mia up north, Perth is clean, The Nullabor! My god-mum lives in Perth, she loves it but then she would love living in New York or London too, as long as it's busy she's happy!

I reckon you need to visit both places then decide. I'm quite jealous of your adventure as it's been a while since we had to make lots of decisions!

speak soon,

Arlene.

Guest Paterson00

Funny you should mention Cornwall, two reasons, I spent almost all of my summer holidays as a kid down there in Scorrier, just outside of Redruth and Secondly, I have been told that South Australia has the same laid back slow paced vibe that Cornwall has.

We went out tonight with all of the crew who are going over so that the wives could meet up for the first time and I have to say it went very well. I can imagine the social life we would have if we went to Perth would be a very good one based on tonight.

Mike lived in Tintagel (spelling?). I spent all my hols in Cornwall too, at Watergate Bay! Yes SA does have that slow vibe.

Your social life probably would be good so if you do end up in WA you'll just have to fly to the various places you'd like to see rather than drive. Hopefully the house prices are not too bad in WA coz you can still get a great property in SA for (I think) a reasonable amount.

I have a friend who works in the top of WA at Port Headland. He flies in from Scotland to Perth then up to Pt H'land for 8 weeks then flies back to Scotland (wife doesn't want to migrate) for 2 weeks then back to Oz! So if he can manage to cope with that fly in/out roster then you'll be ok no matter where you live!!! Food for thought........

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lisa and andy

Hiya, We moved to Gawler 2 1/2 years ago, cos we had family here, have to say perfect location for us, Adelaide and all it has to offer is about 50 mins away, Gawler itself is a small country town with all amenities on your doorstep and if you desire more shopping have a few bigger malls within 15-30mins drive. Lots of lovelly beaches around, good campsites, Yorke peninsula, Victor Harbour on your doorstep, 2 hours travelling approx, but just remember no traffic jams here, drive a bit further and in Flinders, lots to do and see if you are the adventurous kind. Can't comment on Perth as never been there, hear its very nice, only problem is that its so far away from the rest of oz, at least in SA you are in the centre so everywhere else is easy to get to and not too far away. Also depends on work!!! Hope this helps.