Mr & Mrs Taz

Driving License Penalty Points

Hi this is probably a stupid question.

Can anyone confirm what happens to any penalty points you have on your driving license from the Uk when you arrive in Oz.

I only have 3 (stupid place to put a set of traffic lights) and was hoping they would be wiped clean on my new Oz driving license .

Cheers

Derek & Jak

Yeah I'm almost 100% sure they won't even look into it. In Adelaide to get a DL all you have to do is literally show them that you already have one---no tests or anything.

Guest Rachael

Hold on a minute!

I thought you had to sit a theory test as your UK license only lasts 6 months. Are you saying that we can just get Australian licenses without any sort of test?

If so I'm a happy lady.

R xx:huh:

Hold on a minute!

I thought you had to sit a theory test as your UK license only lasts 6 months. Are you saying that we can just get Australian licenses without any sort of test?

If so I'm a happy lady.

R xx:huh:

If you apply within the first 3 months of arriving, and you have a valid license from elsewhere, all you have to do is show up with your license to receive an SA license. I have emailed from the Department of Transport (or whatever they are called, I don't remember), which I'll post later.

Here is the info I have from DTEI:

Oops, I must have deleted it, as I can't find the email:/ But just email DTEI and they will get back to you within a day.

And for keeping your old license, if you so wish:

DTEI: "A legitimate reason for keeping your overseas licence would be

when you visit that country and are required to have your licence as a form of identification

you maybe required to show that countries licence not your South Australian driver's licence when driving overseas."

Me: "Do I need to have anything in writing to prove these, as I am from the US and both would apply to me, as far as I know?"

DTEI: "You would just explain your reason for needing to retain your US licence to the Customer Service officer at the time you apply for your South Australian driver's licence."

Guest philnjulie

hi all,

you will also need your passport,current drivers license and also proof of a valid sa address i.e bank statement , rates bill or similar will not get license without, was never asked to surrender uk license, then decide length of time for license if you are liable to move think 1yr only, on the subject of points be careful with your speed serious government money maker over here.

hi all,

you will also need your passport,current drivers license and also proof of a valid sa address i.e bank statement , rates bill or similar will not get license without, was never asked to surrender uk license, then decide length of time for license if you are liable to move think 1yr only, on the subject of points be careful with your speed serious government money maker over here.

thanks for the extra info. and too true on the tkts. hubs got 3 when we were home for 3 months last year (then again, he's special). but seriously, the speed cameras are all over the place.

Guest Nick11
    Hi this is probably a stupid question.

Can anyone confirm what happens to any penalty points you have on your driving license from the Uk when you arrive in Oz.

I only have 3 (stupid place to put a set of traffic lights) and was hoping they would be wiped clean on my new Oz driving license .

Cheers

Derek & Jak

No your points aren't transferred over.

You'll be pleased to know that you can earn lots of points over here. I've never seen so many speed cameras in my life!