Electrician looking for work.

keldaz

Hi Fellow Poms,

Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any companys looking for electricians. Currently on restricted licence (which took OCBA four months to issue Ahh!). Completing vetassess route, college side done, logbook to do, just a tick box exercise really, don't need my hand held. Domestic, commercial & Industrial exp, have worked in teams & alone. Have all C&G Level 3 incl test & inspect. All Aussie stuff done incl whitecard etc. If not any company names worth a call apprieciated.

Thanks

Darren.

Hi Darren,we've just recently returned from Adelaide after a holiday to activate our visas,just waiting to sell our house which is taking far too long !! My husband Tim is an electrician and I was just wondering,as you're in the same position if you could let us know what Tim will have to do when we arrive.He's a fully qualified electrician and had his own business for over 12 years now.What is the whitecard you are talking about ? Is there anyway we could get hold of the coursework for the a class license before we get to Oz ?

How easy/difficult have you found it to find electrical work and have you any advise ? sorry about all the questions.Hope you've had some luck finding a job :-)

Thanks

Clare,Tim and family

Clare your husband can apply for the ARTC when he arrives in oz. He can doing wiring rules at Peer when he arrives or they do a long distance learnin course. His white card is Health and saftey and is done at peer its only a day course. When he has his ARTC and wiring rules then he can apply for his A class. It does take time though about 8 weeks for the ARTC to come through. Look on the TRA website and it will tell you how to apply. Your OH will find it hard to get a job without his A class but may find work as a trade assistant until his licence comes through. Good luck and PM me if you need advice on ARTC.

Hi,thanks for the advise.Just to be sure......Tim could apply to do the wiring rules on a long distance learning course from the uk before we arrive in Australia.

when we arrive he needs to apply for the ARTC which is a certificate to allow him to apply to do the health and safety course

The health and safety course is a day course

Is the completion of the wiring course and the health and safety course the actual "A class" or is the A class another course again ?

Thankyou so much

Clare and Tim

Yes, Tim could apply to do the wiring rules course from the UK on a long distance course. Once in Aus, he then applies for his ARTC, the 2 put together = unrestricted or A class licence. But beware, there is no guarantee that you will get the ARTC. They are very fussy, and you should contact the places I suggested in my PM and check its the correct route for Tim. I know of guys who've been in the industry for 25 odd years in UK who failed to get ARTC. Like Tim I ran my own business in the UK, and I failed to get ARTC, despite strong commercial references etc. If you fail it you will have to get a restricted licence and work as a TA whilst completing logbook. Not a good thing when its as quiet as it is here work wise. Some electricians have given up the trade when faced with this, but I'll press on as I like to do everything the hard way lol. As mentioned the whitecard is a separate 1 day course and has no bearing on licence. If you like jumping through hoops you'll just love it here, if you don't start practising, coz their on their way.

Hi,I replied to the other message before I realised you had sent me a pm. Your advise has been greatly appreciated thankyou so much. :-) We can't wait to get out there now,wish someone would come and buy our house !!!!!