Long time no see

Guest Zako999

Guest Zako999

2 years have passed since we returned to the UK. Don't regret the move one bit still to this day. How are things over there? Prices etc? Still plenty of jobs? I'm just being abit nosey :tongue:

Welcome back! I don't think a great deal has changed here in two years - house prices are more or less stagnating, bills are going up (but I think that's possibly the same in the UK), petrol is now around $1.50 a litre :huh: which seems horrendous - but what is it in the UK these days? We seem to have come out of our drought now, with a couple of wettish summers. The country is not officially in recession but it's being supported by the resources industry as ever which is keeping the dollar artificially high...with the knock on effect that any industry that relies heavily on exports is really struggling (manufacturing in Australia is very soon going to be found in history lessons alone, I fear). Television is still awful and dominated by reality TV shows. Sport is still as close to a religion as it gets. New migrants seem to think salaries here are high (but converting at $1.3 to the pound might be a factor at that) - apparently new house sales are low, and the building industry is in the doldrums according to some on here who are into that.

Still, the sun still shines more often than not, the beaches are still lovely, the kookaburras laugh in the mornings, and most of the locals are as friendly and welcoming as ever!

What do you miss?

Guest JAD
2 years have passed since we returned to the UK. Don't regret the move one bit still to this day. How are things over there? Prices etc? Still plenty of jobs? I'm just being abit nosey

How long did you stay Adelaide for? We are heading back to the UK later this year - it will be 3 years since we left. My partner is working in manufacturing/engineering industry for car parts but the industry is struggling because of the strong dollar despite the govts so called bail out of Holden's. I have struggled to get work but have earned enough to survive just about. We hoped to earn enough to enable us to take some time off for travel in Oz and NZ but we are too worried about spending savings because of the job uncertainty. Would rather be back in bankrupt blighty at least I have a support network there, my own home and a sense of belonging - I know things are not particularly good there either - feel a little bit isolated here, it's just too far from home. Will come back for visits and hope to do the travel at a later date from the UK - we will see...