Guest matt n mel

Is it usual for prospective employers to seek references before job offer?

Guest matt n mel

Hi all,

Is it different to the uk, in that references are sought before making a job offer? In my experience in the uk- I've never known employers needing the reference before making an offer?

Mind you, we're in uk, they're in Oz so I suppose they would need to, having not met face to face. Have I just answered my own question?:goofy:

So anyway, what are people's experiences? (If you feel like sharing.....)

Thanks

mel

Mel, my husband has just accepted a job with Uni SA and they spoke to all his referees before offering him the job. I suspect it depends on the employer and the job you are going to, but it's good practise to take up references before offering a job anyway. As an employer you don't want to land yourself with someone unsuitable for the role if there is some way of finding out before hand. I would think though that they would only take up references of people that they were considering making an offer to, so if they are contacting referees then this is a good sign.

Nicola

Guest matt n mel

Thanks Nicola. I do take comfort in the fact that they are requesting them, and thanks for your reply.

mel

I would say it depends on the type of role you are applying for. In my position as HR Officer we always check referees before offering roles. Some other industries may not check if it is a friend of a friend referral situation. I find over here the probation period is used much more as a way to 'let people go' if they are not making the grade, so some employers are not so thorough in their checks because over here it is pretty easy to 'let people go' as it is phrased!

I would think though that they would only take up references of people that they were considering making an offer to, so if they are contacting referees then this is a good sign.

Nicola

I would not always make this assumption. There are some very dodgey 'recruitment' practices over here and my advice is until you have the written contract in front of you, signed, sealed and delivered never make an assumption that you have the job or you are the only candidate in the running.

Guest matt n mel
    I would say it depends on the type of role you are applying for. In my position as HR Officer we always check referees before offering roles. Some other industries may not check if it is a friend of a friend referral situation. I find over here the probation period is used much more as a way to 'let people go' if they are not making the grade, so some employers are not so thorough in their checks because over here it is pretty easy to 'let people go' as it is phrased!

Thanks Jessica, that's useful information for me

mel