Cost of moving and living in Adelaide for the first 12 weeks

Guest jones1541

Guest jones1541
Hubby says Burnside is quite a way from here and you don't want to be stuck in your car for an hour each way on a beautiful day, lol .... Flinders and im sure other hospitals such as noarlunga, RAH hospitals etc use lots of pool nurses & agency so you could work for those if you don't need a regular job initially? + RDNS are always advertising too, depends what you want.

I'm a bit gutted coz we like this area, I've emailed Noarlunga - they siad they only use pool, but my problem is we are hoping to come out on 457 visa therefore I need to be sponsered as I am the main applicant. Maybe we should consider 176 again! I would work on the district, i'll have a lok at SA health now :) x

Guest jones1541
Hi

Just wanted to say that those last weeks in your home country and the first in adelaide are the most emotional and hard work ever... but it is worth it and I think everyone feels the same and most importantly you will get through it! Ask if you are stuck- we've all been there and will help newbies.

As for costs the first weeks the money does literally run through your fingers- we did holiday rental for 2 weeks (no way will it take you 8 weeks to find a place- 3 weeks at most) and found a long term rental in that time, bonds for houses are usually 6 weeks rent if over $250 a week, then usually another 2 weeks up front- take references from UK/US to the viewings with you as well as ID. Cars are expensive- we used a small local rental place which was way cheaper than the big ones and my advice would be to buy asap even if its an old $1000-2000 car it will probably be more worthwhile than renting a car for 4 weeks.

We- like lots of people on here camped in our first rental place until we had the cash to buy things and our shipping arrived- we just bought the basics at first- camp chairs (!), fridge, kettle, plates etc, bed etc all kmart or Big W's finest ;) at this point I can look back and smile fondly at the memory of those first few weeks but the reality was the fun wore off quickly- but I would do it exactly the same again, we were cautious about money being spent until we were earning and we agreed to keep a set amount in savings for unemployment/emergencies at home etc and we still do have our disaster fund, it worked for us taking things slowly and building up our new life :)

As soon as one of you has a job and the $$ start being earnt you can relax-ish! But please don't panic, you will be fine no need to worry- we have all been there and survived and don't forget others are nearby that are ready to help :) good luck

Hi, thanks for the info, very reassuring!

Guest jones1541
I am so happy to read this thread. We are arriving late october, and have been setting up and budgeting for all of the upcoming costs. You are not kidding that it looks really expensive! The numbers you quoted are about in line with what we are confronting, which was a great releif to us because we thought we had made terrible decisions leading to crazy costs. I have followed this forum for a while now, and depsite reading almost all of the posts, I did not find much mention of the anxiety and feelings that come up in these last few weeks (or if I did read them, they did not sink into my memory because I had no frameowrk to relate them to at that time). WOW, this is truly an emotional time for everyone, and tears are common lately. I am very proud of my wife and daughters, as they always pull through these tough emotional spots to look at the big picture of what this adventure will bring us as a family. Needless to say that the magnitude of the upcoming costs does not make these times any easier, but we knew what we were in for, and this will not deter us. I just keep telling myself what others on this site have said, it gets better in teh short term, and much better in the long term. I sure am looking forward to that!

Hi, this is the biggest emotianal rollercoaster ever!! Were not going till Jan/Feb but the guilt is unberable at times. Good luck and keep us posted on your move :)

Guest graandjac
Hi, this is the biggest emotianal rollercoaster ever!! Were not going till Jan/Feb but the guilt is unberable at times. Good luck and keep us posted on your move :)

Under statement of the year....its huge........BUT stay strong, remember why you set out of this mad journey and be prepared that things might not go to plan......by that I mean be a little flexible be prepared to turn left and not right. There's going to be lots of tears on the roller coaster of a life time but the rewards are here for the dedicated ones. good luck

• 2 weeks later...