catch 22

Guest leemi1

Guest leemi1

I have worked for 27 years in only 2 jobs one job was for 9 years in roofing (city & guilds) and my present job working within an IT department of a big chemical company I have never claimed a penny from the state I have never been in trouble with the police I have always paid my way i am not in debt in anyway shape or form yet I am having trouble getting a visa to move to Australia why

There are hundreds of thousands of jobs in Australia as we are led to believe and nobody willing to do them also very few companies are willing to even give you a second look because you are not a resident but how can you become a resident with out a visa now without a trade or job you can not get a visa so can somebody please explain that one to me

I have a city & guilds in roofing but because I have not done this for some years it is worth less unless I go back into roofing for the next 2 years then I might be considered for a trade visa

the job I have at present is within a big chemical company working within the IT department this I have done for some years doing process support work basically a (trouble-shooter) sorting out everybody’s cock ups now I don’t have cock up sorter outer certificate and because I don’t have any formal qualifications to do with my job nobody will even consider me for a job how do I overcome this problem

we are coming out to Adelaide in may for a look around and have been told that we are not allowed to look for work on are 3 month visa as this is a holiday visa there for I am not allowed to bring any documentation out for work that I have done over my working life so there for its pointless going to see some prospective employers because without some documentation they wont even see me

Do I sound like a winging pom yet?

This is staring to get me down as all I seem to do is bang my head against a brick wall if there is anybody out there that could offer some advice on personal experiences or just advise in general I would much appreciate it all I am after is a better way of life for me and my wife

please pm me if possible

Yours

mick

ps sorry about the winging

Guest leemi1

The dream is over

Well its official I have been told that unless I go back into roofing then I have no chance of getting a visa for Australia absolutely gutted

:(:(:(

Guest BAZnDAF

Mick,

Who told you there is no chance???

You may want to check out the ACS website, in particular the 'procedures information manual' http://www.acs.org.au/assessment/docs/Previous_PIMGuidelines.pdf If you check on page 6 (2.7.1) you will notice something called Recognition of prior learning, you will need to go more indepth with this as i didn't personally need it. However, you must be able to put your job role into one of their classifications. Check out the job descriptions on pages 2 and 3, if you do not fall into one of these classifications then your shafted. You will also need to prove your position and projects you have worked on.

As a test, i gave my manager and my coleague the document and asked them to select the classification for me, and seeing as they both selected the same thing I had I guessed it must be correct.

The position you hold currently must have a name surely?

Barry

Let me know..

Guest skellysgirl

i agree, dont give up so easy

stop getting frustrated and start getting focused toward the goal, find out what you have to do to achieve it,

what is the min qualification for the type for work you do, and can your boss or company give you a nice title

if it comes to it get yourself on a comp course it might take a year or 18 month (hopefully you have that little bit of time) but if you want it that much then its the price to pay

sorry if i seem a bit bossy but getting wound up does not get u anywhere, turn that energy towards planning how to get what you want

Guest leemi1

Well I am absolutely astonished with the response a BIG THANK YOU to all that contacted me over this matter I have looked into some courses that are available and there is one or two that look like they might do the trick

Skelllsgirl thanks just what I needed

Bazndaf and andy&jill thanks for the links very interesting

Look like the dream might be back on every thing crossed

Once again thank you all

mick

Guest Libby1971

Hi Mick

I am really pleased that you had a rant on here because we can now all make you feel warm and fluffy!

Hang in there, there might be a way. I have absolutely no idea how to translate ICT stuff into anything meaningful but with some letters from your employers comfirming what you say and maybe a course or two from yourself with the necessary certificate at the end, and things may not be so dire after all. That being said I don't want to give you false hope, because I just don't know.

Employer sponsored is a route some people go down but it means the employer has to pay for your visa. Some do, some don't. If you are coming out here, I would bring your CV and a letter here with you. Ask to see some bods who can give you an idea of the system here, see if anyone will sponsor you, at the very least ask if they will keep your details until you get there.

You aren't working nor are you looking for it, just finding stuff out.

Libby

Guest leemi1
Hi Mick

I am really pleased that you had a rant on here because we can now all make you feel warm and fluffy!

Hang in there, there might be a way. I have absolutely no idea how to translate ICT stuff into anything meaningful but with some letters from your employers comfirming what you say and maybe a course or two from yourself with the necessary certificate at the end, and things may not be so dire after all. That being said I don't want to give you false hope, because I just don't know.

Employer sponsored is a route some people go down but it means the employer has to pay for your visa. Some do, some don't. If you are coming out here, I would bring your CV and a letter here with you. Ask to see some bods who can give you an idea of the system here, see if anyone will sponsor you, at the very least ask if they will keep your details until you get there.

You aren't working nor are you looking for it, just finding stuff out.

Libby

Thanks I am amazed how people have reacted to this post I have contacted learn direct about some courses and I am going to contact acs tomorrow to fine out exactly what qualifications I need I have been in this job for 11 years so that must count for something

Cheers

mick

Guest Libby1971

Mick

This is a damn fine site actually. And this is an example of what we do best - help and advise someone who needs some support.

Let us know what the immig dept say

Libby

Guest louiesmum

Hi Mick

JUst wanted to say, like the others don't give up. i am a nurse & I only work part time & was told by agents & numerous others at expo's etc that i didn't work enough hours to qualify!! We were absolutely gutted, but kept thinking there must be a way. Through our own reseach & bloody determination we found a visa that mentioned no such restrictions, went for it & got it!! If we had just taken what was said...well. So my advice is dont give up! There's often a way, you just have to find it!! best of luck.

Guest BAZnDAF
hi

is an NVQ in the uk the same as a AQF diploma in oz

cheers

mick

Mick,

I think i have read somewhere that an NVQ level 3 is sometimes accepted as an AQF diploma equivalent.

You will need to do a bit of searching on this one to dig out details... one idea is to email a migration agent and just ask, if no luck then try emailing the Australian education dept.

Barry.

Guest leemi1
Hi Mick, Just one on NVQs my wife got this response with regards to NVQs you can get them converted to a recognised qual in oz. follow link to view

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270

Andy

hi

thanks i have had a chat with learn direct and they have told me that if i sit a ECDL it will only take 2-3 months then do a ECDLA this is the same as a deploma ? and it will onlt take 6 months the thing is that i do every thing and have done for the last 11 years that the courses need so looking good for now

cheers

mick

Guest Libby1971

That's good news.

It should be a breeze. Have you spoken to an agent or someone to tell you if quals are the ones you need to get in ok? Or are you just super focused and know this already?

Libby

Guest leemi1
That's good news.

It should be a breeze. Have you spoken to an agent or someone to tell you if quals are the ones you need to get in ok? Or are you just super focused and know this already?

Libby

Hi

After some of the responses I have received I sad down and thought about it and I have contacted some companies and have been told that the best course I need to go for a ICDL (international computer driving licence ) not a ECDL ( European computer driving licence ) as this is only for europe

now I need to get some more info before I sign up but I have checked and it is recognised under the acs qualifications :jiggy:I am going on Thursday to have a chat with somebody about it

Thanks

mick

Guest leemi1

Hi

Well the plot thickens I have had a chat with an agent and he has told me that if I sit a mcse course then I might be able to get a government sponsorship visa now I did say might so the next question is :jiggy:

Has anybody done a mcse course if so how long did it take

Cheers

mick

Guest banjo70

Mick,

An MSCE is seven tests on deploying and maintaining an Windows 2003 Server environment. It's not easy - people I know took over a year to do it - and they worked in a role maintiaining a Windows 2003 Server environment.

It's very highly regarded and if you have it the ACS assessement is a piece of cake.

Not sure points are an issue for you - but if not you could always try to be assessed as a computing support technician. - only 40 point though!

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/computing-support-technician-3294-11.htm

Guest leemi1
Mick,

An MSCE is seven tests on deploying and maintaining an Windows 2003 Server environment. It's not easy - people I know took over a year to do it - and they worked in a role maintiaining a Windows 2003 Server environment.

It's very highly regarded and if you have it the ACS assessement is a piece of cake.

Not sure points are an issue for you - but if not you could always try to be assessed as a computing support technician. - only 40 point though!

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/computing-support-technician-3294-11.htm

hi

i have been offered the folowing courses

MCDST,MCSA,MCSD,MCSE,MCAD,MCDBA

ALL FOR £599+VAT

what do you think is it worth it

what they have said is that once i have done the mcse then i can do the rest i australia

cheers

mick

Guest banjo70
hi

ALL FOR £599+VAT

what they have said is that once i have done the mcse then i can do the rest i australia

cheers

mick

It sounds to good to be true. I suggest you look at the Microsoft website to see whats invloved. If you have the MCSE why go for the others?

Guest leemi1
It sounds to good to be true. I suggest you look at the Microsoft website to see whats invloved. If you have the MCSE why go for the others?

the company is e-careers the mcse costs £149-99 by its self

i work 3 on 3 off shift system so i have 3 days off during the week and the wifes at work so i have alot of time on my hands in a quiet house also at work i have learnt core sap within 6 months so i need an extra challenge as well as getting some qualifications for Australia

cheers

mick

Guest leemi1
hi

ALL FOR £599+VAT

cheers

mick

hi

what a week this has been i have enrolled onto a mcse course and its not as bad as i first thought should be ready for my first exam next month i never thought i would be going back to school at my age (42) :biglaugh:

cheers

mick