Karen_Jon

uk driving license renewal advice!!!

Hi,

Just found out that here in the UK your driving license needs renewing every 10 years to update the photo - and it costs £20. Anyhow the other half's license is due to expire early 2013 and we come out in January 2013.

I'm wondering if he needs to renew it and apply for a Oz driving license on arrival (using his existing driving license card as evidence of having a license). Or is it essential for him to renew here in the UK for it to be valid in Oz?

Just wondered if anybody else's had expired as they were due to leave etc and what people did.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Karen and family

Your licence itself doesn't expire. Afaik the paper part is the actual document. The photo card part is just that, the photo card to carry. The updated every 10 years is to renew the pic.

He can probably get it renewed easy enough now and get it back in plenty of time before you move if you are really worried about it.

He can probably get it renewed easy enough

I would renew it now just in case as it will become 10x the problem from Australia side.

S

Guest wijaya

Hi

I renewed mine before flying out from UK in 2010. I think it only took a week or 10 days to renew. so you still have time to do that. Also, I think you could ask them to send to an adresss in the UK or (probably) somewhere abroad if you have moved from the current address. I think you can't change your licence into Australian one if you can't show the actual licence. My licence expired in Aug 2010 but i got it renewed a couple months before as we flew out in June.

You need a UK address for a UK licence so applying from Aus with an Aus address will not be accepted. You can use your UK licence here in Aus but legally its only valid if the UK address on the UK licence is your residential address rather than just an ex address.