Guest Benoli

council houses?

Guest Benoli

can anyone give me an idea of areas that have a lot of council type properties? I'm just trying to gauge what properties are the equivalent to council houses in the UK and what are typical private properties eg. when looking at renting/purchasing somewhere here I like to know if its an ex council house so I can gauge my offers.........just want to see what the equivalent is in Adelaide

Guest Benoli

can i just point out this is not a good area/bad area question, its about the actual houses themselves and how I can tell the difference between different types :smile:

There are a lot of areas covered by housing trust. Your best bet would be to contact Housing SA itself to get a definite list of general areas. There is a real estate agent who sells public housing homes on behalf of government and this would als be a good indication of where some properties are located http://www.smallacombe.com.au/Search-Affordable-Homes/Housing-Trust-Results.aspx

What parts of Adelaide are you considering? There aren't the huge council estates here as there are in the UK. In most areas in Adelaide all the houses down a street are different, so if you come to an area where they are all the same, often semi-detached, then it is quite likely that the houses are housing trust. Housing trust areas can often be identified by chicken type wire fences in the front garden (see photo 3), sofas out the front of the house and cars parked on the grass! I have never come across any ex-housing trust homes when I've been looking for rentals but that doesn't say that there aren't any out there as rentals. I've found some photos on the net, they are unfortunately of run-down housing trust homes, but the building styles will be the same for many trust homes.

housing trust 4.jpg

housing trust 1.jpg

housing trust 2.jpg

housing trust 3.jpg

Guest Benoli

Thanks for those replies much appreciated and certainly have given me the answer I'm looking for x