Jump to content

Evidence of relationship- help!( 189 visa)

Guest Darjoe

Recommended Posts

Guest Darjoe

Is this only applicable if you are NOT married, or do you still need to provide all this documentation as well as marriage certificate??

thanks in advance,

​j :rolleyes:

Other requirements include providing:

  • evidence of the history of your relationship, through a signed statement regarding
    • how, when and where you first met
    • how your relationship developed
    • your domestic arrangements, that is, how you support each other financially, physically and emotionally and when this level of commitment began
    • any periods of separation, when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how you maintained your relationship during the period of separation
    • your future plans.


  • evidence of a genuine and continuing relationship, within the four broad categories of evidence below
    • financial aspects of the relationship, such as:
      • joint ownership of your house or joint names on a lease
      • correspondence addressed to both of you at the same address
      • details of financial commitments including bank statements, and any joint liabilities.


      [*]the nature of the household, such as:

      • any joint responsibility for the care and support of children
      • your living arrangements including sharing responsibilities within the home.


      [*]social context, such as:

      • evidence that you and your partner are generally accepted as a couple socially such as joint invitations
      • evidence of common friends
      • assessments by your friends and family of your relationship
      • joint travel or joint participation in sporting, social or cultural activities.


      [*]your commitment, such as:

      • the duration of your relationship including knowledge of each other
      • intention that your relationship will be long term through things such as the terms of your wills, and
      • correspondence and telephone accounts to show that contact was maintained during any periods of separation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope only required if you are not married :biggrin:


This is quite wrong.


Being married is not enough, there are numerous cases of sham marriages being undertaken to qualify for a visa.


In the case of a long marrige (and children?) it might be expected that the 'genuine and continuing' criteria could be readily satisfied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use