Carl the sparky (aussie slang for Electrician )

Guest Carl The Sparky

Guest Carl The Sparky

Hi Everyone,

I thought it was time to join this popular forum being from the uk myself.

I came from Cheshire and have been here for 14 years now and now have my own business as a electrician.

If any of you need any advice or queries on the trade here drop me a line.

Best regards

Edited by Blossom
Breaking forum rules

Guest Elsbels

Carl, I am arriving in 4 weeks and clearing through our garage! I have a very expensive light fitting that we have not got round to putting up. Can I get a sparky to fit it in Australia or are they UK fittings non-compatable. I also have a massive bag of bayonet and screw fitting energy efficient light bulbs. Will, they fit in a Australian light fittings. Basically do I need to cut my losses and sell them here or will I be able to use them in Australia?

your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest louilaw

Hi Carl,

you may be able to help us, my other half is an electrician and wants to know how he can be an electrician here, he does not have an A class licence so needs to get one ? could you advise has he has been told different stories. cheers

Guest Carl The Sparky

Hi,

The expensive light fitting should be fine as we are on 230v here same as UK. Its only stuff from America that sometimes needs thinking about as they are on 110v.

The light bulbs should also be a standard size so I would say yes bring them over with you.

Hope this helps!!

Guest Carl The Sparky

Hi Louila,

To operate as an electrician here you need an A class license also that is the only license now as B class was abolished which was the restricted license.

If he was qualified in the Uk it should be as simple as sitting down to take the written and practical test and bingo your good to go.

His previous experience would be RPL Recognized prior Learning.

Maybe get in touch with one of the Tafes around and get more info as most likely that is where you would get your conversion.

Best of luck!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Carl

I wondered if you had any advice for my partner? He is an Irish electrician who has had seven years experience in the trade. We came here a year ago and he worked as a laborer until we could afford to apply for permanent residency. Now that we have that he needs to try and get his a grade license, he has a restricted one and is going to donthr ten day up skills course required next week. He issue we have is not being able to find an employer willing to take him on even as a trade assistant in order to get his three month log book completed! Do you have any suggestions or know of any companies that may be worth a try?

Thanks