smify

Plumbing licence AAARRGHHH

Just wondered if there's anyone on here having the same problems as me in getting someone to give a **** at the college they are trying to get there plumbing licence at. Been here almost a year now, fully qualified plumber in the uk, was lucky enough to get a job with a plumbing firm, downsides are I am doing everything that the guys on 30 dollars an hour are doing yet i am on 15 because I am classed as an apprentice, I have been signed up to the trade school I am trying to do my RPL and get my licence at since january but still havent even had my timetable yet, basically they all keep telling me different things and no one cares, and while this is going on my boss is laughing all the way to the bank, getting very disheartened about it all and just wondered if anyone can tell me a trade school they went to which were actually good, wont mention the one im at at the moment, but the one I am at was supposed to be one of the better ones. Any advice from anyone will be amazing, sorry for the rant, just extremely frustrated

Guest kevscotoz

Hi Smify, The bad news is you have a long road ahead of you. I came out about 5 years ago and have just got all my papers to work for myself. Basically i think the latest ( Because it changes all the time ) is forget what you know from uk and learn how plumbers plumbed 20 years ago, because you have to go back to college and do a ****e load of courses that mean bugger all in the real world. Then if your lucky you do some more until your patience is worn out and you have lost a load of money to tafe. The best person to see is Matt Hill at Tafe Regency, He has half an idea what you have to do but the system is broken and the licencing people dont speak to Tafe or visa versa. I had trouble getting my gas licence it took over a year various courses then had to get my local MP involved to get Education minister to get an inquire going and found out the person at tafe 5 years ago transcribed my uk qualification wrong. But anyway good luck and if you need anymore info pm me. Cheers

Ps Also try peer tech i never but some guys i know did

Hi Kevscotoz, Thanks a lot for the advice, looks like Ive got a long road ahead of me, just have to get my head down and get on with it. Will definitely take on board what you have said. all the best cheers.

My mates just been given his gas cert to sign off.Through a place at Christies Beach apparently they accepted his qualifications from the UK and experience Something called recognition of prior learning.

Hope this helps.

Hi Trevor, thanks for the message, do you know the name of the place as I work down that way and could be handy to have a look. cheers