The Adventure Begins ....

Jules 79

This is my first post but to be honest have been visiting the PIA site for over a year now as part of our research.Have got some invaluable information from you guys so thank you all so much... well here is our story, over the past 6 months we got out PR visas, sold the house and today just had Pickfords load up our life onto a container. Now it feels very real...dont know if i have been living in a surreal world of research and organisation but today is the first day it has felt like thinks are really happening and we are actually going to live in oz. Everyone keeps asking us Have we been to Oz before...no ....have you friends and family there ...yes but in Melbourne...so guess you have jobs then...erm no!! The looks we get off people are a picture but hey life is for the taking and we feel the time is now right to make the move. We are flying with SQ from Manchester on the 15th Oct and landing into ADL on the 17th (long connection in Singapore to chill out) Have 6 weeks booked into a short term rental and hoping to secure a long term rental after that....if there is anybody who fancies a meet up over the next few months would be lovely to meet some fellow PIA members. We have two boys aged 7 & 4 and sure they would love to meet some new pals.:smile:

Wow, you are coming without ever having visited?? Rather you than me lol. I love the place, but there are many things here which are quite different. If you are lucky you will love them all. :-)

Where abouts are you going to be setting your selves up?

Are you from Manchester or just flying from there? I remember a policeman saying to my husband when he went for a police check that the street we lived on was a bit rough. 'I'm from Manchester mate, that street is GREAT compared to what I came from' he replied lol. And he wasn't joking.

Hello, you journey is so similar to ours! In the last 6 months we have got our PR visa, sold our house, booked our flights (January 14) and Pickfords are coming to pack us up in October. We are also moving to Adelaide, and have family in Melbourne! We have had to suffer all of the same questions, the first question anyone asks us is 'where will you live' and 'have you got a job' We have been to Australia twice before to visit my brother and his family in Melbourne and we loved every bit of it. We are going to Melbourne for 2 weeks first and then have short term accommodation while we look for a long term rental. We are flight out on the 8th January 14 and we are so excited! We are with Singapore airlines and have a 12 hour stop over in Singapore (we've booked in the transit hotel) We have a 14 year old daughter and we are looking at Brighton or seaview high at the moment. Good luck with your journey :-)

Well we live just outside Salford so guess even some of the less desirable suburbs mentioned in other posts will seem pretty great compared to here!!! :biggrin: We are not sure on the areas to live as depends on where hubby will be based work wise but keeping our options open. Would love to be South Adelaide as would love a coastal suburb but will see how we feel when we get there.