Getting UK qualifications formally recognised in Australia?

    Recommended Posts

    OK we have our valid 189 visa and wanting to make the move soon however im looking to clear as many hurdles before leaving the UK hopefully meaning our landing in Oz should result in straight forward settlement into a new house, new job and new life.


    I have BSc (Hons) Degree in Building Surveying and I am Chartered Project Manager through Institute Of Building. The IOB operate in Oz and have confirmed this can transfer meaning I will remain fully Chartered. I have formal Health and Safety qualifications which I do not believe will transfer meaning I do loose some initials after my name which is a pity although I may enrol in a course shortly to obtain further H&S qualifications which are recognised in Oz.


    My question is regarding my degree, work experience and having the whole package formally recognised by potential employers. I have looked through the SA web sites and my head is spinning!! Im not a trades person however I am not sure if im a construction supervisor which does seem to be classified and requires recognition or am I a Project or Contracts Manager ie I don't get my hands dirty and plan the project (this is what I do now). My Visa was granted as a Project Builder and I have 17 years continuous and entirely relevant experience as a matter of interest.


    Help please:arghh:



    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yes the website: is the best place to start.


    In particular they have a ten page PDF that covers most of the basics in something like English


    However, reading your message you already seem to have done that. Have you tried sending them a very specific couple of questions re your particular Qualification Package? -They do employ people who can answer questions without asking you more questions...


    at the very least, you will need :


    • pre-migration assessments (original or certified copies) if available
    • passport and evidence of your residence status in Australia
    • qualification/s (original or certified copies)
    • any certificates relating to apprenticeship or indentures
    • academic record/s (original or certified copies)
    • certified English translations of qualifications and academic records
    • proof of name change (for example, a marriage certificate or certified marriage extract).



    The bad news is that Trades Recognition Australia (a "Commonwealth" - or federal- agency) are closed till 6th Jan2014


    In the meantime check out:



    1) Master Builder's Association SA. It is quite possible that your proffesion is known locally under a different title









    When all else fails, just have a quiet beer and keep repeating to yourself.... "it's not me...they really are bonkers"



    :swoon: John B


    PS i know you didn't mean anything, but you might want to skip the thing about being hands off...they really hate that

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now