Am i right to have this 'sinking feeling' regarding employment?

richard300

Guest BurgessFamily

I applied for a job a few years back, I got it but was told I was lucky as they don't usually employ people 'that far south'. I lived in Noarlunga at the time.

Where I work now, there is a guy who rents a unit in the city to improve his job prospects as his own house is too far away. I asked where it was, he said Kelmzig!

On the other side of the coin, I have seen 500 applicant for a single .Net Developer role. They try to cull the easiest way they can, to get to a more manageable number.

I was thinking more along the lines of are you applying for jobs in the CBD or just trying to find something in the area you are in?

When I was interviewed for my IT job we were living within 10km of the CBD but I was being interviewed via video conference link from Bendigo and they never even asked how close I was to the city. Since then, we moved out of the city and I still don't think it's an issue for my employer. I know of many people who are commuting in from the south and working from home is becoming more popular for certain job roles.