how is the work situation over there ??

Guest anton

Guest anton

hi am new to this and would like any advice anyone could give. we are looking to move to oz , we were trying for perth but being a carpenter you now require a job offer and finding it difficult to get one so after looking into Adelaide we have moved our search to south oz. just wondering how work situation is there and is it easy to find work . I have been a carpenter for more than 20yrs had my skills assessed by vetassess and got my certificate 111 in carpentry in oct 12". I also have an hnc in construction management and would like to know if I would find work easy enough over there. we have 3 small boys and my wife is a hairdresser also . any comment would be a help

Edited by anton

Guest mactac

Work situation is bad. Unemployment rate is approx 7.1% but actually much higher if you exclude part time work.

Personally I would put it at 10% + and going to get harder with the closure of Holden.

Only Tasmania is worse.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/unemployment-rate-in-south-australia-hits-highest-level-since-2001/story-fni6uo1m-1226879883515

Now having said that.....before I get attacked :rolleyes:

Who knows, your skills may be in demand here.

Maybe someone here will know how carpentry and hairdressing are doing ?

Guest ColinOz

And you'll see others that see an empty glass as full (of air) and don't actually post the true situation.

:mad:. In Adelaide is more about who you know that what you know.

Guest anton

I though all Australia had a thriving economy !!! trying to get away from that as uk has been bad for yrs now and looks like it be yrs before it get better again

Mmmmm Anton, maybe you should be looking not quite so far south as Oz, SE UK is booming for good trades people at the moment. Bricklayers in Central London are demanding over £500 a day due to shortages.

I would look at Oz for more than just work, it is an adventure as well as an experience, that my reason for leaving a secure job and giving Adelaide a go likely for less money but hey!!

S

Guest lilgal89
Mmmmm Anton, maybe you should be looking not quite so far south as Oz, SE UK is booming for good trades people at the moment. Bricklayers in Central London are demanding over £500 a day due to shortages.

I would look at Oz for more than just work, it is an adventure as well as an experience, that my reason for leaving a secure job and giving Adelaide a go likely for less money but hey!!

S

My husband is a bricklayer and has been for 18 years, he said although the money has picked up now, no one in the right mind would pay a brickie £500 + a day on a normal job!

Edited by lilgal89
Typo

Guest anton

i agree with last comment it more likely to be £500 a wk !! London not a place i could afford to bring up a family and property overpriced down there!! we are looking at Australia for the experience & better lifestyle but does help to have a good paid job if it possible

Guest lilgal89
i agree with last comment it more likely to be £500 a wk !! London not a place i could afford to bring up a family and property overpriced down there!! we are looking at Australia for the experience & better lifestyle but does help to have a good paid job if it possible

Were moving over in June and my husband has got a job with his friends company, he said they are so busy they are having to work weekends so think it can be a bit hit and miss but if your determined to make it

work, go for it! I haven't got a job yet but I'm keeping an open positive mind!

Guest anton

lilgal89 that great best luck to you , would be great if you could keep me posted on how ur doing over there seen your man in the building trade .which part are you looking at moving to ?? we were looking at sellicks beach , christies beach and aldinga beach

Edited by anton

Guest Loveoz

Hi Anton,

We moved here in 2012 and absolutely LOVE it.

Hubby is a chippie and found work after 2 weeks searching. Touch wood, it all stays good.

If you come over with a positive attitude and are willing to try hard to find work, then I believe good things will happen

Best of luck

Anton, there are plenty of threads on here about the job situation (and every other aspect of life). It would be well worth you searching and reading through a few to give a flavour of how things are here. You'll soon find that some people think there's no problem finding work while others really struggle...

I'd say that all external pointers suggest it's generally harder to land a job here now that in previous years. If one were to believe the federal (that is, national) government, then the whole country faces 'doom' (its word) unless drastic budget action is taken (that means higher taxes for those who are in work, and a cut to various services). Taking the spin of politics out of it, it's not as bad nationally as the medicine being prescribed, but this state is at the poor end, with the SA economy struggling and under performing in comparison to other mainland states. The Holden closure, the mining-boom-that-never-was, the uncertainty of the submarine replacement project and the high tax burden for businesses in this state all mean it's not the best of times to make the move. Still, some people find work easily enough, so don't let any of that put you off!

Edited by jim and adel

Guest Guest12727

To maximise work possibilities, keep your living location flexible, until you have secured work. Visas are for all SA, and geographic mobility may be the key. many people settle on an area, then get frustrated when they can't find work in that location. You can always move again in a few years to the 'dream' location once you have an established Oz work record.