Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)

Guest nic8764

Guest nic8764

Hi All,

I would like some advice from those who have experience of living in Adelaide on the 489 visa.

What were the restrictions in regard to Medicare Assistance - my understanding is that temporary status will not allow you to obtain any Medicare assistance. If this was the situation you found yourself in what Private Healthcare options were available to you.

Did the temporary status affect the following:

• School options (limitations on enrolling?)
  • Cost of Education
  • Chances of employment

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Hello

We are on a 489 visa and we have not experienced any problems so far. We have both got jobs, in public schools the costs have been the same as if we were on a permanent visa and as we are from the UK there is a recepricol agreement Medicare card. Don't think it covers podiatry, physo, dentist etc so you would probably need private health care for those. Someone might come along and advise you better on that. We got ambulance cover and up to now have had no problems renting etc. The only thing you would need to look into which doesn't affect us is college/uni fees on a 489, not sure if you have to pay international school fees for that.

From jo

Hello Simon,

One of my friend has children doing their Uni and school. I heard that the fee was bit high compared to the PR holders. Schools options are also good as per my friends words, it depends on the area you stay..

Regarding medicare, Not sure what the eligibility was Iam on 489 and got my medicare card.(as per my analysis if you are paying a certain amount of tax they are providing medicare card). As @evojoan said even if you have medicare you will have to go for private health insurance for certain things. If you don't have medicare card you can get medicare exemption (you pay some amount in tax for medicare here) the amount you will get back will be 80% or so of your private health insurance (Subjected to minimal health care cover and the amount you pay in tax for medicare, also I was speaking about family over).

Chances of employment depends on your profession and experience (Do remember Local experience plays a vital role and first break in AU is always difficult (at least for my profession)), but its not really hard if you put hard work (as we have limited resources in Adelaide). You can not expect more pay rates as well in par with other cities like Sydney or Melbourne because its proportional to the cost of living, which is low in Adelaide. (But yes, pay rates again depends on your skill set and your ability to sell yourself)

Good Luck..!!

Guest nic8764

Hi,

Thankyou for your replies.

I am still at the early stages and so it's useful to know that the restrictions of a 489 are not too difficult to live with. I am a CIMA qualified Management Accountant. Currently Management Accountant is not on the South Australian SOL, hopefully that will change! Would I be right in thinking that the new list would be released in July?

Regards

Simon