Guest Sban

Parents visa, balance of family test

Guest Sban

Hi , I need some advice in bringing my parents to Adelaide.I have a dependant brother who lives with my parents and a sister who lives in another country in a joint family with her in-laws

I want to take care of my parents and my brother as they are getting old and it's getting very difficult for them to live by themselves. Is there away I can bring them here???...

.....please help as it will be very difficult for me to leave everything and go back and start life again with my son and husband.

Sban

Guest Sban

Hi my brother is dependent due to mental illness , I have checked options for dependant child and he his eligible, only problem is the balance of family test :'(

He doesn't need ongoing medical support..

Guest Claire-n-tel

Sban unfortunately it may be very hard to say that your brother will not need on going support......you would probably be best to have a chat with a migration agent with experience of similar situations......

He doesn't need ongoing medical support..

The health requirement covers more than just medical treatment it also considered for example any special schooling or community resources that he may require or be eligible to access.

Whilst your brother may not require these resources, the costing assessment would not be made against his needs but rather be calculated against what would be expected to be provided to an Australian under similar circumstances.

Guest Sban

Hi Tee, thanks for your reply ...I understand he may be assessed by these requirements ...

At this stage I beleive this is a secondary question for me to get my brother here as he can only come here as my parents dependant child .

For his visa atleast there is a hope as per requirements outlined in the dependant child visa which states it's open for adults with mental illness.

I'm even happy to adopt him if there is an option like that ..

Edited by Sban

Guest Claire-n-tel

Did you look at the parent visa page Sban?......do your parents fit with any of those visas?

Also your brother would not be eligible for the dependant child visa (445) but would be as a dependant on the visa of your parents, not sure if the requirements are the same?

Guest Claire-n-tel

It is rarely possible to adopt someone who is over 18. Even if it was possible, it would not be like adopting a child, he would obviously maintain his rights as an adult and therefore there would be no legal action for him to need to live with you. does he want to move to Australia?

Edited by Claire-n-tel

Guest Sban

Hi Claire, I did and you are right he can only come here as my parents dependant child .

I wish that laws had some options for exceptional circumstances....

Guest Claire-n-tel
    Hi Claire, I did and you are right he can only come here as my parents dependant child .

I wish that laws had some options for exceptional circumstances....

It must feel awful Sban. Unfortunately there are so many different "exceptional circumstances" that for the most part they all become "unexceptional" if you know what I mean.

The he other thing is that even if your brother is living with your parents, he is an adult within his own right, and would not be a legal dependant on your parents. And would therefore need to obtain a visa within his own right I would think