Speeding fine...do I have to pay?

kev'liz

I got a speeding fine on a week's orientation visit last October. The car hire company eventually sent the letter back to the UK but it didn't arrive til after we had left the house in December to come here permanently. It did finally catch up with us here in Adelaide in January and we were still within the time frame to pay it. I would ask whoever is forwarding your mail to look out for it, even open it and let you have the reference number then you can pay up on line.

Just sharing an experience I had 10 years ago. I Was fined for speeding in Queensland in 2005 (near Townsville), was flying back the next day but I thought it was right that I pay the fine, so I went to the courthouse on the way to the airport, a few weeks after that, I recieved a notification by mail to my home in Sri lanka that I was banned for driving in QLD for 6 months. At that time I had no idea of ever immigrating, so in retrospect if I hadn't paid the fine at that time, we may have had issues when we arrive and apply for driving licenses next month.

I pay the fine, so I went to the courthouse on the way to the airport, a few weeks after that, I recieved a notification by mail to my home in Sri lanka that I was banned for driving in QLD for 6 months

If you paid the fine, then why were you banned? :err:

If you paid the fine, then why were you banned? :err:

I know someone (not us lol, but a close friend) who was caught doing 60+km over the speed limit. He was fined a huge amount, given a few demerit points, AND lost his licence for six months.

I think he was lucky. A friend's kid was caught doing something similar, but in Victoria, and his car was taken as well as losing his licence, a court appearance, a fine, and I think he had to take some road safety course (or something).

Both guys were lucky, because their irresponsible, arrogant speeding could've killed someone.

Not everyone is guilty as charged, and if you aren't guilty, then argue it. I'm a bit cynical because I doubt you'll get far, but you can try.

If you want to speed, go use a race track. If you don't, and you get fined, then suck it up and pay.