Parent Visa 804

Nette

Hi

We lodged an onshore Parent Visa application (804) on Friday... does anyone know how long it takes before you get an acknowledgement and get to know if a bridging visa will be granted? Mum is due to go home in 3 weeks, we are hoping its before then!

Many thanks in advance for any advice :smile:

So, after calling immigration, it seems I have managed to get an idea of how long it takes to put the bridging visa in place.

My added worry now though is that we lodged mum's application in Adelaide... and the email I got from immigration says everything must be lodged in Perth! (despite the immigration forms saying it can be lodged at any local immigration office!)

Does anyone know if a) the application will still be valid even though lodged at Adelaide office and b) if so, does this slow the process down hugely?

The application was deposited in the lodgement box in Adelaide but apparently no receipts are given... and we just have to sit with everything crossed :o(

I can't offer any insight into this visa I'm afraid. Hopefully someone with knowledge of the type will be along. If not, try over on our sister site, Poms in Oz as there are quite a lot more people going through this visa process posting over there. Chances are you'll find someone with current knowledge to shed some light.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/

Edited by snifter

Nette

You should be fine - but why did you lodge the application in Adelaide?

Not the best strategy, if I might say. A BV would have been issued by now if you had Express Posted the application to the PVC - they usually take 3 business days to issue an acknowledgment of receipt, a file reference, and to grant the BVA.

Best regards.

• 1 month later...

As mentioned, mum got her bridging visa granted last month :biggrin:

We are now just wondering what the next step in the process is...

is it still the case that mum will undergo a medical in approx 12 months time and, after passing the medical, will be placed in the 'real' queue... for however many years it takes to get to her application?!

If the above is the case, and just so I am prepared, what is the situation if mum failed her medical in 12 months time? She is absolutely fine and in excellent health at the moment (touch wood) but I like to keep myself prepared for all eventualities!

Huge thanks for any advice.

I am not sure there are many currently going through the parent visa application who have knowledge of how it all works.

This is a slow processing visa and could be many years till reaching actual visa grant time and iirc then there is another medical to be undertaken.

I looked up this info on the immi site - https://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm Seems to me they will advise the applicant when they reach a certain point so I'd try not to worry overly about when you'll hear.

Also the link to all the 804 info - https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/804.aspx

[h=2] Parent (non-contributory) visa queuing arrangements[/h]In the 2014–15 Migration Programme year, 1 500 Parent (non-contributory) visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia.

To ensure equity, all Parent (non-contributory) visa applications are assessed in order of lodgement, assigned a queue date and then placed in the queue for the relevant visa subclass. You will be advised of your queue date when your application reaches this stage.

The queue date is the date that the application was assessed as meeting the initial criteria for a Parent (non-contributory) visa. When a queue date has been assigned it is a fixed date and the application cannot be given priority ahead of other applications. Applications are finalised in order of their queue date as places become available.

Based on current planning levels, applicants for a Parent (non-contributory) visa can expect an approximate 30 year wait before visa grant consideration after being allocated a queue date.

This waiting period is reflective of the significant number of Parent (non-contributory) visa applications in comparison to the limited number of visa places available each Migration Programme year.