Guest Unch&dougs

Cost of Living

Guest Unch&dougs

There is an article in the on-line advertiser today showing how much prices have increased over a year. It is handy to get an idea at least of the cost of certain things (assuming it is accurate)

See link

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/files/adnow%20costs.pdf

Hope this helps - you need Adobe reader to see it but this can be downloaded.

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi Eunice , It's not looking to good all round !, Can't sell our house dropped it by £15k today looked at exchange rate in shop window the weathers crap ? Right mr happy today , still want to go even more each day. ATB pia's Paul

Guest caoimhe

Would love to see a comparison off how much things have gone up a year in the UK

Although we all no house prices haven't

Guest Django

Its not all bad news. Bananas have gone down. :jiggy:

Our weekly shop we reckon has gone up by about £40 here. So the prices over there don't seem that bad. ;)

Pete

Guest caoimhe

Well when it's hot I go off my food, so might save some money and lose some weight:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
    Well when it's hot I go off my food, so might save some money and lose some weight:biglaugh::biglaugh:
    I was banking on that too but it didnt happen ....then theres the wine!

sarah

Guest Libby1971

The wine is a killer.

I lost a stone when I first got here as I thought most of the food tasted cr*p. An acquired taste is more like it.

Now of course, I have discovered McLaren Vale and the Barossa and am gained the stone back and a bit more besides!!!!!:shocked:

Cost of living? Well, if you are here you just have to deal with it and work it all out as best you can. Comes with the move....

Libby

Guest Nick11

Wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that one.

Like others before I thought that - reality is most of us have put it on!

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    Oh yes, putting it on is easy here........wine, wine & more wine LOL.

Yuor right there Angela you don't stop whining:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guzzler

Guest The Pottertons

I'll second that £40 rise in food bills a week- thats how much ours has gone up by too! Ridiculous!!! Bring on the $, Yvonne x

Guest smit
    I'll second that £40 rise in food bills a week- thats how much ours has gone up by too! Ridiculous!!! Bring on the $, Yvonne x
    $80 rise in average weekly bills here too!:wideeyed:

Guest thebaddeleys

what would people say is the average cost of a weekly food shop for a family of 4?

Many thanks:daydreaming:

It depends on how much you cook and what sort of food you like to buy. If you tend to buy a lot of prepackaged foods that are highly processed then it will cost you more. Try going onto this site...http://www.coles.com.au they don't as yet have net buying here in SA but you can give it a trial and it shows the prices. Coles is one of the big chain supermarkets.

Guest thebaddeleys

do you think a family of 4 can live on $65k a year

Yes you can live on this. Money will be a little tight until you know what your budget can be, but if only one of you is working then savings can be made in the food area, if you cook from scratch, harder to do if you have to work as well.

You wont have to feel you are depriving your kids as there are toy libraries you can join and borrow toys to take home. There are cheap things to do and you will discover your favourite places to get bargains.

Guest thebaddeleys

am i right in thinking we will prob get a good 3 bed house to rent for $350per week? i love cooking from scratch so thats good x

Guest thebaddeleys

do you not think on $65k per year wage we could afford $350 per week rent , won't we be coming out with around $3000 per month after tax? I'm thinking food would be $200 per week?

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong , thanks

Guest thebaddeleys

do you not think on $65k per year wage we could afford $350 per week rent , won't we be coming out with around $3000 per month after tax? I'm thinking food would be $200 per week?

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong , thanks

sorry wasn't implying that you wouldn't be able to afford that, just meant that if you are thinking of that amount , obviously you have done your sums ... I meant you will have np probs getting a rental for that much. $200 for food if your kids are little would be about right.