Meet up/advice

Anna1

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are right at the beginning of the visa process and have arranged a trip over to Australia in November. We will be in Adelaide for 4 days at the end of November which we intend to use to have a good look round as this is our chosen city and also the state in which my partners job is on the required list. We were wondering if anyone would be willing to meet up and give us some advice? We have got lots of information online but we are really keen to speak to anyone who has made the move themselves and get any advice etc.

Thanks,

Anna

Hi Anna1.

4 days should give you a chance to look round a fair amount of Adelaide although only briefly, not in depth. Won't be enough time to check out things really well though. But will give you an idea.

Can I ask how you are certain the job is in demand here currently? I know jobs are on the sponsorship list but this is state wide and Adelaide can often be rather saturated with some trades or professions and the job market slim or tough to crack in the Adelaide area. Often in the towns in the country or further out, this is where some trades or professions are needed more or there are perhaps opportunities. But many people don't want to consider those places and only look to Adelaide area itself. Research carefully is my best advice and be aware the job market in Adelaide could be tough going should it be where you choose to settle in SA.

I'd suggest in the first instance using this forum to sound people out about life in Adelaide and seeking advice. You've months to go till November and plenty of people on here to help reply to any questions you may want to ask on here till then. I'm not sure there is anything I could say in person in November that I couldn't say on here before that. On here is more useful in some ways as its a composed reply you can read back over at your leisure. Please make use of the forum and ask away, it's what it's here for :)

Hi Anna1.

4 days should give you a chance to look round a fair amount of Adelaide although only briefly, not in depth. Won't be enough time to check out things really well though. But will give you an idea.

Can I ask how you are certain the job is in demand here currently? I know jobs are on the sponsorship list but this is state wide and Adelaide can often be rather saturated with some trades or professions and the job market slim or tough to crack in the Adelaide area. Often in the towns in the country or further out, this is where some trades or professions are needed more or there are perhaps opportunities. But many people don't want to consider those places and only look to Adelaide area itself. Research carefully is my best advice and be aware the job market in Adelaide could be tough going should it be where you choose to settle in SA.

I'd suggest in the first instance using this forum to sound people out about life in Adelaide and seeking advice. You've months to go till November and plenty of people on here to help reply to any questions you may want to ask on here till then. I'm not sure there is anything I could say in person in November that I couldn't say on here before that. On here is more useful in some ways as its a composed reply you can read back over at your leisure. Please make use of the forum and ask away, it's what it's here for :)

hi there, thanks very much for your reply, I really appreciate any advice you can give me! My partners job is corporate general manager so we sort of assumed he would be best placed in the CBD as the job is so versatile and can be applied to any establishment really. I will definitely look into where the skills shortages are though. With regards to our four days there, is there anything you would say is a must do to make the most of our days? We were planning on looking round a few neighbourhoods, possibly attending some open houses and also having a look for jobs too.

Thank you

Advice on what? Be a bit more specific :) then people with knowledge or experience of what you are after can chime in :smile:

4 days really isn't long enough to see much. Suburbs it's impossible to say as you could end up working miles from where you looked over. I'd stick to doing a few tourist things personally, wander the CBD, visit Glenelg one evening. I'd not bother with opens personally as I think you are missing out doing other things.

Jobs on a 4 day visit, again, not really worth worrying IMHO. You can check job listings etc from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.

My partners job is corporate general manager so we sort of assumed he would be best placed in the CBD as the job is so versatile and can be applied to any establishment really.

As Snifter has suggested check job listings to get an idea of what is out there. So for example have a look on seek.com.au and use this as a guide if you put in CEO/General Manager and then narrow it down with the Sub Classification to General/Business Unit Manager there are 7 jobs that come up for Adelaide but 2 of them are not in Adelaide, so there are 5 roles. That doesn't mean these are the only suitable jobs in Adelaide, but they may be advertised (or not advertised as Adelaide can be word of mouth, friend of a friend recommendation etc) elsewhere and it can be a case of targeting specific industries or companies. Don't make the assumption that because a job is on a 'required list' that means the job is in demand, for some jobs it does but for other jobs there are many people competing for roles. Again, without knowing specifics, this is general advice.

there are 7 jobs that come up for Adelaide but 2 of them are not in Adelaide, so there are 5 roles.

Correction - one of the 5 jobs is based in Loxton which is regional SA, so you would be looking at a 2.5 hour plus drive each way from the CBD.

What are your reasons/motivators for wanting to move to Adelaide?

I really appreciate any advice you can give me!

I remember when we were emigrating. I wanted any and all advice - there seemed so much to learn that I ended up giving up, and just waiting until we arrived. Things were easier then, not that it was that long ago, because the state offered on arrival accomodation, so we didn't have to worry too much anyway :smile:.

I think arranging a couple / few social meet ups might be the way to go, such as with scooterdan, and I'm sure advice would flow organically.

As has already been said, you can look at what jobs might be available using the Internet. IMHO, a few days holiday here should be a relaxing look round, and to maybe get a feel for the place. (Which sounds pretty much like your intentions anyway lol!)

It might be helpful if you add some details such as your ages, interests, whatever, so you can find people who might be living the life you envisage and so be best placed to understand what will be most important for you to know.

Many of us came over 'blind'. I don't know whether that's sensible, but I think it was successful for most of us.

:wubclub: LC