Hello :-)

TandT

Hi everyone,

Thought we would sign up here as we are moving to Adelaide in early August. We don't know anyone in Adelaide and haven't actually even visited before - we've been to Australia and travelled around for a few months in 2011 and 2016 but never made it to Adelaide for some reason! The reason for the location is that my partner's work is based there.

Just thought I would say hello and hope to make use of these forums as we go. There are a few things we still have left to sort out - and we are hoping to leave the UK in mid-July to do some travels en-route so we don't have heaps of time - but we are looking forward to it.

I wonder if anyone knows as well whether social events/coffees etc are often arranged through these forums? It would be good to meet up with others in the same situation once in Adelaide - or even before, although that's probably unlikely! 

Welcome to the forum.

A couple of us have tried to organise a meet up but there were no takers, which is a shame because I have made some good friends through this site and I know others have too.

Perhaps if you indicate whether you are looking to meet couples, families, specific age groups, people with certain interests or whether it doesn’t matter, that might be helpful.

Hey! There used to be many meets arranged on here.... most are now done over the Facebook pages now!

I have tried one recently as plenty of ppl asked the same question..... but still couldn’t get anyone to attend!

If you wanna meet up or chat send us a pm!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks both! I will be sure to take a look at the Facebook page, and we'll revisit this idea once we've got to Adelaide in early August and then we'll be able to commit to dates. I imagine the first couple of weeks will be taken up with us getting set up and finding out how best to get around etc. We will have temporary accommodation but will need to find somewhere of our own to move in to, so I'm sure this forum will help with that (info on suburbs etc). 

We are a couple in our early 30s with no kids, so it would be great to meet others in the same situation but we aren't too fussy really! 

Thanks again for your replies.

@scooterdan Partner's work is arranging the temporary accommodation so we're waiting for them to let us know. I imagine it will most likely be somewhere central as his main office will be in the city centre. In terms of work locations - I don't know yet and will need to weigh this up at a later date - I imagine I'll have to base jobs on where we live/where I can commute to on public transport. Partner's main office is the city centre but he will probably be working from other (as yet unknown) locations. I think we'll try and base living area on what serves us best generally and his various work commutes, then I'll look for work afterwards. 

Can I ask where you chose to live and why? If you don't mind saying. Did you ever consider living in/very near the city centre (if you don't)?

And yes I'm sure we'd like to meet up once we're there - we'll keep in touch! 

Hey!

We live in Hallett Cove, about 30 mins south of city. We have always been south of the city as this is where we both found work on arrival.... when we bought our unit hallett cove was more affordable for us. I would love to live in the city but it would cost me a fortune as I’d be tempted to eat/drink out every night!

Hallett Cove is on the train line to the city which we use a lot and uber is around $35 as long as it’s not too busy!

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 11:40 PM, TandT said:

Thanks both! I will be sure to take a look at the Facebook page, and we'll revisit this idea once we've got to Adelaide in early August and then we'll be able to commit to dates. I imagine the first couple of weeks will be taken up with us getting set up and finding out how best to get around etc. We will have temporary accommodation but will need to find somewhere of our own to move in to, so I'm sure this forum will help with that (info on suburbs etc). 

We are a couple in our early 30s with no kids, so it would be great to meet others in the same situation but we aren't too fussy really! 

Thanks again for your replies.

Also happy to meet up.