customs,quarantine,containers & driving licenses!

antlet

Question re all of the above!

Our container is arriving this Thursday coming and my question is in relation to it arriving at Adelaide Port. What's the story with customs and quarantine, has anyone had any experiences that they could pass on, ie items that shouldn't be placed in. What kind of thing will they be looking for? also any other helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also SA driving license... read some of the threads and wonder is it absolutely necessary to change it over - we are on a Skilled regional temporary permanent visa - so given we may not stay forever, do we need to? is it expensive to change, also roughly what's car insurance like? living in Ireland currently, its extortionate comapred to UK so was wondering about SA fees

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Question re all of the above!

Our container is arriving this Thursday coming and my question is in relation to it arriving at Adelaide Port. What's the story with customs and quarantine, has anyone had any experiences that they could pass on, ie items that shouldn't be placed in. What kind of thing will they be looking for? also any other helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also SA driving license... read some of the threads and wonder is it absolutely necessary to change it over - we are on a Skilled regional temporary permanent visa - so given we may not stay forever, do we need to? is it expensive to change, also roughly what's car insurance like? living in Ireland currently, its extortionate comapred to UK so was wondering about SA fees

Your shipping agent should be able to tell you waht you can and cant take and what needs a bloody good clean!

A drivers license is a good form of ID here, in the grand scheme of things the cost of a drivers lisence isnt much. If you are PR I think you have a certain amount of time to get one, not sure with a temp visa.

You get third party body insurance,( that means if YOU hit someone the insurance will cover damage to their human body not their car, they will have to take you to court separatly for this) with your rego.

We have a Pajero and pay $400 ish for fully comp.

sarah

Guest woolmerdj

Hi

I passed quarentine without any problems, I was told by the shipping company that it depend how customs feel on the day.If they look through your container they are looking for things such as alcohol, tabaco,anything that will disturb the Ozzie plany life, such as soil on shoes, seeds or bamboo, which cvan contain small insects or disease. With regards to your driving licence, if you are a PR visa you have 3 months to change to an Ozzir DL, isn't expensive and very esy to do and as previous person said it is a great form on ID which you will need again and again. If you are on a temp visa you have 3 years to change. I paid $600 for fully comp insurance on a brand new saloon car

Good luck

Jane

Thanks to both of you. I was aware of the bamboo, seeds, etc we've been cleaning soil from shoes, trampoline, bikes, etc hopefully all will be rid of same. I was just wondering if they could be very sticky and insist on having them cleaned again, that kind of thing - paying enough for container as it is!!! We have some African origin clay/plaster/wood "things" we are of the opinion it may be best to leave them here.