Jump to content

Dental treatment and GPs


Recommended Posts

Can anybody tell me if you have to pay for dental treatment for children as in the U.K. it is free under NHS. We are applying for a temporary visa therefore there will be restrictions on medical treatment but unsure what these restrictions are.


In the U.K. we are members of HSF where we can claim so much back for dentistry, optical test etc. Is there an equivalent company in Australia.?


Also, on arrival in Australia do you register your family with a local GP and dentist or can you use any. Do you have to bring doctor/dentist records with you?



Alison x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can use any, but if you have kids it is a good idea to find one that bulk bills straight to medicare at least for the kids. That way there is no messing about claiming some money back from medicare. If your children are kindy or schoolage they can access the School dental service which is about $30ish a year for all treatment needed. They don't do braces though. Otherwise you have to go to a private dentist and pay. Dental is not covered with medicare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use