recce/vaidation our thoughts

Guest Ian & Diane

Guest Ian & Diane

Hi all ,

Just thought I’d share our thoughts about recent validation trip to Adelaide. We flew out with Singapore airlines on the new 380 airbus it was the best flight we have had and the service was excellent, landed at Singapore and then on to Adelaide would recommend the transit hotel to relax/freshen up etc. We stayed in glenelg for the duration and we liked glenelg but found it to be a little expensive. Over the coarse of the visit we went to many places Largs bay, West Lakes, Semaphore, Victor Harbour , Aldinga Beach, Port Willunga, Seaford, Port Noarlunga, Brighton, Hahndorf, Aldgate, Mt Barker, Nairne, Stirling, Belair, Blackwood. Without offending anyone we found that every place has its own beauty which appeals to different individuals but not all were to are liking.

The weather was great it was nice to have some sun for a change, we found that it wasn’t an oppressive heat but you do have to be careful as you can easily burn.

Many people have said that driving in Adelaide can be something to be desired but I found it to be easier than the UK but that’s just my opinion, everywhere has its boy racers.

There was a lot of graffiti about which we didn’t expect and it did spoil it abit but looking past that Adelaide is a beautiful place and it is where we are going to settle. down in Aldinga Beach where our new house is being built by Hickinbothams whom may I say to contrary belief have been brilliant and the house looks great.

The cost of living is on a comparison to the uk with regards to food, clothes we found to be more expensive, petrol is cheaper but it is all relevant to what you earn $’s or £’s as many have said if you convert from £ to $ it will look cheaper but if your earning $ then it’s not as cheap as you think.

Many thanks to Sue & Gary who we had never met before but only talked thru the forum and for making us feel welcome introducing us to your friends(thanks for the Barbie).Will see you when we come back march.Also we found that the ozzies were very friendly and it was a breath of fresh air compared to some brits that wouldn’t give you the time of day back in the uk.

I just thought I’d mention we have never been to Adelaide before this trip and we purchased the house/land over the phone/internet & by post which makes the result of the build even more of an achievement as it’s turned out better than we imagined.

ian

Guest Sarah- UK

Ian & Diane

You were brave buying land and building over the internet!! Aldinga Beach is where Steve and I want to settle when we get to Adelaide. When are you guys finally going to take the plunge and make the move?

Just got our letter requesting our meds, so not long now... I want to have the meds in the New Year- do you think they'd be happy to wait that long?

Look forward to your reply

Sarah

Guest Ian & Diane

Hi Sarah,

im not sure about how long you can delay your meds best bet is to speak to your agent, as for us we are moving out for good in march and we cant wait we really liked Adelaide when we went out and Aldinga beach is really nice it's a good distance from the CBD but we know people who travel north of the city to work and their fine with it any questions dont hesitate to ask or PM me and i will try and answer them if i can.

ian

Hi guys,

Great to hear that we've got another convert!!;) My parents have bought a house on The Sunday Estate, as they love Aldinga too. Did you manage to get to Willunga Market on a Saturday? We love it there for all the home grown organic veggies.

Even though Aldinga is a little way out for some, it holds its own with social things going on in the area.

Best of luck with the build!!

Judi x

Guest helen balmforth

Hi Ian & Dianne, it sounds fantastic what you are doing, it is what we are hoping to do. we will have about $450,000 to spend and just wondered what it was all costing you, if its not too personal to ask, we would like a 4bedroom house with possibly a swimming pool, is it possible to get this for the money we have got. Also we have 2 kids who will at high school and wondered if the area you were in has good schools. Thanks for your help, cheers, jim & helen Balmforth. from sunny Yorkshire(one day this year it was sunny)JOKE

Guest melissa and darren

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get the builing of your house off the ground. we are having a house built by Hickinbotham and after signing contracts in February, they still haven't started building yet. They say they are waiting for council planning, but we think they are just fobbing us off now. Thanks if you can help.

Darren

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get the builing of your house off the ground. we are having a house built by Hickinbotham and after signing contracts in February, they still haven't started building yet. They say they are waiting for council planning, but we think they are just fobbing us off now. Thanks if you can help.

Darren

Not sure if this helps, but we are building (nearly completed now) and we began the process in August 07 - bought the land, signed with a builder and chose a house. Rossdale, our builders finally broke ground in June 08 and the house should be ready to move into within about 2 weeks now. Where are you building?

Guest Ian & Diane
Hi Ian & Dianne, it sounds fantastic what you are doing, it is what we are hoping to do. we will have about $450,000 to spend and just wondered what it was all costing you, if its not too personal to ask, we would like a 4bedroom house with possibly a swimming pool, is it possible to get this for the money we have got. Also we have 2 kids who will at high school and wondered if the area you were in has good schools. Thanks for your help, cheers, jim & helen Balmforth. from sunny Yorkshire(one day this year it was sunny)JOKE

Hi Helen & jim,

It all depends on were you buy ,how big the plot of land is and how much you upgrade your property from the basic standard.Personally i would think that with $450,000 you should be able to find something(in Aldinga Beach) to fit your needs and possibly a pool yet again depending on type and size.I could not comment on the schools in Aldinga but there's probably someone on here who could.What part of yorkshire are you from as i am originally from Wakefield.

ian

Guest Ian & Diane

Darren

Hi Darren,

We purchased the land in September 07 they laid the foundations in April 08 and it was almost complete when we did our validation trip in Oct 08 i would say just keep enquiring to see at what stage they are at and its worth the wait when you see your finished product.

ian

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Darren

When council planning is approved the council will inform you as the land owner as well as the builder,

Guzzler

Guest melissa and darren

We bought some land in Munno Para West. In the north. It is on an established road with mains sewarage and water. No pavement though!

Thanks for your help everyone, i'm sure it will be worth the wait. We just need to secure a rental now. We've filled out an online registration form with Hookers, they wanted the in's and out's of a ducks rectum!