Migration Agent or no Migration agent??

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

Hi,

As you can see from our signature. We are in the process of applying for a 475 state sponsored visa. We paid for 6 months email support from a migration agent which we have found useful. They also have a good form filler programme you can use for advice on the forms etc. and have given us a full breakdown of what is needed when sending documents etc. As you can see we are already a way down the line in the process.

They have now offered us a reduced rate for their full migration services. Do people think its worth having? We seem to have done ok so far but now have to apply for SA sponsorship then the dreaded big Visa app. Do you think the benefits of a migration agent are worth the expense? I am a contract manager so fairly offay with legal jargon/forms etc. What added value do you think they provide (if any!)?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Emma

Guest vikkiann

We used an agent because my hubby is self employed but with regards to the forms we filled them all in and our agent just checked everything then lodged online. If your's is straight forward i would advise to do it yourself. Our agent charged us £2700 which is money that could have been spent elsewhere but because it was a complex case i wanted it done right the first time. i hope this makes sense.

Vikki

Hi Emma

As you can see from our signature we are going down the same path as yourselves.

I haven't used an agent and have found the whole process to be fairly straight forward. If you make good use of the DIAC website and the SA website then all the information/documents that are required are listed and can be printed off and used as a checklist.

I have also found the PIA and PIO websites to be invaluable in getting information on medicals and PC checks. Be aware though that people can also give incorrect information so that it is always advisable to double check. A good example is that I still see on these forums people advising that you can get your police checks done at the local police station for £10. This is incorrect. You must go to the acro website, download the forms and send in your £35 payment per person over the age of 16.

Anyway if you need any further info you are always welcome to pm me.

Good Luck

Howard.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi

We are going on a 175, my OH is self employed too. We have not used an agent, everything fairly straight forward. All forms etc relative simple to fill in, just need to double check that you have included everything and that all docs are certified if this is required. I would say save your money, you will need it later down the line, the VISA is just the beginning!

Good Luck

Mandy

Hi

We are going on a 175, my OH is self employed too. We have not used an agent, everything fairly straight forward. All forms etc relative simple to fill in, just need to double check that you have included everything and that all docs are certified if this is required. I would say save your money, you will need it later down the line, the VISA is just the beginning!

Good Luck

Mandy

Mandy's post has just reminded me.

If you are colour scanning your documents then you do not have to have them certified. This will save you time and money.

Howard

Hi

We have used an agent for everything, I suppose we were scared of anything going wrong but to be honest, nearly 7K down the line we really could have done this ourselves. I think keep going on your own, the best thing is this site, any problems you come across or any advice needed, there are people on here who have dealt with them.

Like Vicky, our money could have been better spent on the other side than in an agents pocket.

Good Luck

Hi Goods!

we've done our 175 application ourselves. It's taken some time and care to read the info on the DIAC website, but having done that the process has been pretty straightforward. The facility to scan and upload docs directly to their system is quick and easy to use.

If form filling doesn't frighten you, then I would definitely recommend doing it yourself

regards

Sean