My first few weeks in Adelaide

julie-ruth

Hi we have been here for two weeks now and thought I'd give my opinions on how we are getting on, I personally found the first week incrediably hard my emotional state was pushed to the limit, I was expecting the Jet-lag and the change in time-zones to take its toll I wasn't expecting the terrifying feeling of making a huge mistake, the whole journey over my eldest daughter was in tears all I kept thinking was what have I done, I would say the first three nights I didn't sleep I was in tears, the house we are staying in is an older style large, rooms smells abit musty, my eldest was terrifide of being in a room of her own, so she ended up falling asleep on the settee, and we would carry her to bed, hubby and I was hardly talking to each other. Then we got a invite out at Golden Grove from friends who have been here for two years, they were brilliant their children got ours laughing hubby and I started to relax, and listened to the their story found I wasn't the only one who had felt this way, Hey I'm normal, we later met up with a family on PIA, had a great evening started talking, (yes other people understand what I'm talking about).

That was the first week the secound was so much easier, take heart anyone coming over the first week is the worst for sure, my daughters (all of them) are starting to relax much more, week one is sorting out bank accounts, tax numbers and medicare as well as finding your local shopping centre and finding your head.

This week we have orgainised a long term rental in Wynn Vale hoping to enrol the girls at Golden Grove primary next Monday, the girls are much more relaxed as we are starting to relax,

Sorry to waffle on but thought I'd give my early views on life in Adelaide, anyone who wants to join me be my guest.....

Julie

Guest turners

we have been here since august and have family living near by so everyone thinks it's easier and for the practical stuff it is but the emotional stuff is hard our 9 year old daughter has just started to show her emotions and is mising her friends loads. my husband and I miss our friends and I know it sounds silly but things like going the pub on a friday, I miss going swimming and coffee and most of all knowing where I am going(keep getting lost). it will get easier once you have more friends etc. hope you feel better soon Dina:wubclub:

Oh Julie!

How your post brought back memories of my first week! I cried so much, was up all night and yes, I felt that I had made a terrible mistake. I fell out with my husband (sorry babe)and found it very hard to see anything positive despite the fantastic views right in front of me. It was good to read your post because it confirms that I have moved on from that time - been here 12 weeks now - and I really do feel much more relaxed and can enjoy my surroundings. Each week will become easier and before you know it you will become assimilated with the Aussie ways. Good luck with it all.

Guest colinjez

Hi Julie

We too have been here just over a week and have a rental in Wynn Vale. I have to say that I havnt experienced the whole " what have we done ?" thing yet .....I might live to regret saying that, but we have been too busy to sit and think.....plus we have been really lucky with our rental it is fab !

The first few days we did the bank, tax file, car rental thing ..then went upto Gawler to have tea with some friends who have been out here for 5 years...hearing their stories made us feel right at home. Colin started work on the Saturday(we arrived on the Tues).....Ethan is starting at Wynn Vale primary on Monday and I had an interview in the city today. We have visited Tea Tree Plaza and been down for a look around Glenelg. I am feeling quite positive about things at the moment ...I think it will probably hit me when things calm down. Our landlords came around on Wednedsay and they were great and invited us over for a BBQ once their relies from the UK go home!

So I havnt really had a minute..it has been crazy and I have to say Im really enjoying it...weather could be better but hey ho!!

Im glad to hear that things have settled down a bit for you and your family . We are probably only around the corner from you so If you fancy a coffee up at the Golden Grove shopping village just let me know.

Lynn xx

Hi Lynn sounds great will do for coffee never turn down going out and meeting new people, my thread was suppose to be helpful, I do feel more possitive especially now we have organised a long term rental, our things have arrived and are now in storage so we can get all that unloaded when we move in, for me and my family it wasn't step of the plane and thinking Wow this is amazing, we have had to work at it I know its just only two weeks since arrival for us, things are falling into place, I hope people read this message and think like I did, I'm not alone when they find the whole experience of moving to Oz overwhelming, things do take time.....

Julie

Guest colinjez

Hi Julie....

I have been expecting the feelings to come, and Ive suprised my self that I feel so positive.....I am quite expecting the enormity of things to hit me at some point but I dont think ive really sat down and thought about anything yet..im sure it will come. Like you say I think sorting out your housing situation is a massive plus and maybe this has been the difference for us , (thanks Dawn and Andy) as we really couldnt have hoped for more with the house. We secured it through this site back in the Uk and I think have touched lucky. I am going up to Golden Grove at about 11am monday if you fancy a coffee and a chat . Pm me and I will give you my mobile number...where about in wynn Vale are you? Look forward to hearing from you.

take care

Lynnx

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Julie,

I know we'll chat about this anyway but I thought I'd add some support to your comments as they are really valid. For those who don't know me...we arrived back in Adelaide yesterday. I grew up in Adelaide and left for the UK 13 years ago. Despite coming back to my roots (& my family) I've found it hard going leaving the life I left in the UK and the past day or so is a blur. So if I've found it hard I can't imagine how hard it is for everyone else without roots here. I admire you all. I think people should expect to have initial doubts, so be forewarned. It is normal but don't give up and keep remembering what made you want to come in the first place. Our lives in the UK took years to establish, they didn't happen overnight. We can't replace them in just a few weeks or months. Goodluck to everyone else who's made the move recently.

Hedy

Guest graandjac

:)HI Julie, glad to see things are on the up , yes thats the way it is .....stressfull to start so your not on your own there, hope things continue to improve.....along with the weather;)

Hi Julie,

We had thesame shock 18 months ago when reality hit that here we were on our own 12000 miles away from everything and everyone we new and to a place that we really wasnt sure that it was right for us.

But 18 months on here we still are and enjoying our new life even though yes still some days there are still little doughts but very far and few between now.

There are a few good poms up in this area so if you want a meet up with a few of us then give us a shout and we can arrange something.

Lynn my son Callum goes to Wynn vale primary also,so if you would like Callum to meet your son at school to help him through the early days then let me know.

Good luck all.Ken

Hi Julie,

I know we'll chat about this anyway but I thought I'd add some support to your comments as they are really valid. For those who don't know me...we arrived back in Adelaide yesterday. I grew up in Adelaide and left for the UK 13 years ago. Despite coming back to my roots (& my family) I've found it hard going leaving the life I left in the UK and the past day or so is a blur. So if I've found it hard I can't imagine how hard it is for everyone else without roots here. I admire you all. I think people should expect to have initial doubts, so be forewarned. It is normal but don't give up and keep remembering what made you want to come in the first place. Our lives in the UK took years to establish, they didn't happen overnight. We can't replace them in just a few weeks or months. Goodluck to everyone else who's made the move recently.

Hedy

Hello Hedy,

Thanks so much for your very honest post which really puts moving here into some kind of perspective. If you are finding it hard emotionally, then some true poms can expect to have doubts about what they are doing. I think it must be perfectly natural to have these feelings, after all, we are leaving family and a whole way of life behind - and not everything is so hateful that we want to leave it all behind without looking back.

Moving here is a massive thing to do. 12 weeks in and I can't honestly say that I have done the right thing - it doesn't always feel like I have.

You are right, in a few months or years, with familiarity of work,colleagues and surroundings, then Australia might feel like 'home.' I really hope it does.

I admire the people on this site who know from day one that they have absolutely done the right thing, have no regrets ever, settle down immediately and don't miss a single thing or person from the UK. Good for them - my husband is one of them. He came over nearly 20 years ago and has not regretted it for a moment.

But it won't be like that for everyone.

Good luck with settling in Hedy and hopefully we will meet up one of these days.

Take care.

:cute:Hiya we are a family of 4 and we found the first couple of weeks very tiring, upsetting and well i was nearly back on that plane, instead we saw it through and settled our boys into schools and found ourself a rental, things gradually got better and better.

Now 17 months on, we have our own house, boys go to a fantastc school and all we need now is to get out and about and make some great friends, we have found a babysitter so things are looking fab!! we are in the north east and hoping to keep in touch with families who know what we've been through!!

Well done on seeing it through. Things can only get better now. It may be worth suggesting a meet up on the site - I'm sure there are a few families in the same boat who would love to meet up with you. Good luck with it all.