Where to live/good primary schools

Guest spannaelephant

Guest spannaelephant

Hi, we're moving out in mid to late Feb. It is quite a sudden move, my husband only having been out late Oct for an interview, therefore we have not had months to plan, have go sees etc. My husband will be working in Newton, and we were wondering the usual...............what are the good areas around to live in; my husband is prepared to commute for approx 45mins, 1 hour max, as he will not always be office bound. I have two young boys, so would like to be near parks, pools etc.

Also, my eldest has just started primary school here in UK, he will be 5 in April, will he be able to start school ?

Finally, what are the good primarys in the area, I don't seem to be able to find anything like Ofstead to get an idea of ratings?????????????????can anyone advise.

:confused:

Thanks so much, no doubt there will be more questions!!

Guest SA Great
Hi, we're moving out in mid to late Feb. It is quite a sudden move, my husband only having been out late Oct for an interview, therefore we have not had months to plan, have go sees etc. My husband will be working in Newton, and we were wondering the usual...............what are the good areas around to live in; my husband is prepared to commute for approx 45mins, 1 hour max, as he will not always be office bound. I have two young boys, so would like to be near parks, pools etc.

Also, my eldest has just started primary school here in UK, he will be 5 in April, will he be able to start school ?

Finally, what are the good primarys in the area, I don't seem to be able to find anything like Ofstead to get an idea of ratings?????????????????can anyone advise.

Newton is quite a nice area, although Highbury and Athelstone are my favourites in that area. not sure if you are beach people but I guess it would be a 30 minute drive to Semaphore from there. I think the best beaches are down south but it may be a bit of a trek to Newton. Which company is he going to? It's not Codan is it?

Hello.

If your son is 5 in April, he will start school here in Term 2 which begins at the end of April. He will go into reception which is what the first year of school is called here.

Schools aren't ranked here, there isn't anything like the Ofstead reports. At the moment education here is not based upon what can be tested and especially in the early years there is a lot of emphasis on all areas of learning, from social to academic. To find out about schools, think about what you would like from the school and then look in the area you might live in first. You can get some background info about schools from their context statements which can be found on either the schools' individual websites or here. www.dete.sa.gov.au where you can find a list of all the state schools. Have a look at afew and you might be able to formulate what you like from them. But the main thing is to visit a few you may have narrowed down when you come.

Newton is in the North East, about 15-25 mins from the CBD. If you are able to travel upto an hour to work then you have a very wide choice of areas to live. Have a look here www.realestate.com.au to see what is on offer for sale or rent, it will give you some idea what the houses are like.

Most areas have a large shopping centre not far away and often lots of small ones. Most suburbs have quite a few parks, reserves, a swimming pool.

My advice is to start researching the areas you think you might like and look what is available there and ask away on here. There are people on this site who live all over Adelaide.

Guest spannaelephant

:skeptical:codan it is............why????????????

had a look at highbury and athelstone, look nice. what would beee the closest nice beachy area to live in? or perhaps in the hills??

decisions, decisions..........mmmmmm

Hiya we are a family with 2 boys 6 and 7 we have just bought a house in hope valley near higbury primary school which is a great school, we have been here 28months and love where we are living, we can see the hills from the back f our house and only 30 min from the sea , newton is lovely and you have a wacky warehouse close by, modbury has a waterworld complex great for swiming lessons and picnics, also close to here is tea tree plaza shopping centre which is great for everday shopping, and eating!!

We

hi

I would look at the school terms first, (happy to get you the 2009 school dates)

The public school system in Adelaide is very much align with the socio demographic of the area and Newton is a well established, good area.

From newton you could go to Athelstone, Highbury and Newton

And its only a short bus ride to the city.

Susanne

Guest tooeasy

its not a bad drive i drive to port adelaide at the moment and takes about an hour each way so not bad to live in such a nice place and the traffic a lot better than the uk :)

Guest covfan71
its not a bad drive i drive to port adelaide at the moment and takes about an hour each way so not bad to live in such a nice place and the traffic a lot better than the uk :)

You don't want to live down there, too many Villa fans:biggrinxmas:

Guest covfan71

i have been doing a bit of research and so far have heard a lot of good comments about Flagstaff Hill area. Perhaps someone who lives around that area may know more

I've heard good things about Stradbroke Primary school - http://web.stradsch.sa.edu.au/01_home01_welcome.asp

The Eastern suburbs are really lovely, you'll have no trouble finding something nice within a very short distance of Newton, unless you are desperate to be within a few streets of the beach.

Congratulations on moving to Adelaide - Ive been here since 2007 & loving every minute of it

I moved to Newton this year to a rented 3 bedroomed bungalow . its a very nice area with a large Italian community - very friendly indeed! its a small area but if you do decide to rent here would advise between Graves street & Montacute road - as all areas have thier not so nice bits! Newton used to be a market garden area way back which had all of its plots sold off into housing developments so not so many trees here. We have a view of the hills from our house or Athlestone is lovely & leafy area with gum trees & lots of wildlife at the bottom of the hills.

Restrevor is the next area south (all are on the Eastern side) which is lovely, trees, wild life & the Morialta park on its door step the area Magill next to it

When we 1st arrived we lived in Magill for a year on the Pounds bought over - but soon discovered that all the Ozzies thought we were paying a fourtune for our house - we are currentlypaying $150 less living in Newton for the same sized house

My favourite area is Wattle Park(next to Magill) - loads of Gum trees & kolas, parks but expensive now were earning ozzie dollars!

Guest SA Great
:skeptical:codan it is............why????????????

had a look at highbury and athelstone, look nice. what would beee the closest nice beachy area to live in? or perhaps in the hills??

decisions, decisions..........mmmmmm

My wife used to work at Codan!!! I thought it might be them as there aren't too many large companies in Newton. There is some good advise on this thread from various people. We live at Flagstaff Hill which is a really nice established area and my wife used to commute to Codan from here. Personally unless you are beach people then Highbury area would be a good choice.

I think Diane lives around there somewhere and her posts are pretty good. Well done Diane!!!!!