Not sure if we can afford to do this anymore?

Guest GAFFBAM

"We know we want to live in Glenelg/Brighton"

Thought this figures might give you something to work with they were in the Adelaide newspaper last week. As you can see Brighton and Glenelg are growth areas and property prices are increasing, apart from North Glenelg which we think is probably due to the fact it is closer to the flightpath and flights into Adelaide seem to be increasing, fine if you like listening to planes going over your house.

I assume you know as well that the figures quoted for houses do not include Government charges etc which we were told to budget for 2.5 % on top of the purchase price, we paid $25,000 on top of the purchase price for Government and other charges.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 0125dannydanny

I was thinking after reading posts of being worse off money wise and no cheaper than the U.K..APART from the weather what are the positives of moving to OZ then?

Guest njacinthebox

Hi do you think too easy would mind if we PM him, (see my thread above), would love to know where he works as a sparky earning $30, perhaps he could point us in the right direction? : - )

Guest lastboyscout
I was thinking after reading posts of being worse off money wise and no cheaper than the U.K..APART from the weather what are the positives of moving to OZ then?

Some peoples positives are different to others ....... if you know what I mean :unsure:

You need to seriously think about moving your family to the other side of the world, and making a list of positives and negatives TO YOUR NEEDS not anyone elses, would be a great way to decide, but there are so many other factors to which affect not only yourselves but people you leave behind too.

Only you , and you alone can make the choice, its really no good asking people on an open forum as thier views could be the total opposite of what you want to hear, and only when you are 110% sure you want to go ahead with it , should you actually do it.

Whilst this forum is an absolute boon for info on various things concerning emigrating to this wonderful place, only you and the people you are coming over with should make the choice.

We`ve been here 7 months now, a short time in many eyes, and we have come here to better our lives , and even in those 7 months we`ve found that our decision was bang on, no regrets at all, apart from missing the family and friends back in the UK, we have no intention whatsoever of returning, not until we`ve taken stock after 2 years and we`ve all sat down as a family and decided if we are going to make this a permanent home ;)

Then I might, just might, buy a boat:biglaugh:

Guest Carl Hallam

Think of it this way ,what else do you need apart from th weather!, do the rest of your working life in aus, spend your later years in the much nicer climate and live longer on average (my elderly realitives in oz lasted till early 90s) and more active than my uk oldies or huddle round a fire if you can afford one kick the bucket at around 75 in uk take the plunge live life dont just try to get through what happens happens just enjoy it and if you are there Aug 2009 so will i. by the way i am Carl 38 electrician (no job yet but is that the most important thing in life?)plenty of streets need sweeping houses need painting , gutters clearing etc etc .

Guest 0125dannydanny

thanks pal! I don't have any family to bring , so easier in that respect..I would think I need a holiday there first for sure!

Are there any areas that I should not look at for renting? (in terms of being 'rough' ) I know its a long time off but important at seeing what I can afford.

Hi do you think too easy would mind if we PM him, (see my thread above), would love to know where he works as a sparky earning $30, perhaps he could point us in the right direction? : - )

He wnt mind, were all up the offering help and guidance we know what its like to be in your position.

Were part of the loving it brigade :D and are very positive when it comes to anything Oz related.

Guest GAFFBAM
HI just wondered where u ras we arein Cowes and fly 18 Aug i,m a sparky no job yet but still looking forward to it.

Hi we're in ventnor. Where are you going to in Adelaide?

Guest darren alley

hello wayne and louise

noticed you used four corners, we have just posted our SA sponser app just wondered how you found the help you got from 4 corners, we are applying on a 475 visa, and my partner noticed some threads mentioned family tax credit etc!(she is a bit worried about the money side of things) would we qualifiy?

many thanks

darren

(sheet-fed litho printer)

Guest Carl Hallam

we are initialy going to gawler as we have family the but like the look anywhere south of city centre down to about flagstaff and coast so not too fussy really, but need to get kids into best school we can., when are you going we are going 18 aug

Just for info.... and to give a price guide.

We have found rental properties to be more expensive than we originally hoped for, especially 4-bedroom properties west of the city near the beach. We found lots of the "cheaper" rentals to be poor in their decor/finish in comparison to the home we had left in the UK. Competition for rentals is very high.....

We wanted to have a similar lifestyle to that we had in the UK, in that we wanted the kids to have their own rooms and 2 living rooms.

We have just moved into a 6 month old rental on the new "promenade" estate in Underdale.

Its a 2 story, 4 bedroom property, with double garage and upstairs rumpus room.

Whilst there is only a small back-yard (and no pool), we side-on to a large school oval, which means lots of space for the kids to play, and this also leads on the Linear Park for cycle rides.

The location is 10 mins West of the City, off Henley Beach road, and is 15 mins further to Henley Beach. This area is excellent for public transport, as a bus runs every 15 mins along Henley Beach road. Kids use this to get to high-school, and I use it to get to work.

We pay $500 per week for this property.

Cheers

Si

Guest mornachew

Hay guys great posts in here!!

Alot of useful information!!

Question though- - Is $55k a year a good wage?

And does anybody mind butting up there incomings/outgoings per month??

Cheers

im just not sure if we can do this anymore!!

Guest mornachew
"we know we want to live in glenelg/brighton"

thought this figures might give you something to work with they were in the adelaide newspaper last week. As you can see brighton and glenelg are growth areas and property prices are increasing, apart from north glenelg which we think is probably due to the fact it is closer to the flightpath and flights into adelaide seem to be increasing, fine if you like listening to planes going over your house.

I assume you know as well that the figures quoted for houses do not include government charges etc which we were told to budget for 2.5 % on top of the purchase price, we paid $25,000 on top of the purchase price for government and other charges.

have you got the rest of this article??

Ok cool jsut askin!!

I was just going to put 'yes' but then when I tried to post it, it said it had to be at least 10 characters, so could only think to add 'I have' on the end!

I was thinking of putting the whole list on as a new thread but it is quite big and I wasn't sure if it would start a whole debate about people saying it isn't accurate etc.

For the suburb we live in, I would say the figure was pretty accurate.

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi everyone, just to thank you all for your fantastic stories and advice which only goes to to prove that everybody's experience is different. I'm going off now to find out about work for chippies out there so if anybody knows anything, i'm now on the jobs/careers forum!! can't get rid of me now!!

Thanks again!

• 11 months later...

Don't underestimate the 'weather' aspect. If you have kids, that's halved your entertainment budget right there. Once the weather is crap in the UK, it's going to involve cars and entrance fees. No such problems here with beaches and the botanical gardens. In addition, I have friends around and we will sit in the garden with a few beers and there again we save a fortune on going out. Then there are the times you'll walk to the shops rather than drive, the cricket is great to watch, free to get in on certain games and you can sit with a picnic. Public transport is cheap and a day ticket will get you on the tram, trains and buses rather than paying for each individually on the UK.

TV is garbage here, so why go to the expense of Foxtel, especially when there are things to do outside....

There are cheap n cheerful flights around Oz just as in Europe, so I can get to Melbourne for a weekend for $75+ etc etc etc...

All depends what you're after....:cute:

Just got a job paying $42k, but I get to 'salary sacrifice' ie I can nominate some of that to go into a tax free account and pay my rent out of that etc etc...will add a few more Ks. I'm not here to save money for this 2 years, as long as I can get by and watch the sunset with friends and a few beers I'm happy.