Work on temporary visa?

Guest cazzie

Hi,

After reading the other thread about the difficulty in finding work, there does seem to be a distinction between those with PR being more able to secure work than those of us on temporary visas. I just wondered if there are any PIA members who have secured work whilst on a temporary visa and what type of work it was. Thanks.

Hi Cazzie

Thank you for pointing out the difference between the difficulty and ease of getting jobs when on pr and temp visa status.

I had come from a telecommunications (call centre) and banking background.

I applied to a major phone company here and the role I went for said pr only (I am on 495) so at least they had the decency to advise me straight away that my temp visa was no good.

Then for a banking position I went through the ordeal which is a phone interview followed by two face to face interviews to not hear anything back at all after the third interview even though they had promised to let me know that day - I called them to enquire and they advised that due to my visa status they couldn't take me on and that they only bother to call back the successful candidates (even after all that)

This has happened time and time again in banking circles.

I ended up doing something that I have never done before - retail! I'm actually loving it but it was something I had never seen myself doing before.

I do think though that it is quite difficult to go through and can get you really down as you feel so rejected. I think this does make how you look at your new life in different ways - ie the love it hate it brigades. Those that find work can enjoy it those that hate it because life is so hard. I'm in the whatever brigade now!

Hope you find something soon

Hi Devon,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think it is just rotten of companies to even bother giving you interviews when they must be aware of your visa status from the start. What a waste of time and of course, hope of a job. Let's hope other people share their views on this situation as it will be good for those coming out here to have a realistic viewpoint on the work situation. However, I guess we can share views and moan all we like, it isn't going to change anything. Maybe we need to start a petition and make our views clear to the government. Glad you have a job, even if it isn't what you had in mind!

Hi,

I have just been told that immigrants on a temporary/provisional visa can obtain a letter from Immigration stating that those on temporary visas should not be discriminated against while applying for jobs. It might be worth looking into and if it is so, this letter might be worth giving to employers.

Also, does anyone know the difference between a temporary visa and a provisional visa with relation to jobs?

Cheers.

Guest rockpool crab
Hi,

I have just been told that immigrants on a temporary/provisional visa can obtain a letter from Immigration stating that those on temporary visas should not be discriminated against while applying for jobs. It might be worth looking into and if it is so, this letter might be worth giving to employers.

Also, does anyone know the difference between a temporary visa and a provisional visa with relation to jobs?

Cheers.

Hi there,

We've been here 5 weeks now and can see it's difficult to gain employment as a temporary resident. It's practically the first thing they ask. As an example, my husband, who has been a correctional officer for 22 years filled up the application form and sent it off. Someone from HR in the prison phoned him and raved about the experience he had etc etc but when asked if perm. or temp..as soon as my husband replied temporary..that was it over. The guy said he'll need to reapply as soon as we have permanent status. Simple as that..no middle ground. Hubbie quite gutted as it's what he knows and now in a bit of a flat spin wondering what he'll do next. We're looking at TAFE and possible Level III and IV certificates in caring as he's done some rehabilitation programs. But the courses are expensive and as you know Temps. get no help.

We're still applying for jobs on a daily basis and I just hope that January is a slow time for employers to advertise.

I knew it would be difficult on the temp. visa but don't know if I was prepared for the "division" it's causing amongst employers.

Carol Ann

PS..I found the PDF letter you can give to employers..that's useful. I suggested to OH to send it into prison but he's adamant the guy won't budge :-( I'll take it with me to any interviews I get though..just in case they ask about it.

Hi Carol Ann,

Sorry to hear about your husband's difficulties with the prison service. It seems very harsh when you consider that his 22 years experience counts for nothing here. I think it is definitely worthwhile for your husband to take the letter to the prison and keep trying there. Bill knows someone who went for a job in retail but they wouldn't accept her as she had been out of retail for a while to bring up children, but she kept going back to the same shop and they did take her on. She now has her own clothes shop, so perseverance can pay off. Good luck with the job hunting.

PS Could you print the link to that letter please - I would really appreciate it as I'm sure others would too.

I think any job that has a degree of security is affected. Friend of mine works on planes - his temp visa was classed as a security threat. Banks, prison, police,airport, customs, goverment spring to mind.

Apart from this guy we know - no one has had a problem. We've never been asked at all. Never an issue. I'm a teacher and hubby works in the printing trade.

It really does suck if you've come over on a temp visa and can't find work.

The one ray of light is that you can work in any job you like to fulfill the one year work criteria.

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Yup..does seem a bit harsh but what can you do, we'll just have to get on with it. He's applying for anything at the moment....cleaning included!..says he has experience of different coloured mops when he had to hand them out the the prisoners ...lol.

I couldn't really copy the link to the letter..it's bursts into "save now" or "open"..so what I did was snuck the PDF up onto my baycanvases website ..so folk can download it from there or open it up to print...

http://www.baycanvases.com/images/fact_sheet_gsm.pdf

My OH has 9 years experience as a first line manager in the jail, so maybe that "might" stand by him for managerial jobs..but those are mostly retail. Maybe that's what he should try and get into too. We'll see..he'll most certainly do anything. We were at the Seaford Hotel last weekend and a bloke there said he could start him on casual labouring. We haven't heard anything mind you..it would be this weekend it would start ...maybe we need another wee night out to Seaford Hotel..just on another scouting mission you understand..lol.

Catch you later

Carol Ann

Has he thought about private security - often see guys in cars patrolling schools, factories. I know its a crap job compared to what he was doing - but it would be a start.

Guest rockpool crab

Hi..yup..that is a glimmer of hope i.e. 12 months out of the 24 to validate the visa and the good thing is it can be any one of us that finds the work. But that's not an option..we'll both work (if we can!)...and I'd prefer to work 24 months out of 24 months :-)

It's maybe still early days really. I've got a lot of pokers in the fire. My OH, as I say, is applying for anything but there's fierce competition..even for something like "Car Park Attendant"..didn't get an interview even. He even put in for "Funeral Assistant"..got an email saying unsuccessful. So it's definitely not for the lack of trying by both of us. Think maybe our 17 year old son will be first to get a job by the looks of it..he's to go to North Plympton tomorrow for a trial...so fingers crossed that works out for him.

I'll have my first taste of public transport as I've to take Kieran for his first day at Noarlunga Primary. Reckon I've figured the route to take ...740 or 741 to Binnie street. Andrew using the car to take Michael to his job..he's to be there for 8 am..eeek..early to bed for us all tonight I can tell ya!

Bye for now

Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
Has he thought about private security - often see guys in cars patrolling schools, factories. I know its a crap job compared to what he was doing - but it would be a start.

Hi there,

He hasn't tried that yet. He did put in for cleaning in Noarlunga Shopping Centre..and when ever we go in there now..he'll see them picking up stuff with their little grabbers and he'll say "I could do that!"...lol.

I trawl through online so I'll keep an eye out for the security stuff..in fact ..I'll do a search for it..see what comes up. Ta for the tip.

Carol Ann

Unfortunately the letter isn't worth the paper it is written on in most cases. Immigration told me about it when I complained how long they are taking to provide pr to 495 holders (we applied in Sept and still no sign of pr visa - they have advised timescale at present 10 - 12 months from application) I told them about my difficulty in managing to get work due to visa status so they told me about the letter.

I did show it to potential employers at the time and they said that they were not willing to accept it. I went back to immigration who told me that the letter is there to help us however the employer does not have to accept it if that is their policy :arghh:

Hope others do manage to get their jobs with it though.

I try to be positive and now I have managed to find work in another field anyway. However it does grate me that we all think that we can apply for pr after two years or three however quick off the ball we are (we applied after two and a half years) what we don't realise is that when we apply it still takes up to another year after application is lodged (online) to get pr status - let's hope they speed up - they did start to and then gave priority to another type of visa hence 495 to 887 (pr) slipped back a notch

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Cassie.

To get an answer to your question ive had a disscusion over a few beers with some aussie mates.

The answers we came up with are that the general attitude from employers is that tempory visa holders are fruit pickers and are normally only here for the picking season. How ever there are now loads of nurses coming over on temp visa's who have secured employment before they arrive.

Tempory visa basically locks you out from any employment that involves deling with the public e.g. police, goverment, banks, public transport but nurses and teachers are ok i think.

Thanks Devon for your imput. The letter seems pointless then doesn't it? But maybe all employers won't disregard it.

Matt, thanks for asking, at least we know what some Aussies think about temp visas now but it is so unfair.

( By the way Matt, the Brunnings ant killer has done a great job).

I really do feel that Australia should change the way they regard people on a temporary visa - we are not students on a year long trip but trying to settle for life and we need a bit more help. I have decided to write to my local MP and will keep you posted.

Guest rockpool crab
You'll get a break soon - I promise. Only a matter of time before you get a job.

Hi Nick and Cazzie..thanks for your kind words and they really do help. I'm hopeful that it's only a matter of time too and that the wheels grind a bit slower..which is fine..as we've applied for soooo many jobs..and I'm sure we're by no manner of means the first people to have experienced this.

It's the risk you take with having no job to come to..but I hear negatives from people who "have had jobs to come to" and at some point their employer no longer wishes to sponsor them and they quickly need to find jobs asap and hope that another employer does sponsor them. So I had to weigh up the pro's and the con's and it maybe that it goes against us but I so hope it doesn't..for obvious reasons.

Still chipper and hoping it'll all come good in the near future.

Cheers for the kind words

Carol Ann

Carol Ann,

It will happen. No doubt about it. The reason it will is because you and your OH are prepared to do something that is not nescessarily what you did in the UK and are being very possitive. I have been on this and other forums like this one for...... too long:biglaugh: I have seen different attitudes and ideas. The people that cut it are prepared to do anything they hit brick walls and bounce back. I have seen others stuggle and generally this is because they aren't prepared to 'take a step backward'. They want to walk into a job that is either better or the same as they left behind in the UK. If they don't they want to run back home. I am looking to start work in the near future and I am considering doing a job I did about 25 years ago. Is it a step back? .... no its a step forward in my new life in a new country. You can't compare anything here to the UK, whether it be work, shopping, or anything.

Carry on with what you are doing something will happen to allow you to fulfill your part in your visa so you can then get PR. Once you have PR more doors will open up for you and things will get easier from then on.

Keep the faith

Pete

Guest rockpool crab
Carol Ann,

It will happen. No doubt about it. The reason it will is because you and your OH are prepared to do something that is not nescessarily what you did in the UK and are being very possitive. I have been on this and other forums like this one for...... too long:biglaugh: I have seen different attitudes and ideas. The people that cut it are prepared to do anything they hit brick walls and bounce back. I have seen others stuggle and generally this is because they aren't prepared to 'take a step backward'. They want to walk into a job that is either better or the same as they left behind in the UK. If they don't they want to run back home. I am looking to start work in the near future and I am considering doing a job I did about 25 years ago. Is it a step back? .... no its a step forward in my new life in a new country. You can't compare anything here to the UK, whether it be work, shopping, or anything.

Carry on with what you are doing something will happen to allow you to fulfill your part in your visa so you can then get PR. Once you have PR more doors will open up for you and things will get easier from then on.

Keep the faith

Pete

Hi Pete...gosh I hope you are soooo right. I'm hopefully getting an interview at the beginning of next week as a "word processor"..I just hope that my typing speed of 80 wpm doesn't actually put them off! This job is only for 2 weeks but it's potentially in a place where I'm hoping for an interview as a Marketing and Data Analyist..don't have a huge amount of experience of this ..but I've been on the interent downloading all types of information about it just to pre-arm myself should I get the length of an intervidew.

So ..yeh..we will do anything it takes to get a foot on the ladder and don't for a second think we'll walk into the same jobs or salaries we previously had..but any job would be fine right now!..lol

Ach I'm sure it'll happen too..no worries as they say. Good for you going back to something you did a long while back..and why not! I've applied as a "medical secretary / floater"..did that 22 years ago but I've got the qualifications and the work history albeit a while ago..but I'd still give it my best shot if it I got the length of interview!

Onwards and upwards.

Cheers for the positive attitude..loving it!

Carol Ann

Guest cornish Busdriver

I think the main problem is that a lot of forien worker like vietmanisse, indians, kiwis all comen here on temp visa's doing fruit picking jobs so thats why they say pr visa or residents only on the job adverts.

I asked my boss bout it today and he said that the company would not employ anyone on a temp visa cause they cant be sure that they will still be round in 2 years so companys wont take a chance on training anyone up on a temp visa.

Sounds like a rough deal for thoughs who are planning to stay but thats the way the system works.

• 2 weeks later...

we on 495 and got work no bother. I am on 2nd job. husband got a great job, in a new field, i am a scientist and got 1 year contract. never had any hassle as not PR but limits what you can apply to, state goverment sponsors you but will not employ you what is that about

There are jobs that PR s cant get either!. Customs ,Defence industry, probably more .Then licencense problems for tradies. As said many times before, for the amount of people who land good, well paid jobs, there are plenty more that struggle, through no fault of there own.

Guest Amelia&Fred

Both of us had no problem finding work on the 495 but then we arrived in june last year and the construction industry were throwing jobs at us... on the 495 you are taxed as residents even though the visa status is temporary so discrimination based on "status" shouldn't happen, it shouldn't happen anyway... it's a good job that it is that way otherwise it could cost a packet... The great thing about Adelaide is that so many people are incredibly helpful, when we've had a problem - like initially being taxed as non-residents - we just went to the tax office and it was a very pleasant experience! Quite surreal.... Same with the council...

In this current "global economic climate" the job situation isn't the best.... hopefully things will pick up and working in a different job/field can be a great experience... and hey ho, it's adelaide, work is just to finance having a good time! ; )

best wishes to all, amelia and fred

www.inner-funk.com.au

Hi..yup..that is a glimmer of hope i.e. 12 months out of the 24 to validate the visa and the good thing is it can be any one of us that finds the work.

Hi sorry I am a bit new to this even though we have been planning this move for 4 years, could you please give me more info about this comment, are you saying that you can stop longer than the 12months without getting a PR?

Many thanks, Scott