Work on temporary visa?

Guest cazzie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wemadeit

Hi, I'm in the same boat - been here 4 months and had no luck whatsoevr!! The recruiment agencies are a waste of time - they never call back and have failed to put me forward for ANY job!! Eventually 3 of the 'big' firms - Hender/Hudson/Hays have confirmed that my 495 visa 'scares employers' and them off as there are so many variations of temp visa, that they don't want the 'hassle', so if they have a choice of a temp or PR/citizen - PR/citizen it is!!!!

But, not to be phased by this, I have taken it up with the SA Immigration dept and DIAC - and they are 'surprised'!! - Good news is - on a 495 visa - as it is in my name, I assumed I had to work fulltime for a 1yr and after 2yrs yrs apply for PR status. It transpires that if either you OR your spouse work full time - you are still able to apply for PR status - and as my wife is working, we are more positive now. I think it is woth more people making SA Immigration aware of the issues we're experiencing!

Good luck

Tom

Guest Kraig1967

Hi, just a quick note, we arrived on a provisional 475 visa and have been told that if we find an employer willing to sponsor us then we don't have to wait the 2 years before applying for PR. It can be done straight away.

Maybe check that out with the prison in question?

Kraig

• 3 months later...
Guest mercury
forgot to say - you can work for the state govt on a 495 temp visa - my wife works for them at the mo'

Is this a permanent job or a contract position?

I noticed that the conditions on almost all SA govt websites state that for contract positions then temp working visa is OK [if it covers the term of the contract].

If it is a permanent job, then they want Oz citizenship or PR.

This is crazy. As someone mentioned, how can they sponsor us for 475/495 and not accept our work visas? No wonder the private sector is insisting on the same criteria. They should lead by example!:arghh:

Guest wemadeit
Is this a permanent job or a contract position?

I noticed that the conditions on almost all SA govt websites state that for contract positions then temp working visa is OK [if it covers the term of the contract].

If it is a permanent job, then they want Oz citizenship or PR.

This is crazy. As someone mentioned, how can they sponsor us for 475/495 and not accept our work visas? No wonder the private sector is insisting on the same criteria. They should lead by example!:arghh:

Hi Mercury,

It is crazy!! The visa is in my name and I can't get a job for love nor money (applied for over 150 jobs and had a response from about 10% - some even citing my visa as a blocker!!). Weird thing though is I have 6 job offers from Perth/Melbourne and Sydney - but can't go!! I think Adelaide is on the early stages of growth and aren't used to the numbers coming in! Even some recruitment firms (and I use recruitment lightly - useless more like!!) have told me my visa is a 'potential problem'. When my wife went for the job at SA State govt, she made it clear from the outset the visa we were on and they said it is fine as it is an SIR visa for SA - and her contract is now permanent and we can apply for PR in her name in 2yrs time!

The biggest problem is that the govt are actively bringing people in but are not liaising with the local business community to highlight what the visa's are and the fact we can work anywhere - which is highly frustrating!!

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding another perspective to this: we're 495 SIR holders and I fortunately landed a job in the first few weeks of arriving here in my usual field (HR). The first few jobs I applied for I gave quite a few details on our visa type (trying to be helpful to the prospective employer) but think I probably scared them off; employers in the main don't know much about different visa categories and spelling too much out can have the wrong effect. In later applications/cover letters, I took out the details and simply put that I held a migrant visa allowing me to live and work in SA (after all, the SIR gives three years of residency, which is quite a reasonable time to be in a particular job). Not spelling the visa details out certainly seemed to help me land a job.

I've been with the company I work for 16 months now and feel very lucky to have such a good job. Good luck to all those looking for work - I hope something turns up soon.

Jim

Hi Jim

That is great but you must have been lucky! I worked in HR in the UK and have now given up applying for jobs in HR here as have not got anywhere (5 months). I have 7 years exp as well as a Post Grad Diploma in HRM and was not getting any interviews. Since changing my direction a bit and applying solely for senior admin jobs I got 2 interviews in one week. Not sure why this is, maybe it is the Aus experience facto.

I agree about the not mentioning the visa directly though, I just put that I have the right to live & work in Australia and that has been fine.

Flutterby

Guest mercury
Hi Jim

That is great but you must have been lucky! I worked in HR in the UK and have now given up applying for jobs in HR here as have not got anywhere (5 months). I have 7 years exp as well as a Post Grad Diploma in HRM and was not getting any interviews. Since changing my direction a bit and applying solely for senior admin jobs I got 2 interviews in one week. Not sure why this is, maybe it is the Aus experience facto.

I agree about the not mentioning the visa directly though, I just put that I have the right to live & work in Australia and that has been fine.

Flutterby

In most cases, they ask about your right to work right from the start (in the 1st screening interview). Actually, they discriminate between provisional visa holders and permanent visa holders. The letter from Immigration SA is useless.

I think I prefer the American system where they can only ask for such details after they decide to offer you the job. :biglaugh: That way you can be sure that your country of birth is not working against you...

My 2 cents

I have had 3 interviews, only in one did they ask directly about the visa and that was in the chat on the phone before they invited me to interview. This was at one of the universities HR departments and so at least they understood about the visa as had experience with other staff.

I have only had to use the SA Immigration Letter once with a recruitment consultant who refused to accept that I did not only have to pick fruit on the 495 visa. I agree in that case it was useless.

Guest mercury

Flutterby,

I hear you crystal clear. You are right, some of the employers don't know ( and don't care) about the differences between the provisional and permanent visas. The trick is finding one employer who is not fussy about this and then you are set!

Guest Kevin Quinn

Wow.....the thought of heading over there to spend six months searching for work doing ANYTHING scares the crap outa me!

I was made redundant here in April and it took 8 weeks to find a job...which was a hell of a lot luckier than most ..... but those 8 weeks were not enjoyable. I constantly worried...(until i read "The Secret" that is).... so the thoughts of watching the pennies and bank balance diminish while getting rejected for cleaning jobs does make me think twice!

This is the point were loads of you jump in with reassuring messages saying that i'll pick up a minimum wage job no bother, that i should stop worrying and get over here next year lol

Guest wemadeit
Wow.....the thought of heading over there to spend six months searching for work doing ANYTHING scares the crap outa me!

I was made redundant here in April and it took 8 weeks to find a job...which was a hell of a lot luckier than most ..... but those 8 weeks were not enjoyable. I constantly worried...(until i read "The Secret" that is).... so the thoughts of watching the pennies and bank balance diminish while getting rejected for cleaning jobs does make me think twice!

This is the point were loads of you jump in with reassuring messages saying that i'll pick up a minimum wage job no bother, that i should stop worrying and get over here next year lol

Hi There Kev,

Pleased to hear you found work again. You are right in being cautious, but if your desire is to live in Oz, you won't regret it.................but beware, getting work on provisional/temporary visa is not easy! Adelaide is a nice city, alot less congested than the UK and some gorgeous beaches and the Adelaide are beautiful.

There is a definite breakdown between the state gov't who are trying to entice people here and their ability to translate this message to the business community who will ultimately employ you!! Make sure you investigate your visa, as we are on the 495 and as my wife has managed to get fulltime work we can Still apply for PR in her name, As for me, it is the hardest place on earth to find work (I have been offered work in Melbourne and Perth! - but refused the opportunity to take it due to my SIR ViSA is with SA!!).

We are in the worst economic global decline we have experienced in many years and this will be a factor wherever you are, but I have no regrets coming here, and we have met some wonderful friends through PIA - so if this is where you want to be...........do it!

All the best

Guest Kevin Quinn

Hi Tom, Thanks for this.......... I'm thinking being scared sh*tless is all part of the adventure! lol

We'll defo being giving it 150% to make a new life there and to be honest I'm looking to step down from the level of job i have here - no point chasing the higher standard of family life and being under too much pressure to enjoy it.

I'll take the first job comes my way and being in the cleaning industry i'm very comfortable around toilets......but not in a George Michael kinda way!

Guest bennyboyuk

Hi there,

Well, it is of some comfort to know that it is not just me at least!! I am going for positions, even ones that are temporary, that I have more than enough experience for, but to no joy so far!!

Dropped off my resume at all the local retail places as I will realistically take anything within reason!!

Good luck to you all though, if I find a decent avenue though to help people on working Visas I will let you know!!

Thanks

Ben

West Lake