Change of Direction

cormcvcr

Guest graandjac
Good for you girl.

You are a shining example of a pom who comes over here, works their sox off and whose glass is always half full.

If medals could be given you would win gold.

It's a shame a few other other people aren't prepared to follow your lead!

Everyone should pin this on their wall as insperation.......moral is..... never give up and be flexiable, good luck .

Guest lovettjo

Hey what a great story - my husband and I are are due to land in Adelaide end of May and to be honest have had lots of doubts, Ian is a floor finisher and has called many firms in Adelaide and they haven't been the most friendliest and also only to be told there is no work which is really worrying but looks like you have turned your hand to a new career. well done

Jo & Ian Lovett

Hi all,

as most of you know I came to Adelaide from Scotland and worked in Nutrition as aHealthy Eating Advisor. Unfortunately this line of work wasn't meant to be, so I managed to get a job within Flinders Hospital as a Personal Services Assistant, which was basically a cleaner with a fancy name. The job was casual and I was asked to go permanent starting in January. I did a two week training course within the department I was going to be working in, only to be told at the end of it the full time jobs weren't sorted out yet and it will take a while.

This meant that I had to look for my own shifts again and go onto standby, which as quite a lot of you know, this is difficult when you have young kids to drop everything and run.

Well.....here's the good bit, I thought why not open up a company offering domestic/commercial cleaning services. My OH is a painter & decorator and we thought it would be a great idea if we joined our companies together to create

"Argyle Painting & Cleaning Services".

We did this a couple of weeks ago and now I have my first client.....Andy is still working self employed with the varying degrees of work he gets in through other companies, but to tap into the cleaning services area in just a couple of weeks with the amount of companies that are out there is brilliant....I think anyway.

So 1 client now, hopefully more tomorrow......and you never know we may make a success of it that we will need to employ people ourselves, which could help new people coming to Adelaide looking for a few days work until they get themselves set up with the job they want to do.

So watch this space........

ps. the reason I wanted to post this was to let people know out there, that sometimes the job you came to do isn't quite the same or may be difficult to get, but it doesn't stop you from working at something, even if it isn't ideal, it's a start. Be open minded with the choices that you have, any job is better than none. Keep positive things have a way of working out when you least expect them and never give up trying x

HI Cornelia

I have just signed up to the forum and you are the first post I have read. Guess what I'm Lesley, Michael Donnellys wife! This has cheered me up as I am having a bad week and a really bad day. I think its a good omen that I have read your post.

To fill you in. We had decided on Melbourne and then found out Michael would have to do the IELTS to get enough points. Even though we got the results last Saturday and he got an overall 7.5 band we still dont have enough points for VIC. So our agent told us we could only go to ACT or WA. Neither of which ever appealed to us. So fed up I went on to PIO and found out that we could in fact get a state sponsorship for SA! ANd Adelaide had been our first choice anyway. So we have now come full circle and are going to submit a 176 for SA on Monday. Not sure whats going on with the agent but the help from the PIO site was great.

Anyway just like yourselves nothing has been straight forward but if you are determined it can be achieved.....just not in the straightest of paths. Anyway looks like you might get stuck with us soon (with any luck)

Hi all,

as most of you know I came to Adelaide from Scotland and worked in Nutrition as aHealthy Eating Advisor. Unfortunately this line of work wasn't meant to be, so I managed to get a job within Flinders Hospital as a Personal Services Assistant, which was basically a cleaner with a fancy name. The job was casual and I was asked to go permanent starting in January. I did a two week training course within the department I was going to be working in, only to be told at the end of it the full time jobs weren't sorted out yet and it will take a while.

This meant that I had to look for my own shifts again and go onto standby, which as quite a lot of you know, this is difficult when you have young kids to drop everything and run.

Well.....here's the good bit, I thought why not open up a company offering domestic/commercial cleaning services. My OH is a painter & decorator and we thought it would be a great idea if we joined our companies together to create

"Argyle Painting & Cleaning Services".

We did this a couple of weeks ago and now I have my first client.....Andy is still working self employed with the varying degrees of work he gets in through other companies, but to tap into the cleaning services area in just a couple of weeks with the amount of companies that are out there is brilliant....I think anyway.

So 1 client now, hopefully more tomorrow......and you never know we may make a success of it that we will need to employ people ourselves, which could help new people coming to Adelaide looking for a few days work until they get themselves set up with the job they want to do.

So watch this space........

ps. the reason I wanted to post this was to let people know out there, that sometimes the job you came to do isn't quite the same or may be difficult to get, but it doesn't stop you from working at something, even if it isn't ideal, it's a start. Be open minded with the choices that you have, any job is better than none. Keep positive things have a way of working out when you least expect them and never give up trying x

Meant to say Michael is terrible at DIY so Andy will be kept busy in our house when we get there and at least you will have a hairdresser you can trust!

Hi Les and Michael,

what a turn around for you guys, Andy is still in bed after too many mick jaggers last night, but I'll tell him the good news when he finally surfaces. Keep us informed and there's always a bed here when you arrive until you get sorted.

Take care x