Mobile phone and Laptop

Guest fazgallagher

Guest fazgallagher

Morning / afternoon all

Will my Nokia phone and Acer Laptop work in oz................simple question i know but

Regards Faz

Guest Guest75
Morning / afternoon all

Will my Nokia phone and Acer Laptop work in oz................simple question i know but

Regards Faz

If your mobile is unlocked - Yes.

Yes to the Acer as well.:cute:

Both will need to have Aussie plugs for the chargers though.

Guest Guest75
No, as soon as you step off the plane they will refuse to function. Something to do with the gravity over here.

Yes they will work. However the phone may need to be unlocked.

Nah,not gravity - it's the Coriolis effect.Everything will go around the wrong way.:P:p

Apologies to the O/P for the flippancy :cute:

Guest Woody and Jane

Tyke I believe you are correct. Due to the Coriolis Effect the hard disk and fan try to spin in the opposite direction causing them to short circuit. Holding the laptop upside-down will counter this effect as the laptop will be fooled into thinking it's still in the northern hemisphere. However if the laptop has a solid state hard disk you should be alright.:err:

The phone should be fine but it may need unlocking. However I had a sony that was locked in the UK that worked fine here without unlocking...

You will find that your phone wont work for Telstra next G, which is the service that gives the best coverage across SA, but is also the most expensive. If you live in a rural area, you will definitely need telstra next G coverage. Vodafone, and others do offer better rates, but the coverage is generally crap once you leave the city area.

If you bring your laptop, dont do what I did and put it in your checked in baggage....it got squashed and the hard drive made a lot of noise for the first month after arriving- then gave up the ghost completely.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Nah,not gravity - it's the Coriolis effect.Everything will go around the wrong way.:P:p

Apologies to the O/P for the flippancy :cute:

This effect is a myth folks, sorry. The effect of the Earth spinning is infinitesimal compared to the effect of the shape of the bath/toilet/sink etc.... Although it IS a darned funny Simpsons episode.

bartvsaustralia_08.jpg

Aren't I fun...?

From Wikipedia:

The formation of a vortex over the plug hole may be explained by the conservation of angular momentum. The radius of rotation decreases as water approaches the plug hole so the rate of rotation increases, for the same reason that an ice skater's rate of spin increases as she pulls her arms in. Any rotation around the plug hole that is initially present accelerates as water moves inward. If the water is so still that the effective rotation rate of the earth (once per day at the poles, once every 2 days at 30 degrees of latitude) is faster than that of the water relative to its container, and if externally applied torques (such as might be caused by flow over an uneven bottom surface) are small enough, the Coriolis effect may determine the direction of the vortex. Without such careful preparation, the Coriolis effect may be much smaller than various other influences on drain direction, such as any residual rotation of the water and the geometry of the container.Despite this, the idea that toilets and bathtubs drain differently in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres has been popularized by several television programs, including The Simpsons episode "Bart vs. Australia" and The X-Files episode "Die Hand Die Verletzt". Several science broadcasts and publications, including at least one college-level physics textbook, have also stated this.