URGENT: Any experts on employment law / contracts etc??

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi all

You've always been a helpful bunch and I've always tried to return the favour.

Was just wondering if anyone on here is, or knows, an expert/authority on Oz employment law, terms of contract etc??

Is there an equivalent to the Citezens Advice Bureau here?

I need some answers on something, PDQ...... Yikes.

Thanks all

Ryan

Hi there,

I am no expert but we've used these people (once and it was re my daughter's cas job)

http://www.lsc.sa.gov.au/cb_pages/legal_advice.php

and although they are only open during the week, they also have a basic guide to employment law in their handbook which is online at:

http://www.lsc.sa.gov.au/handbook_index.php

Hopefully someone more helpful will come along but until then, hopefully, this might help...a bit :) Unless it's a UK law problem in which case I'm just rambling again lol!

Good luck with whatever it is :)

LC

Guest panther
Hi all

You've always been a helpful bunch and I've always tried to return the favour.

Was just wondering if anyone on here is, or knows, an expert/authority on Oz employment law, terms of contract etc??

Is there an equivalent to the Citezens Advice Bureau here?

I need some answers on something, PDQ...... Yikes.

Thanks all

Ryan

Hi Mate, Contact Safework there is free information available just a phone call away.

Panther

Marino

Before engaging a solicitor, check if its something you can lodge yourself if you have to go to court. I was unfairly dismissed from one of my first jobs here in Oz but unfortunately I had no leg to stand on because even though it wasn't one of the reasons for dismissal, they could have got me for going on the internet for personal use. The employment law sucks here, that's why I go contracting.

Also consider the cost of a solicitor as well. One I spoke to charged either $400 or $600 a hour plus GST. The company will also deal with the issue slowly as a way of making it more and more costly for you, most people do not have the financial resources to take on companies and that is what they rely on. If you look at the woman that sued Hickinbottom I remember at the time her legal bill was up to $1 million and then she won and the company contested it, so the saga just goes on and on. I agree with Moosh the employment law here and they way it is 'interpreted' by companies can be harsh. I always say to people there is 'what should happen' and then there is the reality of 'what will happen'.