We've had enough, going home!

laura girling

:notworthy:Hi Guys,

We have decided to stop playing the game of snakes and ladders and return to England.

Adelaide is a wonderful place to bring up your children if you can earn the money to feed them in the first place. We are not on the bread line yet! but the money pot has ran out and just enough money to get home if we sell the car. Any offers will be considered? LOL.

We are definately not going home for the right reasons, which I feel is a shame, if anyone wants to offer my Husband a job feel free.

Also feel free to give good positive advice as Im at the end of my rope.

Lauraxxx:unsure:

Guest cunnah10
:notworthy:Hi Guys,

We have decided to stop playing the game of snakes and ladders and return to England.

Adelaide is a wonderful place to bring up your children if you can earn the money to feed them in the first place. We are not on the bread line yet! but the money pot has ran out and just enough money to get home if we sell the car. Any offers will be considered? LOL.

We are definately not going home for the right reasons, which I feel is a shame, if anyone wants to offer my Husband a job feel free.

Also feel free to give good positive advice as Im at the end of my rope.

Lauraxxx:unsure:

Hi Laura

I feel so very sorry for the awful situ you and your family are in!The grass defo is NOT always greener for everybody hey!

How long have you been there?

What a stressful situ for you having made the decision to return to the UK and start all over again!

You must read all the messages on here of people like myself about to take the plunge thinking that was you and your family not so long ago and now your are heading back home!!!

I am very worried about the whole relocation thing i have to be honest!Like most others we would be doing it in the hope of a better lifestyle and future for our 4 children!But what if we are one of the unlucky ones like yourself!

I am not one of these people who have longed to move to oz for many years!IT is not a lifetime dream of mine i have to be honest but i worry about my 4 kids if we stay in the UK with the amount of violence amongst teenagers etc!It was for them mainly that we decided to relocate to oz!I can't even say we would have chosen Adelaide as we have no choice where we go on the state sponsored SIR visa!We did want to follow our longstanding friends out to Perth but we couldn't!

It may work out for us it may not!But it is a huge gamble!We live in a nice area,nice home,kids in great school doing really well with lots of friends!We have our family network around us and some of the best friends you could ever ask for!We have a good lifestyle(just don't appreciate it enough)and with my OH bringing in decent wages,tax credits and child benefit(which we will lose in oz)we don't do too badly!

I am very wobbly again - especially when i here the sad story about you and your family!

When do you hope to return to the UK?

What do the kids think about it all?

I take it you would have stayed in Adelaide apart from the job situ and now lack of finances?

My heart goes out to you and i wish you all the luck in the world!

Gill

Guest Guzzler&Sas

wow Laura - what does your husband do?

Why have things not worked out for? How long have you been here?

I know you were coming along next saturday to the ladies meet up, but have you really given things a chance? The first year can be hard work, setting up a new life and so on, but please give us some more info so that perhaps we can help?

Cheers

Sas

:wubclub:

Guest graandjac

:shocked:Come on laura , there are so many jobs out there ....!!!! not sure what your hubby does but there is loads . After spending to long not working i to have got so a position where i NEED to work so iam now helping a landscape gardner not what i want to do long term but it pays the bills at $20.00per hour. Westlake shore is a expensive place to live being so close to the city, could you not find a cheaper rental we are in a brand new 3 bed place for $290.00 per week bit small but it will do for now and alot cheaper than most . Dig deep..... looking at you asking for suggestions i get the feeling your not ready to give up just yet .cheers Graham......... and good luck

Really sorry it hasn't worked out for you Laura, and wish you and your family all the best for the future.

What does your husband do by the way? (Just in case I hear of anything in the next few days!)

Diane

Hi Diane,

My Husband and I are both hairdressers, in the UK we had our own salon.

My hubby doesnt drive either. He is hardworking and willing to do anything that pays a better wage than $17 dollars p/h.

We have 3 kids 2 under kindy age and we didn't come all this way to spend less time with them.

Unfortunatly sometimes thats the way the cookie crumbles.

We do however still have our house back in the UK to return to, and it just seems we would have more support from friends and family when we need them most.

Thank you for your kind words and same to everyone who has quoted aswell.

Laura

:)

Hi Laura

I feel so very sorry for the awful situ you and your family are in!The grass defo is NOT always greener for everybody hey!

How long have you been there?

What a stressful situ for you having made the decision to return to the UK and start all over again!

You must read all the messages on here of people like myself about to take the plunge thinking that was you and your family not so long ago and now your are heading back home!!!

I am very worried about the whole relocation thing i have to be honest!Like most others we would be doing it in the hope of a better lifestyle and future for our 4 children!But what if we are one of the unlucky ones like yourself!

I am not one of these people who have longed to move to oz for many years!IT is not a lifetime dream of mine i have to be honest but i worry about my 4 kids if we stay in the UK with the amount of violence amongst teenagers etc!It was for them mainly that we decided to relocate to oz!I can't even say we would have chosen Adelaide as we have no choice where we go on the state sponsored SIR visa!We did want to follow our longstanding friends out to Perth but we couldn't!

It may work out for us it may not!But it is a huge gamble!We live in a nice area,nice home,kids in great school doing really well with lots of friends!We have our family network around us and some of the best friends you could ever ask for!We have a good lifestyle(just don't appreciate it enough)and with my OH bringing in decent wages,tax credits and child benefit(which we will lose in oz)we don't do too badly!

I am very wobbly again - especially when i here the sad story about you and your family!

When do you hope to return to the UK?

What do the kids think about it all?

I take it you would have stayed in Adelaide apart from the job situ and now lack of finances?

My heart goes out to you and i wish you all the luck in the world!

Gill

Hi Gill,

Im sorry, don't let us put you off, its that we dont have the right trade or the right and wage structure.

Adelaide is a wonderful place to live and to bring up children. its also very lonely akies friends and family are so far away.

please do your research and do a reckie before you take the plunge.

We have been here 8 months now, and its been great really, but like i said we can't earn the money.

Laura:wubclub:

Guest njacinthebox

Hi Laura,

I dont know if my story will help you at all but; my family and I immigrated to Sydney in 2003, hubby had a job but we found it very expensive and was counting pennies the whole time, then my son who turned 18 returned to the UK, leaving my hubby me and daughter who was 8 at the time, it was hard going for me, my son leaving. Having at this point lived in Sydney for a year we then moved to Perth as we heard it was cheaper, hubby took wage drop as wages were lower there, I could not settle, stuck it out for a year there missing my son, against all advice from people who had been out there for a long time I insisted on moving back to the UK. We too had rented our house out so had somewhere to come back to. The week I returned I sat in my empty lounge in my home which didnt really feel like home anymore and watched TV the news was on and it was the London bombings, I got a fleeting thought 'why did I come back?' but it passed as the first year came and went and I was enjoying being surrounded by all the family and friends we had left and busy decorating the house again!! The next year was tougher horrible long dark winters, the England I knew had got even worse in the 2 years we was away, kids hanging around in the streets, swearing and causing trouble and being in the minority in my local shopping centre! The third year knew I wanted to return and had the task of telling family once again we were going. We are returning to Australia in 6 weeks time and I know I am doing the right thing and will do any kind of work to make it this time. My hubby says I was one of the people that has to go through it all before I can settle, maybe you are the same. I realise your reasons are different to mine and every single situation is different but I wish I had not come back 3 years ago, I wish I had just come back for a holiday, reassessed the situation and made it work somehow, it would have saved a load of money and stress for everyone concerned. So I would just say think really carefully if there is any way you can make things work out because once you have lived there - here is such a big disappointment and its hard to go back ! This is just my story and my feelings and I hope it may help in some small way.

Jacqui

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I am sory to hear things have not gone too well for you Laura. I am a hairdresser myself, so yes $17 is average unless you are casual, then you tend to get more per hour.

You are in a no win situation there with both of you being hairdressers, you have no other trade to fall back on, one which could possibly pay more.

Also not much good if he cant drive, cuts down on his possibilites, unless you are on good public transport links, but they are hard to find.

As for people telling you there are loads of jobs out there????????????? At the end of the day you have come here as a hairdresser. Your trade is not exactly transferable to other jobs, getting a job here with no expirence is not always easy, that is of course if you wanted to change jobs.

Good luck on your return hope it works out for you

sarah

Guest caoimhe

Hi Laura

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having with employment, I have a lot of worry's about that myself. I think your return home is all the sadder because you know you are not doing it for the right reasons. I wish you and your family all the best for your future no matter where you are.

Guest Django
If you really want to stay in Oz, can't you sell your house in the UK? Surely that will give you some funds while you sort things over there?

A year ago this would have been an option. However there are a lot of people over here that can't sell their houses so trying to sell one from the other side of the planet is gonna be tough. I must say it would be an option in an ideal world. The funds from the house could be used to purchase/rent your own shop and work for yourselves. However the house market here has put a stop to that plan.:sad:

I really feel for you guys as it really is crunch time. I can't imagine how you are feeling wanting to stay there and seeing what you and your family will miss out on if/when you come back. I really hope something turns up very soon that allows you to stay on.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pete

Guest smit
If you really want to stay in Oz, can't you sell your house in the UK? Surely that will give you some funds while you sort things over there?

xxx

That would be a brave thing to do.....................knowing youd be living on your house equity.

This is a reality in some trades , there is no actual shortage of hairdressers here. there is a shortage of people willing to work for crap money.! There are so many hairdressing shops here eeking out a living (obviously some earn decent dough), because no one wants to work for someone else .

Guest Deb17

Hi Laura,

I've read some of your other posts and really do feel for you and your family's situation. Can't quite believe I'm saying this but isn't there any way hubby or yourself could find a job in another line of work and make it pay somehow so you could stay? Lord, I know I moan enough about being here but I know in the long run I'd regret going back to the UK now. I've done the two year thing almost and it is SO hard, I know. I miss my family, friends, having a good job, having my own house, having MONEY in my purse to spend etc but I know if I went back to the UK I would still be unhappy even if a genie was to miraculously drop it all in my lap again. I'd still be miserable there for all the same reasons that made us want to leave. If you really have no choice but to go back then I wish you and your family all the best of luck and hope you can find happiness and security again back 'home'.

Deb x

Guest cazzie

Hello Laura,

I am sorry you feel this way and have just read posts from people suggesting selling your UK house to fund your own salon. Maybe you could view this option as a golden opportunity to stay? I wish you all the best whatever you do. I am going to Adelaide on 30th August with no job to go to and of course I am apprehensive. However, I will give it my best shot.

Take care, Cazzie.

Guest moonraker1959

Hi there,

Would just like to wish you lots of luck with whatever you decide to do.I lived in Adelaide for 30 years so I know what its like.Its not all doom and gloom in the UK.I live in Wiltshire and it is heaven on earth,truly!!! Anyway best of luck xxx

Guest massive

Hi Laura,

Good luck if you decide to go back, we aren't there yet and all we ever get is people saying aren't you brave its such a big step, well not as brave as you because to be heading back for whatever reasons all of which seem personal to you will no doubt be just as hard

Take care and I hope all works out for you

Debbie x

xxx

Thanks for your reply,

There's a resession in England at the mo.

My house has been on the market quite a while, we reduced the price by fourty thousand pounds and now we are having offers ofsixty thousand less than what the price is now.

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Guest graandjac

As for people telling you there are loads of jobs out there?????????????

At that point laura had not said what her hubby did, and there is loads of jobs out there i was not trying to be negative good luck laura cheers Graham

I can only add my sympathy to all the others Laura. You are in a terrible situation and you're not alone. Some very good friends of ours, one of whom is also a hairdresser, are returning to the UK next week as they cannot survive on such a poor wage and after 13 months of struggling they too have had enough. I don't have any answers for you I'm afraid, I just wish you well on your return and hope that life in the UK will be better for you. Good luck and very best wishes.

I'm sure you've done everything you can Laura, and it's true that emigrating doesn't work for everyone, and you cannot live on sunshine alone. I really feel for you, and think you are being really brave to admit it's not working and look at the other options - so many people bury their heads in the sand until it's too late, so you can hold your head up girl, there's no shame in admitting it didn't work, at least you gave it your best shot and tried it, rather than spending your life thinking 'what if?'!

Just one thought (and sorry if it's something you've already considered and rejected for whatever reason) but have you thought of looking somewhere outside of Adelaide in one of the regions - Barossa, Murray Bridge, that sort of place (so not TOTALLY cut off from civilisation!)? I think a lot of the time when a profession is on the 'demand' list that means that they are short of people 'out in the stix' a bit, rather than in the more populated centre. You might also find that there is more community support somewhere like that, less need for a car for your OH, and still the 'lifestyle' for your kids. I have been speaking to a lot of people out towards Clare this week, admittedly in building type trades, and they are all crying out for people, so perhaps it might be worth a few phone calls to places further out, where rents may also be cheaper.

As I said, you have probably pursued every avenue so if you still feel going back to the UK is the best thing for your family, then go for it while you still can, and give yourself a pat on the back for having tried it in the first place, and having the courage to go back.

Diane

I'm sure you've done everything you can Laura, and it's true that emigrating doesn't work for everyone, and you cannot live on sunshine alone. I really feel for you, and think you are being really brave to admit it's not working and look at the other options - so many people bury their heads in the sand until it's too late, so you can hold your head up girl, there's no shame in admitting it didn't work, at least you gave it your best shot and tried it, rather than spending your life thinking 'what if?'!

Just one thought (and sorry if it's something you've already considered and rejected for whatever reason) but have you thought of looking somewhere outside of Adelaide in one of the regions - Barossa, Murray Bridge, that sort of place (so not TOTALLY cut off from civilisation!)? I think a lot of the time when a profession is on the 'demand' list that means that they are short of people 'out in the stix' a bit, rather than in the more populated centre. You might also find that there is more community support somewhere like that, less need for a car for your OH, and still the 'lifestyle' for your kids. I have been speaking to a lot of people out towards Clare this week, admittedly in building type trades, and they are all crying out for people, so perhaps it might be worth a few phone calls to places further out, where rents may also be cheaper.

As I said, you have probably pursued every avenue so if you still feel going back to the UK is the best thing for your family, then go for it while you still can, and give yourself a pat on the back for having tried it in the first place, and having the courage to go back.

Diane

Hi Diane, Thanks for your feedback, My Hubby has looked into labouring for builders as weve heard that at least its better paid. He's really a hardworker bless him.

Everytime we look at ads though they require either a driving licence or they have already been taken. If you know anyone who would like a labourer please keep me posted.

with thanks to everyone

Laura xxx

Confused ??!!! Are you saying that you have applied for work & been turned down as hairdressers? OR that there are 'no jobs' for you as hairdressers?

I would be very surprised if it was the latter. There are jobs for this skill 'surely' I see them regularly being advertised, of course I have no idea of the pay but isn't something better than nothing??!!

If going home is the answer for you then I wish you all the very best of luck for the future, but 8 months isn't very long?

I do know what you mean about family, it is hard for everyone & I honestly don't think that will ever change but hopefully over time it will get easier.

Take care in whatever you decide

Angela

Guest Bex & Nick
Confused ??!!! Are you saying that you have applied for work & been turned down as hairdressers? OR that there are 'no jobs' for you as hairdressers?

I would be very surprised if it was the latter. There are jobs for this skill 'surely' I see them regularly being advertised, of course I have no idea of the pay but isn't something better than nothing??!!

This is an agonising decision for anyone to make and I'm sure that they haven't made it lightly, without needing comments like this. Quite frankly, no, sometimes something is not better than nothing.

Hi Laura

sorry to hear things aren't going too well, not sure if you saw the ad in the advertiser on sat in business for sale it's a space for rent in a beauty salon in the western area working your own hours, the phone number is 0412 455 988 don't know if this would work for you or if it is for hair rather than nails etc? Maybe you have already got your flights back to the Uk? I know it can be tough to start out here, from our experience the first couple of years were challenging but for us things have worked out and we have a good quality of life here now. I hope everything works out for you all.