We've had enough, going home!

laura girling

Hi Bex & Nick

My reply to Laura was more confusion, I really wanted to understand better their circumstances. People who know me on this forum know me well enough to know that I am not posting a reply to pass judgement.

I do think 'something is better than nothing' but of course that is IMO & is not everyone elses, which is also fine, so I accept that you do not agree with my comment.

I wish Laura etc the very best of luck & only wish I could help them with work opps, their decision to go back is not something anyone would take lightly, including me.

Angela

Guest Django
People who know me on this forum know me well enough to know that I am not posting a reply to pass judgement.

This is true. Talk about jump down someones throat. :biglaugh:

To answer your question Angela, isn't the lack of work but the fact of lower pay scales then expected. Also the lack of a driving licence is narrowing the job oppotunities making it difficult to get reasonable employment.

Pete

Guest sarahsmartiepants

The other factor of course is there are lots of salons 10 a penny infact, but most of them want a part time worker, not full time, this way they can use you when they want. If Lauras hubby cant drive this narrows it down far more. you have to drive just about anywhere here and the transport is not that good!

Is there any chance of him learning to drive...it takes 6 months?

sarah

Guest Libby1971

I am sorry that you feel the work opportunities are not there for you. I have had a conversation in the last six months with another hairdresser. She came here on a student visa and according to that was only allowed to work 20 hours a week while doing a College course linked to hairdressing. She and a friend she met on the course could not find anywhere to take them so clubbed together and bought a salon. They pay themselves for 20 hours work and it is working for them.

I know many people here who take a backward step in the short term in order to move forwards in the long term. I think Angela is right to say get your foot in the door and an Australian reference on the CV, however it gets there and whatever it is for. I don't think anyone wants to come to the other side of the world and accept less than what they were earning in the UK but sometimes I don't think we have a choice, especially when the employers may not pay the rate. We came here prepared to work for whatever we could wherever we could in order to get known, get a reference and get some sort of money coming in.:unsure:

On a driving matter, you need 50 hours of driving before you can have your licence and a wait of 6 months. So if you get your 50hrs before the 6 months are up, you need a licenced driver (with more than 2 years experience) to supervise you in the car. Could someone help you with this so that you can get around?

Other point, could you work from home for a while?:idea:

I hope I am not being incredibly naive with the comments I am posting

Take care.

Libby

This is true. Talk about jump down someones throat. :biglaugh:

To answer your question Angela, isn't the lack of work but the fact of lower pay scales then expected. Also the lack of a driving licence is narrowing the job oppotunities making it difficult to get reasonable employment.

Both certainly do contribute yes.

Good luck Laura for the future whether it be in Adelaide or the UK.

Angela

Confused ??!!! Are you saying that you have applied for work & been turned down as hairdressers? OR that there are 'no jobs' for you as hairdressers?

I would be very surprised if it was the latter. There are jobs for this skill 'surely' I see them regularly being advertised, of course I have no idea of the pay but isn't something better than nothing??!!

If going home is the answer for you then I wish you all the very best of luck for the future, but 8 months isn't very long?

I do know what you mean about family, it is hard for everyone & I honestly don't think that will ever change but hopefully over time it will get easier.

Take care in whatever you decide

Angela

Hi Angela,

How can I say this without sounding annoyed?

There are lots of hairdressing jobs, The pay is $17 dollars an hour yes this is better than nothing, we are on one wage, this means it pays for the bills, food ect.

It means I cannot and When I mean cannot...

Buy any treats for my kids,

Cannot even buy them Birthday presents

Cannot save up for a rainy day

Cannot save up for Christmas presents

No Birthday Parties for my little girls

Okay you may say they would be better off here and all of the above doesn't particulary matter, but the fact is they do to them and they do to me.

I feel insucure financially for the first time in my whole married life and I don't like the feeling much.

Back home in the uk.

1. My children will beable to go to school and pre school, so it will allow me to work part time.

2. If my kids are sick i can take them to the doctors and not have to pay for medicine.

3. If they need to see a dentist It is free.

4. If I need contraception it is free.

5. The schools are free.

6. We can afford to save money.

7. We have friends and family for support.

Sorry if it feels like I annoyed, Im not, its just that I don't think you understand that it isn't enough to keep us here.

Lauraxxxx :sad:

Guest Nick11
Hi Angela,

How can I say this without sounding annoyed?

There are lots of hairdressing jobs, The pay is $17 dollars an hour yes this is better than nothing, we are on one wage, this means it pays for the bills, food ect.

It means I cannot and When I mean cannot...

Buy any treats for my kids,

Cannot even buy them Birthday presents

Cannot save up for a rainy day

Cannot save up for Christmas presents

No Birthday Parties for my little girls

Okay you may say they would be better off here and all of the above doesn't particulary matter, but the fact is they do to them and they do to me.

I feel insucure financially for the first time in my whole married life and I don't like the feeling much.

Back home in the uk.

1. My children will beable to go to school and pre school, so it will allow me to work part time.

2. If my kids are sick i can take them to the doctors and not have to pay for medicine.

3. If they need to see a dentist It is free.

4. If I need contraception it is free.

5. The schools are free.

6. We can afford to save money.

7. We have friends and family for support.

Sorry if it feels like I annoyed, Im not, its just that I don't think you understand that it isn't enough to keep us here.

Lauraxxxx :sad:

If its any consolation - which I doubt - there are lots of people in similar situations here. Some don't even qualify for any benifits.

However it sounds like you're making the right decision for you and your family. Some people thrive on a new challenge, whilst others feel they've done that,got the t-shirt and are too tired to start again.

Good luck to you - hope it works out

Nick

x

I do completely understand, however, I choose not to share them publicly on this forum & I only ever wanted to understand your circumstances better.

I imagine hairdressing is a skill that a no of people migrate as & therefore your experiences to them will be of great interest.

It is hard, I never said it was easy. We to have one wage & 2 children. We have no benefits, its the SIR495 visa which I know many of us are on.

My final comment on this post is good luck to you & your family, I hope you will be very happy in Adelaide or the UK, which ever you decide on.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest J-inOz

Know how you feel. We are still scraping by after nearly 3 years.

We have never been extravagant and lived beyond our means, but it really gets you down, when you have to watch every single penny.

The other half hasn't had constant work since he has been here and it is a bugger in December, when work stops mid december and doesn't pick up again until the end of January.

After all this though, I still wouldn't return back to England as the kids are thriving here (albeit, I can't affort to take them to the pictures etc)

I still remember why we left and apparentley it has got a lot worse and with the likes of everything going up in price and lack of jobs (building sites closing down) and even more immigrants arriving, it still wouldn't appeal to me. Yes we were better off financially but far from being rich.

We are just going to have to hope that one day we will win the lottery.

Good luck in whatever you do.

J

(albeit, I can't affort to take them to the pictures etc)

J

When I read this, it occurred to me that you might not have tried the "Drive In Cinema" yet. We find the cinema to be an extremely expensive treat here, but have recently discovered the Drive-In at Gepps Cross - $22 for a car load (if you have a 7-seater you could go halves with another family) - you can take your own drinks and snacks. They show three films - the cost goes up a little, the more films you stay for.

Do a Google Search for Drive-in and Adelaide for more details!

When I read this, it occurred to me that you might not have tried the "Drive In Cinema" yet. We find the cinema to be an extremely expensive treat here, but have recently discovered the Drive-In at Gepps Cross - $22 for a car load (if you have a 7-seater you could go halves with another family) - you can take your own drinks and snacks. They show three films - the cost goes up a little, the more films you stay for.

Do a Google Search for Drive-in and Adelaide for more details!

http://www.wallis.com.au/cinema.php?cinema_id=7

Never been myself, but sounds like fun! :)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

the screen is still standing (at least I think that is what it was) on the corner of Majors and south rds. Wish it would re-open!:)

• 2 years later...
:notworthy:Hi Guys,

We have decided to stop playing the game of snakes and ladders and return to England.

Adelaide is a wonderful place to bring up your children if you can earn the money to feed them in the first place. We are not on the bread line yet! but the money pot has ran out and just enough money to get home if we sell the car. Any offers will be considered? LOL.

We are definately not going home for the right reasons, which I feel is a shame, if anyone wants to offer my Husband a job feel free.

Also feel free to give good positive advice as Im at the end of my rope.

Lauraxxx:unsure:

I am so glad we stayed x:jiggy:

• 1 year later...
Guest Shmaggle

Just reading around the forum and ended up on your 'had enough, going home, thread...got to the end and you stayed! I know it is a while ago since your post but are you still in Adelaide? If you are, how did you work it out so you could stay?! Know, I am being nosey!

Hi I know hairdressing doesn't pay well Hubby came over on a skills visa as a hairdresser and he found work really quickly offered 3 jobs on the 1st day and that was just going around barber shops. A friend of ours was looking for someone at Fat boy trims in Gawler could lead to being fulltime as I know he has been flat out. My hubby didn't stay in hairdressing and is now a cop which he loves. Mobile hairdressing could be a good thing too i use to be a hairdresser (many moons ago) and as soon as I mention that I always get asked to do their hair lol.

Guest guest9403

Wow...never looked at the post dates and only realised at the end they stayed....would love to hear why?? and how they are doing now??...only here 6 mths and im wishing the mths away till our first year is up so i can go home :-(...Australia not for me!!!

Guest Chelseadownunder

Its awfull over here working in salons. Crap money and the bosses are usually 21 yr old hitlers who are just out of nappies. Would rent a chair be an option? I guess you have already looked into that. I honestly dont know how anyone could survive as an employed hairdresser over here and they say its a trade they need !!!???

Guest the hurns

hi laura reading your blog was like reading my mind!! you are feeling just the same as i am ive bein on an emotional rollercoaster since we started i love my life here!! love my friends love my family love my home love everything BUT i have to keep thinking of my boys and what our county is coiming to what is there going to be here for them when there old enough to work!! not a lot i dont think we have friends already out there and they are having a ball!! just hope mu husband gets work that is my main worry!!! as he has had steady work here for the past year!! what to do hey!! we have our visa and have to be gone by jan the 16th crapping myself to tell you the truth!! hope all goes you way

julie